PDA

View Full Version : OT: How to find a PT who makes housecalls (for me)

sidmand
10-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Does that even exist? Or for liability reasons it can't?

I was recently diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and they would like me to see a physical therapist twice a week. I have no idea how I'm going to manage that! I do have some time on Tuesdays/Thursdays but I just started going to Curves and those are also the days I'm supposed to be working and there's only so much I can fit into a few hours. I really don't want to give up Curves because I'm finally doing something for me--IYKWIM? This would be too of course, but not the same (at least in my mind).

I believe a couple of the local health clubs have PTs and if DD would stay in the child care that would be ideal but she won't.

All of a sudden I had a brainstorm today that if only I could find someone to come to the house (even while DD is napping, maybe?) that would be ideal. I know it would cost more but if I need to find a sitter to watch DD so I can go to the appointments that's going to cost more too.

Does it even exist and how would I go about finding it? I tried a Google search and ended up with some animal PTs that did housecalls(!) but I'm thinking someone who works with humans would be the way to go. :)

BabyMine
10-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Yes it does exist. At least where I live. The problems is that it has to be ordered by your Dr.. That is more for people who aren't mobile. Becasue this isn't the issue I would just call PT's offices and ask them.

brittone2
10-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Tough to find in most areas these days. I'm not up to date on outpatient orthopedics stuff (I worked in early intervention), but there are some potentially complicated billing issues w/ doing home based care in many instances. The PTs only get reimbursed a certain cost by insurance (assuming you are going through insurance), so when they travel and factor their time in for that, it generally isn't worthwhile financially unless a client is paying out of pocket (which would be the case w/ PTs providing therapy for animals for example, which isn't even legal in many states). If a client/patient is truly "home bound" and can't leave the home, the billing would be different. (eta: but for that to take place, the patient has to be truly home bound).

At the health clubs do they have personal trainers or physical therapists? Physical therapists don't usually work in a health club setting but maybe that is regional? I've never known any PTs who work in that setting but maybe that varies in different states.

billysmommy
10-22-2009, 02:27 PM
They do have home PT but it's usually for people who can't get out and about. The PT's are contracted through a VNA (Visiting Nurses). You will also want to check your insurance as they probably won't cover it if you aren't housebound. But honestly I don't think they'll do it in MA as they're pretty strict that once patients can get out and about they need to be discharged from home PT and start outpatient.

billysmommy
10-22-2009, 02:29 PM
At the health clubs do they have personal trainers or physical therapists? Physical therapists don't usually work in a health club setting but maybe that is regional? I've never known any PTs who work in that setting but maybe that varies in different states.

Here in MA there are many health clubs that have licensed Physical therapy clinics in them. Like any places there are good and bad ones. I've worked in a couple that were excellent.
It actually works out very well....once they're done with PT, they can switch over to a couple personal trainer sessions. All the ones I've worked at the personal trainers are exercise physiologists and extremely well trained.

brittone2
10-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Here in MA there are many health clubs that have licensed Physical therapy clinics in them. Like any places there are good and bad ones. I've worked in a couple that were excellent.

Now that you mention it I know of a place in PA like that I had forgotten about. Once you said a clinic within the health club that rang a bell...this place just basically used the gym equipment rather than having all of their own stuff.

sidmand
10-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes, like Lori said, definitely physical therapists. I went to one once before and they had me use some of the equipment in the gym before my session but then did physical therapy with me for a different foot problem.

Yeah, I figured since I wasn't housebound it probably wouldn't work. Worth a try though. It would be so much easier!

brittone2
10-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I figured since I wasn't housebound it probably wouldn't work. Worth a try though. It would be so much easier!

I hear you! I have had sacroiliac joint pain and sciatica with each pregnancy and really could use some physical therapy right now (kinda hard to treat yourself sometimes LOL). I avoid going because I can't deal w/ appts for that plus my midwives, etc. My parents usually babysit for us when I have appts (thank goodness!) but my mom just had a total knee replacement so they are busy with their own PT appts LOL.

I hope you can get some relief. If you have a club w/ a PT there, maybe that would be a great option for you with the childcare. I hope you can get some relief!! :hug: