PDA

View Full Version : What's up with toy parties?

MontrealMum
10-21-2009, 11:59 PM
This should be a s/o because I know someone started something recently about product hosted parties, but I didn't click on it and I can't remember who started it (I am getting old!).

I have been invited twice now by the same mom (casual acquaintance) to a toy party at her house. Declined the 1st time because DS was sick and it was DH's late night out (though I didn't really want to go). Also, our church's Halloween "ball" (for kids) is hosting someone to present on something called Discovery Toys at the same time as the H-een party. I've never gone to the Halloween thing at church before, but I thought it was a safe place for kids to do fallish/H'weeny things like get their faces painted, bob for apples, get some candy, and dress up. We're pretty picky about what toys we buy for DS so I am wanting to avoid an awkward situation with this mom. (not so worried about the church thing, DS really isn't old enough to care)

What's up with this sort of thing? Am I expected to buy? Why so many?

I've read about some of you hosting things that seem to just give you and your friends free perks, but this is really unheard of in my area. Any insight is appreciated :)

sariana
10-22-2009, 12:04 AM
I don't know about toy parties, but I do know several people who have started to sell various products as a way to supplement their income (or in one case, to have an income :().

I also don't know about the proper etiquette in this type of situation. I would politely decline. But it's easy for me because DH is gone, so people know I don't have childcare.

Sillygirl
10-22-2009, 08:35 AM
As far as I'm concerned, it's not a party, it's a invitation to shop, just like JC Penney sends me invitations to shop in the mail all the time - but those usually have coupons. Go or don't go as you wish. If you do go, buy or don't buy. I don't even really consider a response necessary - I don't call JC Penney to tell them I won't be attending their Columbus Day sales - but when it's personal acquaintances I do understand wanting to keep things friendly. I think these businesses are super-tacky.

Joolsplus2
10-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I went to a Discovery Toys party, it was kind of fun, my kid just played with the toys. I only bought this one really cool I Spy type book because I actually liked it, otherwise I wouldn't have bought anything, and not felt bad about it. They DO have some really neat toys, though :)
It's really just multi level marketing, same as Mary Kay, Amway, Arbonne, Tastefully Simple, Pampered Chef and Tupperware. Someone's trying to make a living selling stuff to you, for sure. And they'd prefer it if you signed up to sell stuff, too...Just Say No, it's a lot more work than they make it look like.
:)

vonfirmath
10-22-2009, 09:17 AM
I'd LOVE to go to a Discovery Toys party. I've never been invited :( But My son loves his Discovery Toys marble tower and the bath toy I found (these things come up on the secondary market) I'd like to see what else they have!

I also like Pampered Chef parties. (My sister and several friends have sold. If I was going to go into business, this is the one I would do)

I like Tupperware, but its gotten too pricy for me.

I like one Avon toy (the baby shape sorter thing) but I figure a party would just bore me cause I am not interested in their main line.

I do think its really odd for the church to do it in conjunction with their kids festival -- that makes it seem like the church is sponsoring it/approving of the toys in some official way and that sets wrong. I would investigate further in that instance if it was my church.

MamaMolly
10-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Yup, Discovery Toys is a direct marketing thing like Avon and Tuperware. We have the Measure Up Cup set, it is a set of nesting cups that are calibrated and numbered. So if your DC fills up a #2 cup and the #3 cup and dumps it into the #5 cup it will fill the #5 exactly. I like them just that much more than regular stacking cups. I think the nubby balls are also really nice for a first ball.

IIRC the toys that are recommended for children with Autism and other special needs are labeled as such, which is helpful. THe toys are also broken into age groups.

When I taught school we had several of the peg-type toys, the counting bears and other things. I don't think they are a Discovery Toys exclusive, and it was nice to find a resource for that stuff.

Like any toy store, some of the stuff is really great and some of it is junk. I'd suggest looking at a DT website and see if you liked stuff if you want to check it out without pressure. Then if you want to order go to the show so your church gets the benefit.

Corie
10-22-2009, 12:12 PM
I was just looking at the Discovery Toys marble run toy for my son.

I have a few old Discovery Toys. I like their stuff.

hanaum02
10-22-2009, 01:11 PM
I think Discovery Toys has some great stuff. I went to one party a few years ago, but would love to go to another (or maybe host one). I really didn't feel any pressure to buy when I was there. It's absolutely fine not to.

