PDA

View Full Version : How do I shrink Jeans successfully?

veronica
10-23-2009, 01:36 PM
I just got a pair that are just a bit too big and a bit too long. They aren't too big (the smaller size would be too small). I can't return them since I got them online and there are no B&M stores for me to return to.

I usually wash all my clothes on cold and hang to dry since I hate shrinkage. If I want to shrink these, do I wash on hot and dry on hot? I am not sure-please help. Oh-they are also dark rinse so I am afraid to wash on hot.

If I wash in cold and dry on hot-will that permanently shrink them?

Kymberley
10-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I just washed a too big pair of jeans on Warm and dried on Hot, and it did not perm. shrink them. I think I'm going to blast the hot water on them and hot dry again. They are dark wash too. Hope someone comes along with a better suggestion.

TwinFoxes
10-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Have my husband wash them. ;)

It seems a very hot dryer is the way to do it. The last pair he shrunk, I washed in cold, and then he put them in the dryer on hot (I use a low setting.) These had a little spandex in them, I don't know if it's different for 100% cotton.

sansdieu
10-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Try just washing in hot water (you might have to wash just the jeans because the dark dye will probably bleed), but don't run to the dryer just yet. If there is any spandex in them, drying on hot might break down its fibers and actually make things worse. I tried to shrink my too-big yoga pants, and after the trip to the hot dryer, now they won't stay up at all. (Spandex is what helped them retain their shape.)

veronica
10-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Yikes-so it might be hopeless?

How come, when I want to actually shrink something, I might not be able to :thumbsdown::(

bubbaray
10-23-2009, 02:35 PM
I would rinse first in cold with vinegar to set the dye. Then I would wash in hot. They will fade, but hopefully not as much. Then dry on hot.

mjmamma
10-23-2009, 02:51 PM
I know the way to unshrink something is to let it soak in warm water so the fibers can loosen. I think DRYING in heat would be more helpful. I dry all my jeans in heat but wearing them seems to loosen them up so I it may help a little but not too much. If you wash & dry colors inside out, it helps to prevent fading.

KathyN115
10-23-2009, 03:08 PM
I would wash on warm and dry on hot. There is no guarantee they will shrink, as I have tried recently to shrink some of my jeans. Some did a little, others not at all. And the length is more likely to shrink up than the width. I would also turn them inside out to wash and dry, it will help keep the color dark.

veronica
10-23-2009, 04:16 PM
thanks for the replies.

I washed in cold today (with other items). I always turn inside out, so that had been done. They are in the dryer now on Hot. hope it works. Otherwise, I supppose I could try again sometime!

If only Banana Repuplic had a store within 3 hours of me, then maybe things could have worked out differently.....

Happy 2B mommy
10-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Let my DH wash them - he'll shrink anything!

veronica
10-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Or, I suppose I could forget the shrinking and just eat McDonalds for dinner :shake:

Mirthful
10-23-2009, 07:03 PM
I would rinse first in cold with vinegar to set the dye. Then I would wash in hot. They will fade, but hopefully not as much. Then dry on hot.

Now, I've always had a question about this. After I do the vinegar wash, do I have to let the item DRY first before I wash it in hot? Or is it okay for the item to still be wet?

I tried this once and didn't dry the item in between. The second wash, uh, didn't go well...

IMO, it is the hot dryer that does the shrinking.

baymom
10-23-2009, 11:13 PM
I don't have any suggestions for shrinking, but did want to add that I *think* Tide makes a detergent specifically for darks...if you are worried about fading, you could try that, instead of your regular detergent. Also, wash them inside out.