PDA

View Full Version : Help Please - Induction - Hospital vs Natural

SweetTooth
10-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Hello,
I am looking for info/advice on induction. I am scheduled for one tomorrow for various reasons, none of which are urgent medical ones. I am scheduled for a foley catheter (balloon insert) later today and then admitting early tomorrow for pitocin. I was just informed of massage, acupuncture, and reflexology as another way to more "naturally" induce labor. I was wondering if any of you would share your experience with either the hospital route or the alternative ways. Your thoughts on "forcing" your body via catheter and pitocin? How successful (and quick) for the alternative ways? And did you require multiple treatments?

I would do a search for previous posts, but I'm running out of time!
Thanks so much in advance,

Momof3Labs
10-22-2009, 02:50 PM
What is the reason for your induction? That will help frame responses.

SnuggleBuggles
10-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Honestly, if you are having this much hesitation, why not reschedule? You said there isn;t a medical need. The fact that they are going to do the foley catheter makes me think your cervix isn't very favorable. I'd be highly tempted to just wait until past 41 weeks assuming all is well. Babies don't keep a calendar in there but they know when it's time. :)

I did want to suggest membrane stripping though. With ds2 I just one day, at 41w1 (or 3? wasn't keeping careful count :)), I decided I was done. I had my membranes stripped and was in labor a few hours later. I required no more interventions. It wasn't super comfy but it was over fast. Odds of it working aren't that high out worth a shot.

I wouldn't do the foley or membrane stripping if GBS+ though because I am of the notion that fewer things getting pushed up and in in that case is a good thing.

Ds1 came at 42w and ds2 and 41+w. With ds1 I tried all the natural things (except castor oi- no way!) and had no luck. Ds2 I just relaxed and knew it would happen eventually...well, till that moment of weakness with the memrabe stripping.

I admit that I don't have much faith in the natural means for induction. I think they are fine to try as things like massage aren't dangerous but nothing to pin hopes to. :)

I have heard good things about the induction method you are scheduled for. It is important that you are sure baby is well positioned b/c a side effect of the foley is often water breaking. If baby is badly positioned when your water breaks they could get "stuck" in a less than ideal position without as much of a cushion to move around in. Spend time on all 4s to help make sure baby is hanging out in a good position.

GL!

Beth

maestramommy
10-22-2009, 03:00 PM
I can only speak to natural induction. I did massage, but no chiro or acupuncture. I also tried sex, spicy food, exercise. None of them worked. I actually finally went into labor while wiping the kitchen floor on my hands and knees. That wasn't my intention it just happened. :p I have a feeling it wasn't necessarily related though. Laurel was one day past due and had been dropping steadily for 2 days prior.

JTsMom
10-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Definitely try sex, and keep in mind (sorry, tmi), that semen is what is supposed to do the trick, not just the sex act.

lizzywednesday
10-22-2009, 03:12 PM
My aunt recommended inserting a capsule of evening primrose oil into your vagina to stimulate labor, and I've seen this on herbalist websites as well, but I don't know that I would try it myself.

(Of course, my aunt has 5 children, all home-births and this is what her midwives told her. Apparently, it worked.)

jhrabosk
10-22-2009, 03:14 PM
I had acupuncture at just shy of 41 weeks and went into labor the next day. No way of knowing whether it was the needles or pure coincidence though...

wendibird22
10-22-2009, 03:17 PM
I was induced with pitocin at 9days passed my due date. IME and from what I've heard from others agrees with my experience, that pitocin contractions come fast and hard. That often means that women chose an epidural who wouldn't have otherwise and the fast contractions can cause some issues for baby. That was the case for me. The contractions were too fast and hard and weren't allowing baby's BP to recover after each contraction. They did vacuum extract to get her out before she got too distressed. If that hadn't worked I would have had a c sect. A lot of women are induced with pitocin so it's pretty routine. But, knowing what I know now about possible increase in complications resulting from induction I'm not planning on being induced with #2 unless medically necessary (and I'm due on Xmas Eve so I know it'll be offered to me). I will wait for her to come on her own.

brittone2
10-22-2009, 03:19 PM
My aunt recommended inserting a capsule of evening primrose oil into your vagina to stimulate labor, and I've seen this on herbalist websites as well, but I don't know that I would try it myself.

(Of course, my aunt has 5 children, all home-births and this is what her midwives told her. Apparently, it worked.)