Michelle

Puddy73
10-22-2009, 01:12 PM
DS received a nice play dough set from Discovery Toys as a gift. I do think that it is kind of tacky to sell stuff at a church party.

Melaine
10-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Discovery Toys has fun stuff, they have been around forever. However, being invited to a "toy party" that isn't called Discovery Toys is kind of a head-scratcher. I wonder if it was something different....

vonfirmath
10-22-2009, 01:22 PM
I just realized. I wonder if this is a church fund-raiser? In which case, it makes more sense (but is evidently not being advertised that way?) I know church kitchens will sometimes do Pampered Chef parties to "stock the kitchen" . So they may be trying to do that with Toys to "stock the nursery/early education childhood" THAT I would support. Because the church will be benefitting from the "Host benefits" -- not some individual trying to get themselves free stuff.

*shrugs* It makes a difference to me.

MontrealMum
10-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks for your insight, everyone. I will admit that I'm a little bothered that my church is sponsoring this in addition to what's supposed to be a social kids night. I don't really think it's appropriate for the church, but things have been going south there for awhile, so this is probably just one of many poor decisions. I don't know. And maybe it is some sort of fundraiser-but things are very odd there lately, so much so that we often attend another church entirely because I disagree with a lot of what's going on (not that that's pertinent here). But it's good to hear that Discovery Toys are well liked here. We probably won't go anyways as DS is too young to really appreciate most of their normal activities (apple bobbing and other games).

The "toy party" is something I'm going to have to think more about. She did not say what kind/brand of toys, though I suppose I could ask. We are on a limited budget right now since I have yet to find a f/t job, so I don't want to get myself into an awkward position where buying is heavily encouraged. Obviously, I'd say no, but I just don't like awkwardness. And don't get me started on the pressure to sell!?! I think the easiest way is just to not go. Apparently the party will be during the day, when I'm generally working anyways - even though I WAH. I've got some things to think about - thanks. I am a little troubled that she hosted a toy party last week, and then Mon. night emailed me that she's going to be doing it again. Are they normally done so close together? Sounds more like a tupperware/amway sort of work-from-home thing than a onetime bonus thing like you guys talk about here. So I think I'd like to stay faaaar away!

egoldber
10-22-2009, 01:34 PM
In fairness to her, Discovery Toys (if that is what they are) are very popular. And a lot of people are shopping for the holidays now and she could easily have had a lot of people ask when she was doing another party. This is likely her busiest time of year.

vonfirmath
10-22-2009, 02:30 PM
If you are a consultant for a company and this is your primary income, yes you are doing parties multiple times a week. This is a consultant's business. Not just a way to get a few free items.

If you are a host, its a one-time (maybe once a month, maybe once in 6 months, maybe once in a lifetime) thing. If you are a consultant, it's your income. It's liking running a storefront business, but the sales model is different. Yes, Discovery Toys is like Tupperware. (I don't put ANY of these in the same category as Amway, though. Amway. Is a different thing entirely. They DON'T run parties, they just try to get folks to sign up and sell. And guilt them into it by being "Good Christians" and such. And sell future riches, etc.)

MontrealMum
10-22-2009, 02:57 PM
If you are a consultant for a company and this is your primary income, yes you are doing parties multiple times a week. This is a consultant's business. Not just a way to get a few free items.

If you are a host, its a one-time (maybe once a month, maybe once in 6 months, maybe once in a lifetime) thing. If you are a consultant, it's your income. It's liking running a storefront business, but the sales model is different. Yes, Discovery Toys is like Tupperware. (I don't put ANY of these in the same category as Amway, though. Amway. Is a different thing entirely. They DON'T run parties, they just try to get folks to sign up and sell. And guilt them into it by being "Good Christians" and such. And sell future riches, etc.)

Thanks for the explanation. I have read the posts about various types of these parties, but we don't have much of this up here so it's not something I know much about, and I don't really know the differences between different types. My knowledge is limited to Avon and Tupperware of the 70's from the perspective of a child LOL. And Amway - I have nothing good to say about them :(

In fairness to her, Discovery Toys (if that is what they are) are very popular. And a lot of people are shopping for the holidays now and she could easily have had a lot of people ask when she was doing another party. This is likely her busiest time of year.
This is a good point, Beth. Thanks.