PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about the redesign of the Sienna or the Odyssey?

jess_g
10-23-2009, 04:13 PM
We are trying to decide weather to trade in our sedan for a minivan right now. I drove a Sienna for 8 years until last year when we downsized to only one car. If we do trade his in it would be for a Sienna (or maybe a Honda Odyssey). Does anyone know when either one will be redesigned? And what new features they will be adding? I had heard the Sienna would be redesigned this year (and have wi-fi) but I can't find any info on it online now that we are closer to trading in. Any info or links would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jessica.

mominma
10-23-2009, 04:27 PM
From what I have heard on the car forums (Edmunds), the 2011 Sienna is suppose to be out in late January 2010. The new Honda is suppose to be out later in the year. We are waiting to buy a car until I see the 3rd generation minivans!

AnnieW625
10-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Here are some pics of the Odyssey MPV from Japan
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/SPdcpoMOCYI/AAAAAAAA_JY/7IP0TlsxjQM/s400/Honda-Odyssey-JDM27.jpg&imgrefurl=http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/10/honda-reveals-all-new-odyssey-mpv-in.html&usg=__4x3Ts9UECcks4sXvjHhL-ilclyg=&h=319&w=400&sz=16&hl=en&start=15&um=1&tbnid=fGhDNi0HcwtgUM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3D2011%2BHonda%2BOdyssey%26hl%3Den%26sa %3DX%26um%3D1

Compare with the spy shots from Edmunds inline I bet it will be pretty similar style wise, except I think there would be a revolt from moms if they got rid of the dual sliding doors.
http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2009/08/spy-photos-2011-honda-odyssey-caught-night-testing-in-death-valley.html

Also if you can wait until the Honda clearance next year you'll most likely get a really good deal on the current model Odyssey. In 06 when we bought our Pilot we were really looking at getting a CRV instead because it was being phased out for the current model. We could've gotten a killer deal on an 06, but ended up with the Pilot instead (and still got a darn good deal on an 06 that looks virtually the same as the 07 and 08s!) Honda usually releases their cars either right before model year end clearance that runs from July to Labor Day Weekend or in the month(s) following.

This will actually be the 4th generation Odyssey, although the 2000 to current ones are pretty similar in style, but have different styling on the doors and the trunk lift gate/bumper.

bubbaray
10-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Not sure about the Sienna, but the new Ody will be 4G not 3G. Those pics Annie posted look a LOT like the 1G Ody! D/n look like a real minivan though. I love my Ody, but would not buy one without the power sliding doors.

codex57
10-23-2009, 05:55 PM
The new Sienna is supposed to be out in early 2010 as a 2011 model. Usually you want to wait a bit before getting a brand new model while the kinks are worked out. When Toyota switched to their new 6 speed transmission, it took over a year to get all the bugs worked out from it.

What did you hear about it having wifi? From a technical standpoint, I can't see how that would work. There is mobile wifi, but you don't need a particular vehicle for it. You get a laptop with a wireless card from a cell carrier and hook a router to the laptop. Mobile wifi. If a Sienna had it, it'd need to get internet from somewhere and still need some computer type interface to allow you to log in.

luvmypeanut
10-24-2009, 07:00 AM
I don't know much about minivans, but I'm living in Japan and the new Odysseys all look like station wagons. They don't have that rectangular brick look about them anymore. I'm not sure if it's an option but all the ones I've seen have 4 doors and not the sliding ones I've come to associate with minivans. When I lived here years ago before having kids, my friends had one and it looked like the typical minivan but with 4 doors so maybe the sliding doors aren't popular here? I don't pay much attention to the minivans but when I see another Ody I'll take a look at the interior to see how it compares with my mom's '06 Ody. These people drive and watch TV so it maybe it's not much of a stretch to have wifi capability?