My midwives (CNMs) deliver at a freestanding birth center and have OB backup. They have some sort of vaginal EPO for induction protocol for women post dates. I don't know exactly what their dosing info is but I know I've seen it typed up in their office before (DD was born 2 days past my EDD and so I remember it caught my attention ;) ).

eta: for me personally, I would avoid a non-medically necessary induction. My midwives have no hard and fast date fofr women who are post dates...they have healthy women go to 42+ weeks and beyond with careful monitoring of placental health, baby's condition, etc.

JBaxter
10-22-2009, 03:21 PM
I tried primrose oil. message, food ,sex nothing worked. I was induced because of being post date and a huge baby. ( 5 days over and we knew he was 10+)

My docs dont do the folley. I had cervidil placed the night before then after 12 hrs I had my water broken. I did end up with pit 6 hrs after that.
Jack was born 12 hrs from when my water broke.

Had he not been over 10lbs I would have waited to 42 wks before induction. But 10lb1oz , 22 3/4 in long w/ a 15 1/2 in head was starting to scare me a bit.

lizzywednesday
10-22-2009, 03:32 PM
I tried primrose oil. message, food ,sex nothing worked. I was induced because of being post date and a huge baby. ( 5 days over and we knew he was 10+)

Had he not been over 10lbs I would have waited to 42 wks before induction. But 10lb1oz , 22 3/4 in long w/ a 15 1/2 in head was starting to scare me a bit.

This could easily be my sister ... she's 37wks and her baby is measuring @ 8lbs+ ... she's starting to get worried.

JBaxter
10-22-2009, 03:36 PM
This could easily be my sister ... she's 37wks and her baby is measuring @ 8lbs+ ... she's starting to get worried.

They wanted me to induce at 39 wks I said NO WAY. Jack ( and I ) was not ready40wk5d was the soonest I would consider it

Melanie
10-22-2009, 03:36 PM
My water broke then labor stalled for 1/2 a day so I did castor oil (with orange juice I think. blech.) and acupuncture. I think it was the acupuncture that did it, but my MWs swear by the castor oil. *shrug* I'd try acpuncture first as it's much more pleasant than the castor oil!

If you don't feel you need to be induced, don't let them bully you! Ultrasounds aren't all that accurate when it comes to size. I was told to expect a 'big baby' with my first and he was 7 1/2 lbs born the day after his due date.

niccig
10-22-2009, 03:37 PM
But, knowing what I know now about possible increase in complications resulting from induction I'm not planning on being induced with #2 unless medically necessary (and I'm due on Xmas Eve so I know it'll be offered to me). I will wait for her to come on her own.

DS was born on Christmas Day, and we weren't induced. He was due 10 days earlier. I was getting worried because family were already in town, Christmas etc. My OB told me that she had delivered plenty of babies on holidays, and one more was fine. There was no medical reason to induce, DS was doing fine. I was kind of bummed but after hearing some stories from friends who were induced, I'm glad my Dr. didn't go that route.

If you do go in labour over the holidays, there might be less staff. The anesthetist was leaving and even though someone was on call, everyone in L&D was told that if you wanted an epidural, to get it BEFORE he left. No Lactation consultant etc. But we did fine with help from the nurses and saw our LC at 2 days old. DS was born after a 8 hour labour, and we were home the next day. After the nurses cleaned DS up, they wrapped him in a blanket and then gave him to me inside a big Christmas stocking. That stocking is hung every Christmas for DS.

citymama
10-22-2009, 03:39 PM
I was almost 2 weeks post-term with DD. We tried: sex, exercise (very serious uphill hikes at 41 weeks - not for the faint at heart!), primrose oil, massage, spicy food. Nada. What finally worked was my midwife doing the old "swiping of membranes" over 2 successive days.

SnuggleBuggles
10-22-2009, 03:42 PM

Inducing for size often ups the odds of a c-section because inducing ups the odds already for a c-section. Tell her that fat squishes and position of the baby and position she labors and births in are all more important than that possible number.

Evening primrose oil...I started taking that at 37ish weeks. It doesn't induce labor, it;s just supposed to make the cervix a bit more favorable. Didn't do anything for my cervix, best I can tell.

Beth

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-22-2009, 05:04 PM
My water broke then labor stalled for 1/2 a day so I did castor oil (with orange juice I think. blech.) and acupuncture. I think it was the acupuncture that did it, but my MWs swear by the castor oil. *shrug* I'd try acpuncture first as it's much more pleasant than the castor oil!

If you don't feel you need to be induced, don't let them bully you! Ultrasounds aren't all that accurate when it comes to size. I was told to expect a 'big baby' with my first and he was 7 1/2 lbs born the day after his due date.

