PDA

View Full Version : No more milk allergy??? Can it be???

MamaMolly
10-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Last August DD had another blood test and her numbers for milk and egg were down, cat was the same and peanuts were up. Our doctor suggested that we trial dairy and egg one at a time, so in September I gathered my courage (and epi pen!) and gave DD some yogurt. She ate it twice and wasn't really interested but had no reaction. Here we are in October and she asked for some of my yogurt this week and then ate TWO CARTONS yesterday and the day before. :eek: And she's fine.
Tonight DH gave her a grilled cheese and she gobbled it up. I cried.

This opens a HUGE window of nutrition for us. I am beside myself with wonder, relief and joy. Tempered with terror. I cannot believe it. It has been a LOOOOOONG 3 years. I just had to share some good news about food allergies. :)

bubbaray
10-21-2009, 08:18 PM
:cheerleader1:

I completely understand! :) Bring on the pizza!!!!

almostamom
10-21-2009, 08:20 PM
WOOOHOOOOO!!! Eliminating a food allergy is always a reason to celebrate!:yay::cheerleader1::yay::cheerleader1::y ay::cheerleader1: Perhaps some ice cream is in order? :hug:

Linda

LBW
10-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Yay!!! DS2 passed his peanut food challenge last week, and I was pretty darn happy. But milk - holy cow you must be beyond thrilled! That's awesome news.

crl
10-21-2009, 08:41 PM
OMG, hooray! Bring on the pizza and ice cream!

Catherine

infomama
10-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Awesome! I recall the day when I got to choose a carton of whole milk instead of soy....it was liberating.

mytwosons
10-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Yay! That is such great news and it has to make your life so much easier! Mmmm.....cheese!

tnrnchick74
10-21-2009, 09:19 PM
hopefully this will be up soon...in about 6 months...

Congrats!!!

marie
10-21-2009, 09:26 PM
:yay:

congrats to you and to your DD! what a relief!

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

desertmama
10-21-2009, 09:41 PM
:yay: I am SO happy for you guys! (and a wee bit jealous too ;))

Definitely have some ice cream! :)

KpbS
10-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is great news :cheerleader1: :cheerleader1: :cheerleader1:

Hope we can post the same some day :)

MontrealMum
10-21-2009, 10:10 PM
That is great news! So happy for all of you :cheerleader1:

DrSally
10-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah!!! I remember well the day DS passed his milk challenge at 2 yo. It was such a relief and opened up a lot of nutritional choices for us. I didn't have to follow him like a around on playdates so he wouldn't get a piece of cheese in his mouth or pick up somone else's sippy full of milk. We didn't have to bring our own food on vacation and we could eat out at restaurants with more ease. Recently, he's begun eating baked egg too and it has been a lot of fun. Eggs weren't as hard to avoid as milk, but it's still been fun having pancakes and other baked goods.

I totally understand your joy and am very happy for you guys!!

BTW, DS's peanut has gone up with each testing as well.

LarsMal
10-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!! :cheerleader1: That is such wonderful news! Hopefully the other ones follow and someday she will be allergy free!

This gives me hope...we just got the results back from DS's latest RAST testing. His egg was way up and dairy up a little. :(

I love hearing these positive stories. Someday I *will* be able to share DS's story, too!

bigsis
10-22-2009, 12:27 AM
WHAT?! WOW!!! That is so awesome!

I'm so jealous right now. I'm very happy for you and your LO. That gives me lots of hope for the future. :)

DrSally
10-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!! :cheerleader1: That is such wonderful news! Hopefully the other ones follow and someday she will be allergy free!

This gives me hope...we just got the results back from DS's latest RAST testing. His egg was way up and dairy up a little. :(

I love hearing these positive stories. Someday I *will* be able to share DS's story, too!

If it makes you feel better, DS's egg went up before it went down (at first he just had egg white and on the next test it was higher for egg white and also incl. the yolk, then the next year it was just egg white again and really low, low enough to do baked egg). I heard that the numbers tend to spike before they go down.

HIU8
10-22-2009, 10:34 AM
DS did not have a true allergy, but until around age 2 he got sick every time he drank milk (or ate a milk product). I'm so happy for you. I remember the first time we bought cow's milk and tried it and NO VOMIT. Then came the yogurt. It is so liberating. I'm patiently waiting for DD to be able to tolerate milk as well (so far certain yogurts and some cheeses only).

Clarity
10-22-2009, 10:40 AM
This is great news! Hearing these stories keeps me hopeful!

LarsMal
10-22-2009, 11:26 AM
If it makes you feel better, DS's egg went up before it went down (at first he just had egg white and on the next test it was higher for egg white and also incl. the yolk, then the next year it was just egg white again and really low, low enough to do baked egg). I heard that the numbers tend to spike before they go down.

That does make me feel better. His levels went from 14 to 12 to 48 for egg. His milk from 4 to 2.8 to 7.6. The doc still wants to do a milk challenge, but I am NOT ready for that. Not at this level. And he did say he is still very confident that DS will outgrow them. The tree nuts were barely positive, so that was good, and the beef and pork were also very low this time.

Sorry, Molly, didn't mean to hijack your happy post!!!!