PDA

View Full Version : I thought this was weird

katydid1971
10-21-2009, 11:30 PM
DS started Suzuki Violin last month and really loves it. We are taking lessons from a wonderful teacher with a small school which is great because DS needs a more flexible environment. There is one boy who also just started, he's 6 months older than DS. The teacher teaches the kids in a private lesson once a week and in a "group lesson" (just the two boys) twice a month. She paired the two together because they have the same "energy level." At first it seemed like the two would get along pretty well. Then little things started to happen. At an early group lesson "Scott" (not the DC's name) made a comment about his violin being prettier. OK whatever. Then he makes comments about playing better (neither really play yet). Today when "Scott's" mom was working with the teacher before our lesson he said to DS "Are you a brother if you are I'm a better brother than you." WHAT?!?!?!? I said that all brothers were good and that its important to love your sisters (they both have little sisters). Scott: "Well I love my sister more than anyone else'" HUH?!?! Is it common for an almost 5 year old be this competitive? I kinda laugh because DS is so uncompetitive plus he has receptive language issues and totally doesn't even know that there is even a competition. I love this teacher and I know DS LOVES the violin (he love all instruments). I don't anticipate our leaving this school anytime soon, I hope this competition by Scott doesn't ruin violin for DS.

Tondi G
10-22-2009, 12:56 AM
speak with the violin teacher about it. Maybe she could pair your child up with another student. Doesn't sound like the kind of kid I would want my child spending a lot of time with!