I did castor oil and went into labor less than 24 hours after. It really has no taste...I think if I have to do over, I would make a salad dressing out of it. The gross part was the oiliness, IMHO.

That said:
I had pit for 16 hours, it was tough, but I still didn't get an epi. I was induced, as my water was leaking, and I wasn't progressing. I also had my membrane ruptured.

AnnieW625
10-22-2009, 05:22 PM
I was induced with Elisa and unless it's medically necessarily I do not want it at all for #2. I went to the hospital at 37 wks and 4 days with what was probably just Braxton Hicks, but I had measured 4/1/2 cm 4 days before so I thought it was the real thing. Well my labor stalled and after 5 hrs. of barely being at 5/1/2 cm I had my water broken. Three hours after water was broken I was still stalled. I had to get pitocin, in addition to the penecilian I had to have for strep B. Needless to say I barely got an epidural on time (maybe 2/1/2 hrs. after I got the pitocin) because four hours after I got the pitocin I was 10.5 cm. So I did the hardest part without the epi, but still I never want to have pitocin again unless it's medically necessarily and I am gauranteed an epidural as soon as it starts (or I won't get it).

DebbieJ
10-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Pitocin is wicked stuff. I had tried EVERY natural induction method known to man and still had to be induced with pitocin (I was 42+ weeks). Those were some intense contractions.

If you have no medical indication for induction right now, I'd do all the natural things and wait it out.

Kitten007
10-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I had my membranes stripped with DS2 because I was having labor pains, but they weren't strong/consistent enough. Doc said it mostly doesn't work, but he said it does no harm. So I said why not? He told me within a day or two I should go into labor if it works....that was a Thursday I believe. I was still having pains and went for a walk late Saturday night...went to the hospital on Sunday at 10:30am and had DS2 at 1:04pm....all natural, but totally worth it!

catsnkid
10-22-2009, 06:14 PM
I was induced the night of 41 weeks 5 days. Baby had been lying oblique. Cervidal inserted at 7 ish that night, contractions started at 2 a.m. No sleep, walked around with DH, then they gradually went away by the time I was *supposed* to get the pitocin. Didn't get it until noon due to lack of staff. Asked for and got epidural at around dinner time. I was checked at 8 pm, got to 5 c.m. Slept, doctor came at midnight and announced that I had not made any more progress, time for c-section. It turned out that baby was still trying to come out ear first, also he had a fairly large head and I have a narrow pelvis. The OB that delivered him is not recommending a VBAC though if I want to try I can. Personally I think i am okay with another c-section next time.

dragop21
10-22-2009, 06:26 PM
My two cents:
I would also wait if there is no medical need for induction. let me also point out that tomorrow is Friday *cough cough* and if this baby comes on the weekend it could be highly inconvenient to your doc.
I have personally never experienced them, but pit contractions are suppose to be god-awful. as someone else has described, they are faster and harder and they allow less time for the baby to recover, which causes decels, which causes panic, which causes a c-section. a natural contraction will start at the top and descend to the bottom, but a pit contraction gets the whole uterus going at the same time. I have had two natural births but always said if I had to be induced I would likely sign up for an epi with only minor hesitation.

I have another suggestion about natural induction. I took something called Female Caps or Mastergland, at the suggestion of my midwife and it gave me a TON of contractions. I had so many that when real labour set on, at 39 weeks and 5 days, the baby came flying out in five hours. and oh yes IT HURT!!!!
I would also third the suggestions of getting your membranes stripped. its not without risk, but since the doc is pushing, it might be an inbetween sorta line for you to draw.

good luck with your decision! remember he/she works for YOU, not the other way around!

lizzywednesday
10-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Inducing for size often ups the odds of a c-section because inducing ups the odds already for a c-section. Tell her that fat squishes and position of the baby and position she labors and births in are all more important than that possible number....

Thanks for the reassurance! I'll pass the info along to my sister, although our cousins' sons were all big babies too and they commented to her FB that they did fine ... and she would be fine, too.

She's still worried, but I think it helped hearing that it won't be so bad.

Alice523
10-22-2009, 06:57 PM

Is the baby your sister's first? I was induced with both of my sons, the first for pre-e and the second for size. DS1 was 10 lbs 7 oz 22 in. on my EDD, and DS2 was 11 lbs. 22.5 in. at 38 wks 3 days. I would say without hesitation to avoid induction. I had easy deliveries but awful labors because my body was simply not ready to give birth, esp. with my second one.

