PDA

View Full Version : how much can you pump after a feeding?

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
10-21-2009, 08:41 PM
DD is 10 days old. Milk supply is low, and the LC won't let me stop supplementing until I can successfully pump out 1/2 oz from both breasts combined, AFTER a feeding. Right now, I pump both sides for 10 minutes, and get drops, it's maybe 2 or 3 ml's at most, both breasts combined.

I've never been a successful pumper. With DS#2, at 9 months, I started work part time, and had to pump. I'd only get 2 oz from each breast for a 15 minute pumping session. I'm pretty sure I should've been getting a lot more than that!

So my question is, how much milk are you able to get after a feeding? Am I crazy for thinking that baby is getting enough from me alone without supplementing? At this point, I feel like we've turned the corner on BF'ing - she's got a good latch, milk is in, I'm on fenugreek. Although, from the before/after weight thing, she's apparently only getting 1.2 oz from me, and should be getting 2 oz per feeding....

So confused...

--Jennifer

Momof3Labs
10-21-2009, 10:00 PM
the LC won't let me stop supplementing until I can successfully pump out 1/2 oz from both breasts combined, AFTER a feeding.

That's crazy. Not everyone is effective with the pump, and the pump is NEVER as effective at removing milk as the baby.

I'd personally rather see you get a Medela scale and do pre- and post-feeding weights throughout the day (or just weight checks every couple of days). Babies don't take the same amount each time they nurse, and for whatever reason, your DD may have taken less the one time the LC was there. If you can check throughout the day, you can get a better idea if she is getting, say, 2oz per feeding on average vs. 2oz at every single feeding.

egoldber
10-22-2009, 06:37 AM
I agree with Lori. After a feeding, I was never really able to pump much.

FWIW, Amy was always a nurse "snacker". She seldom nursed for very long or took very much.

Snow mom
10-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Wow, I think this is pretty ridiculous. The LC may be helping you with a BF problem, but she isn't your mom (and let's face it, if she were you probably would ignore her.) If you've never produced well for a pump and aren't going to be pumping for the baby I wouldn't worry at all about pump output. I'm so surprised that a LC would base anything on pumping, which as mentioned by pp really doesn't necessarily indicate supply. I would taper off supplementing as it seems your LO is gaining weight well and producing enough wet/dirty diapers. Maybe a rental baby scale would be good for reassuring yourself that they are still gaining as you stop supplementing. I wouldn't weigh after every feeding-- you'll drive yourself batty.

DebbieJ
10-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Have you visited www.lowmilksupply.org?

Are you supplementing with bottles? Have you tried using the SNS? I supplement at the breast with the SNS and although it is a tad cumbersome, it helps DS get the most from me.

How much fenugreek are you taking? Are you taking any other herbs? Be sure to stay well hydrated, too.

Hang in there!

jenny
10-22-2009, 10:51 AM
You only get 2 ounces from each breast after a 15-minute pumping session when you're at work and haven't fed DS?

I think that's low. If you haven't "emptied" your breast with a feeding and you're only pumping 2 ounces, I would consider upping your milk supply with either Fenugreek or eating a lot of oatmeal.

Also, I would pump for 20 minutes each breast and make sure you are slowly increasing the speed of the pump from low to high through the session until it's comfortable but not painful. (this is if you have a medela pisa) and press the letdown button at least once.

WatchingThemGrow
10-22-2009, 10:59 AM
At that stage, I only got drops nursing after a feeding, IF the baby was efficient. Only #3 was efficient. The others had sucking issues or were tongue-tied. Would either of those be the case? We used trixietracker.com to keep the pre/post feeding weight data as well as the how much I've pumped data. it was easier to read everything when they could compute it. Is the baby inching back up yet?

ITA with renting a scale for home use for a couple weeks. Weigh at different times of the day (only if you have help around for the older one).

How is the baby's demeanor if you're just nursing and not supplementing? Mine turned into a very different, calm baby (well, babies) when supplemented. BUT...I have documented supply issues. I actually get more from pumping than the baby takes.

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
10-22-2009, 03:14 PM
I've cut out supplementing and the after nursing-pumping sessions at night. I need to sleep! Baby seems okay at night. She goes back to sleep. Sleeps between 2 and 3 hours (sometimes 3.5) at a stretch, just on my milk alone.

I've decided to keep the supplements going during the day, until our next LC appointment, which is Saturday. I'm hoping that she'll have gained sufficient weight so that they can taper off or tell me to stop the supplements.

She was jaundiced at first, so they said to wake her up and do the supplements - apparently weight gain and jaundice were the first things to take care of - sleep for mom and baby are secondary issues at that point. But baby is now 12 days old, jaundice should be gone by now, right? (doesn't poop get rid of jaundice? she just had a big one - pooped out of her diaper and all over the blanket - yuck).

I appreciate all of the words of wisdom from you mamas. It did seem a bit weird to me - in my view, 1/2 oz from the pump after feeding baby would indicate an oversupply issue?

--Jennifer

srhs
10-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Our issues were a little different in that I was producing enough but DS2 was not draining it. So I could pump 2-3 oz. after feeds....after 45 mins feeds.
That said, I finally got a digital infant scale for home. It was driving me mad not knowing how much he was getting, if it was possibly supply, etc. Weighing them before and after feeds is just the only way to know, I think. Check your CL and consignment shops. Some medical supply stores rent them, but none around here unfortunately.
I think the scale would provide better info for you than post-nursing pumping because once the milk is there, your DC is going to take it, right? That said, you'll probably have to keep up pumping (totally stinks, I know!) until she is getting enough.
GL!