PDA

View Full Version : Need Very Quick Help!

Indianamom2
10-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Baby 3+ months, day three of no pooping (usually goes once a day). He is very uncomfortable and cranky (not normal). Nothing else wrong.

We are at a hotel and he CANNOT keep screaming. I can't remember what kind/how much juice I can give to get him going. He hasn't wanted to take a bottle ever anyway, but I've got to try something.

I know I can give pear/prune juice, but how much and do I water it down or give it straight? I just can't remember.

Thanks
Christina

KrisM
10-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Are you breastfeeding? If so, it's normal to not poop for days...up to about 10.

But, if he's in pain, I'm not sure. I likely would try some of the anti-gas medicines before giving a 3 month old juice.

If you're doing formula, then I don't know. It's more likely to be constipation if it's formula, than breastfeeding, but you might need to switch formulas, too.

I hope he feels better soon and that someone else has better advice :).

Indianamom2
10-23-2009, 10:03 AM
He's BF and I know it can be normal, but he is seriously not happy and this isn't his norm.

I just can't let him cry like this.

Thanks
Christina

KrisM
10-23-2009, 10:12 AM
How about putting him on his back and bicycling his legs. It helped with gas for mine, so maybe it would help with this?

Melaine
10-23-2009, 10:13 AM
The doctor said I could give one ounce of prune juice to our girls when they were a few months old. If you feel he is trying to go, pumping his legs gently in a "bicycle" motion may help.

We eventually started putting a little bit of prune juice in one of our bottles (maybe 1/2 ounce per day) and it really helped.

Indianamom2
10-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks, tried bicycling a lot yesterday...will keep trying...just needed some other ideas.

THanks
Christina

molympic
10-23-2009, 10:18 AM
use a rectal thermometer or well lubricated (with vaseline, a&D...) q-tip. Gently put it in & out. If he is having trouble pooping, this will usually stimulate him to go. Make sure to have lots of clean-up stuff handy, sometimes this causes "explosive" pooping lol

Momit
10-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Our DS once went 10 days+ without pooping while I was BFing. The doctor said it was OK because it wasn't bothering him, but I did finally pick up some kind of infant laxative/suppository at the pharmacy (non prescription, but it was kept behind the counter at Target). The day I was going to give it to him he FINALLY pooped.

Jen841
10-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Traveling throws off my system, I know TMI!

Biking or just doing like sommersault tucks helped us. SIL traveled with a rectal thermometer and vasoline which a little poke and some tucks cleared out my niece and nephew in these situations.

Gross I know, but it worked. We resorted to it once and it did the trick.

alleycat
10-23-2009, 10:20 AM
When my DD was 2 months old, she didn't poop for days. Our ped said it's normal for BF babies but I could give her 1 oz juice combined with 2 oz water, if I wanted to. It didn't help her tho. Another thing she said we could do was use a thermometer or q-tip with vaseline to stimulate the anus. That didn't work either. You can also get glycerin suppositories (cut it in half). That only helped a bit. Now I just live with the fact that my baby, now 4 months old, goes every 4 days. She's not as uncomfortable as she was in the beginning.

wendmatt
10-23-2009, 10:23 AM
DD suffered from constipation, she still does. I BF but she would get very uncomfortable. Her ped gave us some suppositories to use on occassion, and they would work very quickly, so maybe the q-tip and vaseline is a good idea to try.

DebbieJ
10-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Glycerin suppositories worked for us with DS1.

ThreeofUs
10-23-2009, 11:57 AM
My ped swears by a teaspoon of light corn syrup, says it works within a couple of hours. (I never did this, always used juice, so can't testify to it working.) But since the operative thing in juice is the sugar, which you want b/c it causes the dry poop to absorb water and move faster, corn syrup sounds reasonable to me.

ITA with bicycling his legs and using a rectal therm with a bunch of slippery stuff (A&D ointment) on it - these will get his bowels working and his rectum loose.

elephantmeg
10-23-2009, 12:44 PM
I'd do rectal thermometer or glycerine suppository at that age not the juice

JBaxter
10-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I'd do rectal thermometer or glycerine suppository at that age not the juice

TOTALLY agree with this. 3 months is WAY to young for juices or corn syrup.

I found a circular motion with the thermometer worked very well.