PDA

View Full Version : extra extra small breastshield for pump?

GracieCat
10-22-2009, 01:59 PM
7 weeks in and I am still having lots of nipple irritation pumping. I finally got the 21mm shields which are better but not perfect. I have the Lansinoh pump and renting the Lactina which will go back in 2 weeks because I don't like it. FYI, the 21mm Medela shield inserts fit into the 24 mm Lansinoh shields and I haven't had any leaks or separation! You just double cone it! However, my nipple is still stretched by the 21 and I can't find anything smaller. Yes, I need SMALLER and not larger. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? I am not willing to keep doing this much longer with pain! Apparently stores don't think women might have small nipples. Even the medical supply store only had larger shields and I had to order the 21s.

trales
10-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Did you call the customer service numbers for both companies to see if they make them smaller?

I think that might be your only hope, to see if they have them and can send them directly to you.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-22-2009, 09:05 PM
your nipple should be pulled down the tube when you pump. Is that what you mean by "stretched"?

twowhat?
10-22-2009, 10:57 PM
your nipple should be pulled down the tube when you pump. Is that what you mean by "stretched"?

:yeahthat: The tube should be large enough for your nipple to be pulled down into it without rubbing excessively on the sides.

berryberrykix
10-23-2009, 06:52 AM
I found this PDF helpful for sizing. My LC said there's really no downside to having a bigger shield than you technically need (I ended up with the largest b/c I kept having a problem with rubbing on the sides). Good luck -- I think a good fit is really key for being able to keep up with pumping.

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/assets/File/PersonalFit%20Sizing%20Image.pdf

stillplayswithbarbies
10-23-2009, 10:44 AM
that image is before turning on the pump. :) Once the pump is on, the nipple gets pulled at least halfway down that tube.

(don't be scared if you have never pumped before! It doesn't hurt! that's the same thing that happens in the baby's mouth)

GracieCat
10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
http://www.nursingangel.com.au/g/38070/choosing-the-correct-breast-shield.html

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been pumping for almost 2 months and it still hurts. A LOT. I'm about the size of the Playtex nipple which is much smaller than 21mm and the tube. I still get a good quantity of milk, but it's not something I look forward to doing (6-8 times a day!) I've searched the web, but not seeing anything new and was hoping someone here had a good solution.

I guess also to clarify, it's probably more aereola skin rubbing pain more than nipple. I definitely look like the third drawing in the above link. The skin is sucked wide as well as long. It's not very natural looking and definitely changes my original shape each pumping. I don't think I have any infection. Maybe I just have very sensitive skin. Also, the shape is the same regardless of the suction level.

Momof3Labs
10-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Using too high suction will also cause pain when pumping. And be sure that your nipples don't rub against the shield - that hurts, too. Is it possible that you have thrush? That can also cause nipple pain. I'm just not certain that smaller shields (which I don't think even exist) would eliminate pain from pumping.