My docs freaked out over DS2's size and I am still, 14 mos. later, trying to get over it. He came out in ONE push. I never should have allowed them to ruin the last few weeks of my pregnancy on acct. of his size. I was armed with all of the studies and an aunt who's an OB and whose hospital refuses to allow inductions for size of baby, but my docs wouldn't listen to anything. One said she'd have a heart attack if I went another week and the other said, "Well, I *guess* we could let you go to see if you can deliver a 12 lb. baby..." as if I was just doing it for a challenge. I finally gave in - the stress of fighting them was too much for DH and me. I will find a less induction-happy practice next time around.

lizzywednesday
10-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Is the baby your sister's first?

Yes, we're both expecting our first ... she's due 2 weeks from Saturday and I'm due in March. I'm having an easier time coming to terms with a larger baby (DH was a month late & 11lbs. He was also delivered by C-section.) but she was kinda hoping for 7lbs or under!

Alice523
10-22-2009, 07:05 PM
our cousins' sons were all big babies too and they commented to her FB that they did fine

Not only that, the u/s's are so often wrong. My 11 lber would have only been 9 lbs. 9 oz. if the u/s had been correct. And more often than not, they overestimate. (I think it's 80/20 or 70/30 with most overestimating.)

JBaxter
10-22-2009, 07:06 PM
It is possible to have a induction w/ pit (7hrs of it) with out a working epidural. I delivered Jack with an epidural that worked for about 20 minutes ( tops) Yes they are very strong but not impossible to handle. I pushed 3 times.

I have had an 8lber, 8lb12oz, 9lb8oz and a 10lb1oz and honestly I couldnt tell you the difference in the actual delivery. All my labors were long 12+

Gena
10-22-2009, 07:52 PM
I was induced with DS. He was 10 days past due and the testing showed that the placenta had started to degrade and the amniotic fluid levels were dropping. DS obviously had no intention of coming out on his own and had not dropped at all.

I had cervidil overnight (which had no effect) and was started on pitocin the next morning at 6 am. Labor lasted about 16 hours. Like pp said, the contrations were hard and fast and really awful. I maxed out on the pitocin and was still progressing very slowly. I refused an epidural for the first 10 hours, but at that point I was already exhausted and the doctor was concerned that if I did not get some rest I wouldn't have the strength to push. So I ended up having the epidural and it did help a lot. After the epidural I was able to rest and my labor progressed more quickly. DS was born at 10 pm with very light vacuum extraction after 2.5 hours of pushing.

I did run a slight fever towards the end of my labor, which was probably due to either the pitocin or the epidural (I forget which). Originally the OB told us that DS would probably have to go the NICU for 24 hours. The NICU team was in the room when DS was born to evaluate him. His APGAR scores werer 9 and 9, and I had been on IV antibiotics all day (for GBS and MVP), so the team decided that he was fine to room-in with me and be monitored by the regular nursery staff.

It really wasn't the labor I had hoped for. I was wanted a natural labor with no induction and no epidural. But givent the situation we were in, I think the induction and epidural turned out to be the right decisions in our case.

Best wishes for a happy, healthy delivery!

SkyrMommy
10-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Was 12 days late, DD's fluid levels were low and we were worried about her size vs. me.

Tried all sorts of everything naturally... but then had to go in for induction... cervidil overnight - nothing. Pitocin next day - nothing. Walking, rocking,
rolling on a ball. Pitocin contractions hurt and were quite hard. We stopped the drip because I wasn't dilating enough, the midwife broke my water once I dilated more on my own the next day (hurt!). I ended up with a section as DD was positioned wrong and was tearing me inside after several hours of labor.

Cervidil wasn't much, pitocin was rough.

I wish you the best, I hope that you try all natural ways first and that your labor goes smoothly.

Tondi G
10-23-2009, 01:05 AM
I wouldn't opt for induction unless there was a medical reason for it. I wanted #2 out and my OB was pushing for me to come in on my due date and be induced (something about him measuring big at my last U/S... boy were they WRONG he was 7lbs 5 oz). I went to my acupuncturist. The first time was a tuesday... had an OB appointment on thursday... went directly to my acupuncturist again after my OB appt. By the time I left the acupuncturist's office I was spotting. I had stronger contractions but far apart... I knew we were in early labor. Got myself some sleep before things got hectic. Labored at home, hospital at 6am, DS was born a couple hours later!

I know another woman who also had 2 appointments with the acupuncturist and had her baby within a day or so of the second appointment!

I have to say that sex helped too I think... prostaglandins (sp?) in the semen help ripen your cervix.

Hope you can get things going on your own!!!