PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to get a dental crown while pg?

JTsMom
10-22-2009, 09:51 AM
I've been stalling on having mine put in, but I think my temp is getting a little loose at this point. The dentist's office says it is safe, but I wanted to see if anyone here had anything to say about it. Maybe waiting until the end of the 1st trimester would be better? I still have several weeks if I do that though.

almostmom
10-22-2009, 10:03 AM
I would wait until after your first trimester, but after that it is fine. I actually had dental/gum surgery on an implant during my second trimester. They really feel that it's better to do dental work while pregnant than to wait, as any infections or problems from a small dental issue is worse than a minor fix. I had novacaine (sp.) and everything and all was fine.

Kymberley
10-22-2009, 10:08 AM
It's fine. Try not to have anesthesia if you can, but if you need it, they can give you a safe alternative to anything containing epinephrine.

wellyes
10-22-2009, 10:20 AM
The only thing dental work that I know of to avoid while PG is getting amalgam fillings removed (mercury issue).

smilequeen
10-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Typically if they are just putting in the crown there is nothing you would need to worry about in your first trimester safety-wise. Comfort could be different...especially if you have a strong gag reflex whilte pregnant.

If you needed anesthesia, lidocaine without epi is also perfectly safe. Nitrous is not safe.

I think most people prefer to wait until you are in the second trimester for anything elective, but placing a crown is a really simple procedure. Check what your OB reccommends, but it's usually along the lines of "no epinephrine, no nitrous".

DebbieJ
10-22-2009, 12:17 PM
I had a root canal & crown while pregnant. There were no problems.

lchang25000
10-22-2009, 12:29 PM
I would wait until after the first trimester. I had oral surgery and took antibiotics when I was 33 weeks along and everything was fine.

c&j04
10-22-2009, 04:05 PM
My Dr. says 2nd trimester only for dental work. The dentist also has to fax in a list of what procedures/ medications they will be using and Dr. will sign off on it. When arriving at dental appt, she said ask to see copy, if not signed, call immediately or reschedule. HTH.