PDA

View Full Version : looking for a nut-free food/snack list or website

hollybloom24
10-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Does anyone have a link to a website, or a list of nut-free, not processed in a nut factory snack items?

Our preschool has always been nut-free, but now is moving to the next step of only allowing foods and snacks that are totally nut-free and not processed in facilities that process foods with nuts.

In terms of baked goods, we are no longer allowed to bring in foods baked in the home anymore. All items must be comercially packaged with ingredients listed, or from a bakery that provides an ingredient list (like for birthday cupcakes).

I am in full support of this change, and I am just trying to educate myself and maybe the other parents.

TIA!

jess_g
10-22-2009, 09:23 AM
I have not bought from them yet, but you can try this website for some ideas of what is nut free:

Peanutfreeplanet.com

I am going to buy the Quaker granola bars from this site so I can finaly send them into school with my boys.

Jessica.

alien_host
10-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Yay for your school (and it's in MA)! As a parent of a child with nut allergies, it is hard to find a list because manufacturers do change processes and the labeling could change periodically. So today Oreos could be safe but next week they might move the production to a plant and start labeling that it is processed on shared equipment with nuts.

The best advice I can offer is that you need to read the ingredient lists every time you buy a new package.

There are tons of options out there but I hesitate to list them out since it can change.

Granola bars are VERY hard to find. And if you do find nut free/not processed in a nut facility they usually are $$$$.

Personally I stick with brand names like Nabisco, Pepperidge Farm etc and just keep reading labels. Trader Joes is another tough place to shop...it seems like everything is made on shared equipment or in a facility with nuts. You can find things in bulk at Costco/Bjs (or in the snack bags).

I'm not sure if that is helpful to you.