PDA

View Full Version : ?- hormones almost 6 months pp

LarsMal
10-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Are hormones still completely out of whack 6 months pp? I am in such a funk right now. I don't remember feeling this way with the first 2 so I don't know if it's my hormones, or just life in general!

maydaymommy
10-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Don't know much, but I do know that hormones can still be a mess at 6 months pp.

PLUS, it is entirely possible to have post-partum depression set in around 6 months. Not at all rare.

Feel better and seek help if you need it.

Cheburashka
10-22-2009, 11:37 AM
6 months, my hormones were ok. 7 months, and mine have been going crazy. Thankfully, not in the 'raging bitch' way, but in the 'everything makes me cry' way. I cried at the commercial for dishwashing soap with the animals covered in oil this morning. :hug: Feel better.

shawnandangel
10-22-2009, 11:58 AM
I did not get PPD until 6 months PP, so yes, it is very possible!

elektra
10-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Hope you get out of that funk soon. I am coming up on 6 mo PP in a few weeks and I actually feel ok, although I think I do still have some hormonal "issues". But it's nothing like my state of mind at 6 weeks PP where looking back I realize how crazy some of my thoughts were. I thought DH despised me, I despised him, was considering leaving him. Stuff like that.
Can you talk to your DH about how you are feeling? How about your doctor? It's probably worth getting a professional opinion on.

JTsMom
10-22-2009, 01:30 PM
:hug: Think about getting your thyroid levels checked too. Sometimes they get wacky pp.

MontrealMum
10-22-2009, 01:41 PM
I would consider both PPD and thyroid issues. Once I went on meds for my thyroid things were so much better! Pregnancy can totally throw you out of whack, and then normal new-baby fatigue and stress can keep women from complaining because they think it's normal. Untreated hypothyroidism can cause depression. I'd see your doc and present both possibilities.

sste
10-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I was like a crazy person for 9 months and THEN the post-partum set in. I think some pregnancies/people are just susceptible to hormonal fluctuations. I so clearly recall feeling like I was being controlled by some outside force - - this was not my familar low-level brand of craziness/quirkiness, it was like a hormone tsunami!

So, I think its not unusual. :)

egoldber
10-22-2009, 01:46 PM
It could be hormones, or it could be that you are have just moved, are cooped up in a small apartment with 3 little kids, dealing with building a house and a DH who works crazy hours who lets your kids run wild at bedtime.

Just sayin.... :loveeyes:

And :hug:

elektra
10-22-2009, 02:03 PM
It could be hormones, or it could be that you are have just moved, are cooped up in a small apartment with 3 little kids, dealing with building a house and a DH who works crazy hours who lets your kids run wild at bedtime.

could be that too! :)

saschalicks
10-22-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm 8 mo PP. I can say that at 6 mo my hormone levels went to the roof. How do I know my face broke out in terrible acne that I cannot control. It's very obviously hormones and not anything else.

As for PPD I've heard it can set in as late as 1 year later. I have chronic depression so I'm on meds all of the time, so I cannot attest to it setting in late, but I do know many people who have been in that situation. Seek medical help JIC.

LarsMal
10-22-2009, 02:17 PM

That would be the "life in general" part of it!!

BabyMine
10-22-2009, 02:20 PM
My hormones were wacked out until 9 months pp. I still have some residual crankiness.

LarsMal
10-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks, ladies!
I haven't officially switched doctors yet, but my OB said I can call her anytime if I have any questions/problems (she's 2 hours away). I asked her to check my thyroid when I went in for my annual a month ago, but she said everything was fine during my pregnancy. Um...can't they change?!?!

I know a lot of it has to do with everything that's been going on in my life since February. I pretty much regret "letting" DH apply for and accept his current job and everything that has come along with it. I don't think my hormones (or thyroid?) are helping the situation at all.

I don't know if I necessarily feel "depressed", but maybe I don't recognize the symptoms.

sigh...

Thanks again!

SnuggleBuggles
10-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I've been suspecting that my thyroid has been off for a few months now. I started gaining weight with no major lifestyle changes, possibly even some improvements. I finally got the test last week and it is underactive. I don't feel like I have other symptoms except some moodiness. I think that the pp period is a prime time for things like thyroid changes.

Beth

carolinamama
10-22-2009, 03:03 PM
IME, hormones go crazy later when you are bfing (I think you are if IRC). I handled the immediate postpartum period fine - even lots of uncertainty in our lives since we thought DH was going to lose his job a few months after DS2 was born. Then AF came back around 8 months pp. My hormones went nuts - I started feeling anxious all the time even though I didn't really have any reason other than the general part of life. I am SO glad that I sought medical help. We ruled out my thyroid and I did go on a tiny dose of meds. PPD/A can pop up anytime in the first year, oftentimes it is later when you are bfing.

You have alot going on right now so it could be that too, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is hormones.

MontrealMum
10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks, ladies!
I haven't officially switched doctors yet, but my OB said I can call her anytime if I have any questions/problems (she's 2 hours away). I asked her to check my thyroid when I went in for my annual a month ago, but she said everything was fine during my pregnancy. Um...can't they change?!?!

I would push for a thyroid test. My thyroid tested fine during pregnancy - they routinely test for that, thyroid problems during pregnancy can affect the baby. By 4 mos. pp it tested seriously out of whack. It's my understanding that if you have a pregnancy-induced underactive thyroid that's how it goes. It happens after the pregnancy is over - duh! Just how my doc explained it to me, but I think it's important for you to be heard if you're feeling this way. Also, I would still consider PPD like pp have said. Depression isn't fun however it comes about. If I hadn't broken down crying in my doc's office I would not have *asked* for help because I thought it was stress from new baby/school/problems with DH - lucky my doc recognized the problem that I did not and there was no asking involved.
:hug:

JTsMom
10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Heck yeah it can change, and it's very very common for it to after a birth! You definitely should get it checked again, especially since it's such a simple test. Here's a checklist of other symptoms.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/hypochecklist.htm

maestramommy
10-22-2009, 03:20 PM

Oh my goodness! You really have a lot on your plate, I didn't realize!:hug: If I had that going on I'd have insomnia on top of it, and really wonder if I had PPD.