PDA

View Full Version : Can you have strep but tests come out negative?

happymomma
10-23-2009, 10:26 AM
DS has been sick since Saturday (going on 6 days). He's been having fever ranging from 100-102.5. Coughing started early but now it is really bad. It is to the point that he can't sleep. He's very tired and has no appetite. We've had 2 tests done and both came out negative. Can someone have strep but the tests come out negative? It's been a stressful 6 days. No one is sleeping. I really need for him to get some relief. They checked his blood count and it's not pneumonia. Thanks so much for any advice you may have.

TonFirst
10-23-2009, 10:39 AM
The quick strep test can be negative if there's strep. The culture test is definitive.

KpbS
10-23-2009, 11:41 AM
The quick strep test can be negative if there's strep. The culture test is definitive.

Yes, call your ped and make sure they grew the culture.

HIU8
10-23-2009, 11:43 AM
So far whenever DS gets a strep test, the rapid has been negative. The overnight test has come out positive though (there have been times where they watch it for 48 hours b/c they can't believe it would be negative --when DS's throat has been really bad--and it has been positive at 48 hours.

wendibird22
10-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Sounds like flu to me. Did they test him for that? The fever, lethargy, and cough are seem to be the classic H1N1 symptoms.

As for step tests, yes, the rapid test can be negative and still have a positive culture.

happymomma
10-23-2009, 12:38 PM
They didn't test him for the flu. She seems to think it was a virus but said that if it had been H1N1, they would have needed to test it in the beginning. She seems to think that he is in the tail end of it. I think for now, his fever is gone (or else it's really low grade). But it's the cough (very congested and liquidity) that is making it hard for us. His throat is raw from it.

Now I'm confused about whether or not to still give him the H1N1 vaccine. It's so hard.

Thanks

wendmatt
10-23-2009, 12:56 PM
It's so hard, DD had those symptoms and there was a big push to keep kids away from the docs as they were overwhelmed. She wasn't at deaths door so we just kept her home. Now I'm wondering if it was H1N1 or just a virus and whether to get her the vaccine.

wendibird22
10-23-2009, 03:32 PM
If you were planning to vax, I still would. They are still recommending it even if you think you had H1N1 because you can't know for sure if you did since they are no longer confirming H1N1 diagnosis just confirming flu or not.

From what I've heard the H1N1 cough can linger for quite a while.

DrSally
10-23-2009, 11:57 PM
I went to a walk in place and the rapid came back neg. DS's fever was even higher the next day, so I took him in to our reg ped, and the strep test came back pos right away. Ironically, the other place called back and said the culture was neg and so he definitely did not have strep. I think they didn't get a good sample. BUT, you've had yours done twice and presumably, they've done cultures both times.

Tondi G
10-24-2009, 01:03 PM
is he congested too? If he's got a post nasal drip it will keep him up coughing for sure. Maybe try some benedryl and delsym at bed time?

Hope he feels better soon.