PDA

View Full Version : ot: bleeping bad language on prime time tv.....

AnnieW625
10-23-2009, 01:55 PM
What are your thoughts?

I watched the Office last night for the first time in a year and it was pretty funny, however I didn't care for the bad language they had to bleep out because it was most definitely "sh!t" at least twice. Now the first time I noticed NBC doing this in scripted television was on their police drama Southland, in where they used "sh!t" "f--k" "ass---e" on a regular basis, but for some reason I thought it fit in better on that show than it did on the Office.

Now keep in mind it's been just about a year since I have seen the Office (the hour long eps. totally turned me off to the show; just too much), but hearing Pam say "sh!t" was a little disapointing. Well I guess I'll be spending a lot of time on Hulu.com or NBC.com to see what has happened in the last year.

What do you all think?
The Office, 10-22-09,
http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/episodes/?apl=true#vid=1168975
Southland
http://www.nbc.com/southland/video/ (all of the eps. have bad language IIRC, some are very hard to watch, but it's such a good show. Ben McKenzie for hour plus good acting=excellent cop show:applause:)

Laurel
10-23-2009, 02:51 PM
I didn't really mind Pam's outburst- she was furious, and I think the character would only swear when she was really upset.

We thought Jim's was the f-bomb. Thought it was funny the first time, but I'll be kind of annoyed if this becomes a regular thing. I think this was an Office first.

FWIW, I am a complete potty mouth.

AnnieW625
10-23-2009, 02:59 PM
You are right I thought Jim did let off an f bomb. I have a dirty mouth when I am talking with certain friends on the phone and DD isn't around. I have a dirty mouth while driving when DD isn't around too. So I don't mind bad language in the right context so I guess I just wasn't expecting it.

LexyLou
10-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I thought it was a funny. I think the point was that Pam is normally so mild mannered and she was totally flipping out. It's not a regular thing, I don't think.

But honestly, I don't think it would bother me that much if it became semi regular. I mean I don't want to hear the beep every 3rd word but I don't mind an occasional one if it fits the scene.

american_mama
10-23-2009, 09:34 PM
I consider myself quite conservative about swearing, even though I do swear when I'm angry. My parents never swore and there are still words I hardly ever say. I have noticed that talking about "my a**" has become very commonplace on tv, which I consider inappropriate. I remember a time when Rachel said it on "Friends" and I just thought it sounded so ugly. Why not just say "butt," still not an attractive word but not a swear word in my book?

I also think typing WTF is pretty much swearing.

bigpassport
10-23-2009, 10:24 PM
I think made-for-network-tv shows should be swear word free. I don't think a swear word here or there really adds anything, so why not leave them out and let us have some wholesome entertainment?

DietCokeLover
10-23-2009, 10:25 PM
I think made-for-network-tv shows should be swear word free. I don't think a swear word here or there really adds anything, so why not leave them out and let us have some wholesome entertainment?

:yeahthat:

fortato
10-24-2009, 12:08 AM
In context... I think it was appropriate. Hell... I know I would swear a LOT if Michael Scott was sleeping with my mother.

Plus... with the other things that have happened on the show... bleeping out a swear isn't a big deal.

Carrots
10-24-2009, 08:07 AM
I think it is hilarious when they bleep out swear words! It is so unexpected, that I laugh every time.

wellyes
10-24-2009, 08:23 AM
No swearing around kids.
The Office is NOT for kids.
Therefore, no problem.

fortato
10-24-2009, 09:10 AM
No swearing around kids.
The Office is NOT for kids.
Therefore, no problem.

YES!!! This is what I was thinking.

DietCokeLover
10-24-2009, 09:50 AM
I agree that The Office is not for kids, but even as an adult, I don't enjoy hearing that kind of language - bleeped or not.