PDA

View Full Version : Trampoline purchase suggestions????

amyhome1
10-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Considering purchasing outdoor full sized trampoline with safety netting for 4 yo and 6 yo...
I know nothing about them...any suggestions?

#1:
Safety

Any bargains?

brittone2
10-23-2009, 02:50 PM
If you search in the around the house forum, there are lots of threads on trampolines. Several people have mentioned they would have been denied homeowner's insurance w/ one on their property because the risk of injury is quite high, so that's something you may wish to take into consideration.

I have several neighbors with them but I'm not comfortable owning one for my family. I am considering a small individual (1 person) trampoline for my DD for indoor use.

ha98ed14
10-23-2009, 02:53 PM
I would do some research first. If someone else's child is at your home and gets injured on it, you are liable. They are really dangerous. In my mind, it is a comparable risk to having a pool and toddlers.

bubbaray
10-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Personally, I would never own a trampoline. JMHO.

hellokitty
10-23-2009, 03:18 PM
I would NEVER get a big trampoline. Not only is it a major safety hazard for your children (or anyone else's children that get on it), BUT it destroys other ppl's property and you will end up with pissed off neighbors, who might sue you. Two of our neighbors both had one of these. During a storm, one neighbor's blew onto our patio and had it not been for our patio furniture stopping it, it would have hurtled into our sun room and probably broken some windows and caused damage to our siding. Across from us the other neighbors got their neighbor's trampoline into their yard too from the same store and it actually smacked into their metal swing set and damaged it so badly, that they had to disassemble it and throw it away, b/c it was no longer useable (and this was a pretty new looking set). Our neighbors thought it was funny when we told them to remove it (we were not pleased and were still new to the neighborhood, so off to a bad start with our neighbors, even though it was THEIR fault) and the other neighbors ended up mowing the lawns of the neighbor with the metal swing set to make up for the damages.

TwinFoxes
10-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Personally, I would never own a trampoline. JMHO.

:yeahthat:

JBaxter
10-23-2009, 03:36 PM
My FIRST call would be to my homeowners insurance. They are dangerous and our agent warned us when we bought our home not to get one because they not only not cover any claims associated with a trampoline AND they would cancel our coverages

doberbrat
10-23-2009, 04:07 PM
here they're called an attractive nuisance meaning you should know that kids are going to be attracted to them and take preventative measures to make sure they dont go onto your property and get hurt.

so if you're away and some teenager gets drunk and UNINVITED comes over and falls off your trampoline, you're liable.

so I'd definitely put a fence around it just like a pool

its also virtually impossible to get ho ins with them.

mariza
10-23-2009, 04:26 PM
I concur with the others, when I called to try and look for cheaper Homeowners Ins. the guy asked me if we had a trampoline. I said "no, I want one and my DH won't let me get it". His response "smart man, don't do it. It would make my job finding your coverage really difficult."
It's one of those things that look really fun for the kids, butis not worth the hassle.

Cam&Clay
10-23-2009, 05:34 PM
No way, no how would I own a trampoline. I have personally known way too many kids who have been hurt on them. I won't even allow mine to be on them.

AnnieW625
10-23-2009, 06:03 PM
My neighbors had one that they dug a hole into the ground and put it underground. They bought it when their daughters were 6 or 7 I think and were active in gymnastics so they knew how to use it safely. It had a safety border around it, but even if we rolled off of it we would be even with the ground. They first had a rectangular model and then had one that was similar but larger than this one. It's honestly the only way to go!
http://in-groundtrampolines.com/trampolines.html
http://www.rectangletrampoline.com/

I would not have one above ground with really small children. A mommy group mom had one and with a net around it and a then 2 year old fell off of it and had a mild concussion. It scared the crap out of me.

daniele_ut
10-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Trampolines are rampant around here and I can't stand it. My DS thinks they are the coolest thing ever and I would just as soon we never see one again. Even a sunken trampoline can be very dangerous. The concern is when multiple kids get on their together they all end up bouncing higher than they should and the risk of broken bones and more serious injuries goes up.

hollybloom24
10-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Our insurance agent asked us specifically if we had a trampoline, which we don't. Our insurance company will not pay claims associated with them, and I wonder if you pay higher rates because of them too.

american_mama
10-23-2009, 09:15 PM
On another message board I read, an insurance agent said it's not true that home owner's insurance won't cover. She said there are policies with riders and some added expense that will cover trampolines, thus enabling families to choose what they want. Now, obviously others here have had a different experience, but maybe there is some variation.

I want a trampoline. My neighbors are moving and I think want to sell me theirs. Our backyard isn't level, we don't have a rear view or easy access to the backyard (ranch house with bedrooms all along back of house) to monitor activity, so I think it would just be trouble for us. But I dream about one.

AnnieW625
10-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I think American Mama is right you can get riders for lots of things.

Like I said in my prior post I think they can be safe and unsafe at the same time. My neighbors had one because they went to gymnastics. There could not be more than 2 people on it at one time, and I know when were younger than say 7 or 8 one of the parents was out there with us.

mom_hanna
10-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Ok, I will out myself. We have a trampoline. Circular with net enclosure. We got it last spring and LOVE it. We have strict rules: only 2 on it at a time, adult has to be outside with them, must have the net zipped shut before jumping. If any rules are broken, no trampoline that day. So far, it's worked out great and no regrets. We still have homeowners insurance, and our yard is fenced, so if any kids come into our yard without our permission, they are trespassing. No one has, though. There are a lot of trampolines in our neighborhood, so probably every kid has access to one or another. We got ours at Walmart for 179.00 - it is 14 ft across.