PDA

View Full Version : DD probably has swine flu - need BTDT

marit
10-22-2009, 03:42 PM
DD started complaining about a sore throat yesterday afternoon. By evening she had mild fever - we put her to bed. By midnight she woke up really hot (didn't take temp) so I gave her motrin and she slept till morning. We went to the ped today, she had 101.something and was coughing too. He thinks it is probably H1N1. I just measured her temp she has 105 !!! I gave her motrin and water and 10 minutes later she puked it all. Measured temp again it dropped slightly to 103.8. Now she seems OK, but I am shaking. I am SO worried because I have an 8 week old at home. I isolated DD in one room and we are wearing masks when we go to her room.

If anyone else had this already, how long did it last? was there a lot of puking involved?

Thanks for reading...

Cheburashka
10-22-2009, 03:48 PM
No BTDT from me, but sending P&PT your way. :hug: to you and your DD.

I'm sure you've got this memorized, but just to have handy:

“When should I go to the hospital?”

If the illness gets worse (see list of symptoms below), seek medical attention from your doctor or a hospital emergency department. When you arrive, go to the receptionist and explain that you have flu-like symptoms. You may be asked to wear a mask or sit in a separate area. If you call an ambulance to take you to the hospital, let the 911 operator know that you have flu-like symptoms and tell the ambulance crew, too.

Signs that an adult needs to go the hospital, include: difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, pain or pressure in the chest or stomach, sudden dizziness, confusion, or severe, persistent vomiting.

Signs that a child needs to go to the hospital, include: fast breathing or trouble breathing, bluish skin color, not drinking enough fluids, not waking up or not interacting, being so irritable that the child does not want to be held, or fever with a rash.

citymama
10-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Sending lots of p&pt your way. Hope your DD makes a quick recovery and that the baby stays unaffected. Lots of nursing will help with the immune system!

KHF
10-22-2009, 03:58 PM
We are just getting over H1N1 at our house. DD (4) had it first, then DS (10 mos.) got it 3-4 days later. Each of them had high fever, coughing and they each threw up one time. That's it. So, hopefully, you'll be spared from further vomiting spells.

MommyAllison
10-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Ours was not confirmed h1n1, but lasted 36 hours, with no vomiting (though she was nauseous). I was just going to suggest switching to Tylenol instead of Motrin - it is more gentle on the stomach. Hope she gets better soon and the baby stays well!

cono0507
10-22-2009, 04:26 PM
My kids (ages 2 and 4) both had it. They had fevers of 102-104 for 5-6 days, lots of coughing and occasional vomiting (brought on by the bad cough). DH had fever of 101 for 2-3 days with cough, no vomiting.

JustMe
10-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Dd was really lucky and got Tamiflu, so can't share our experience as something for you to compare yours to...but I was wondering if you tried to get Tamiflu from a dr for yourself as a preventative measure...if you dont get the flu, its less likely that your infant would...just a thought..

marit
10-22-2009, 08:47 PM
He mumbled something about not giving tamiflu anymore, what is tamiflu?

ThreeofUs
10-22-2009, 09:20 PM
We've had it in our household, but it was pretty mild. I'd be shaking in my shoes, too, though, if I had an 8 week old in the house.

Hugs to you all - and P&PT that no-one else gets it.

kayte
10-22-2009, 09:28 PM
DD was diagnosed today. I was told by our ped that doctors are not prescribing Tamiflu to other household members unless there is high risk need--but you qualify for that for sure! I would call you doctor and tell them DC has the flu and that you take care of an infant. They should prescribe tamiflu for you and your DH.

nofeea
10-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Marit- Tamiflu is an oral flu medication that's given:
A) To people who have the flu to treat it and supposedly shorten the duration
B) to people who are exposed to people who have the flu (ie. familiy members) so that they don't get it

It is in short supply so it seems it is being saved for people with low immunity but with a new baby you should certainly ask about it. I would.
Also, not all pharmacies carry it so you may have to call around even if you can get the prescription for it.

Good Luck!!

goldenpig
10-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Marit,
So sorry your daughter is sick. I hope you and your family stay well. My 2 yo DD just got the flu. They are not testing anymore because H1N1 is so common it's assumed that's what she has. She was totally fine Monday morning, then got sent home from preschool sick. She had fevers of 103-105 and was tired. That night we started her on Tamiflu on doctor's advice (she's considered high risk since she is under 5). The next day DH and I both started prophylactic Tamiflu as well (we are both health care workers and I am pregnant so according to CDC guidelines we need prophylaxis) to keep us from catching it. We have also been wearing face masks around her (try to get the ones called N95 masks, they protect better than the little paper ones). I was totally freaked out because I'm pregnant and really didn't want to catch it given all the horrible stories going around. Not to mention all the healthy children that have died. Fortunately she's getting better and we're OK so far.

You should ask again about getting your DD Tamiflu since there is a newborn at home. You and your DH would also qualify for prophylactic Tamiflu since you are caring for a baby <6 mo so you should look into it. The prevention dose is once a day for 10 days rather than twice a day for 5 days if you are sick. The Tamiflu stops the virus from replicating and has definitely shortened her illness--she had 101-105 fevers Mon & Tues (had to give Motrin or Tylenol to her every 6 hrs) but on Wed she only needed one dose and then has had no fever since then. She also has not been acting sick and hasn't had any other symptoms like fever, cough, or vomiting. So I think she's over it already. And we have not caught it either. I think that her having got the H1N1 Flumist a week before also may have helped, because she had some antibodies already in her system (although not enough to keep from catching it...kids under 10 need 2 doses). Can you & your family get the H1N1 shots yet? My husband and I managed to get some shots Tuesday...it does take a week or more to take effect though. Hope this info helps and that your daughter gets better soon!