PDA

View Full Version : Gift idea for new nursing student?

AmyZ
10-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Our beloved sitter is moving on to grad school in nursing. I'd like to get her something special.

Do nursing students use their own stethoscopes?

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

misshollygolightly
10-23-2009, 08:26 PM
How about some cute scrubs? I bought a set for my friend when she started nursing school--she seemed to like them!

melrose7
10-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Our beloved sitter is moving on to grad school in nursing. I'd like to get her something special.

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Yes, nursing students do need their own stethoscope. Usually it is a certain brand, I think it's called Littmann. They are expensive but very good. She may have one already, maybe a cheaper kind, if she was in nursing school and going to grad school now. At least this is what we all had 10 years ago when I was in nursing school. one other thing I needed/liked was a nice but not too nice watch that has military time on it. HTH

hollybloom24
10-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Nurses use their own stethoscopes for sure! Littman is a good brand - that's what my husband uses. They make adult and pediatric versions. That is a very nice gift!

There is also all sorts of nursing jewelry - not sure if she is into that kind of thing.

Scrubs are a cute idea but many hospitals and practices make you change from your street clothes into scrubs when you get to work, and make you wear their scrubs.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-23-2009, 08:37 PM

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Sometimes they do. You can get an engraved one!

carolinamama
10-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Yes, she will need her own stethoscope. Littman is what I would recommend. Not sure what your budget is, but the Classic II is probably a decent one that will last her for a long time if she doesn't already have one. Certainly an awesome gift. http://search.allheart.com/?catalog=allheart&.autodone=nsearch.html&query=littman&x=0&y=0&gclid=CIWr0I261J0CFcgn2godND86SQ

Some people are into the nursing jewelry, but I'm not so that wouldn't be a great gift unless she is into that type of thing. As for scrubs, most nursing schools have some sort of uniform or certain color for students so she may not be able to wear them for awhile. If it is grad school though, she may not even be wearing scrubs depending on her program. Gift certificate for coffee place? Gift certificate for local scrub/uniform store?

ThreeofUs
10-23-2009, 08:51 PM
I love the steth idea. Depending on what kind of nursing she's going to do, a tote (nice, with good pockets) and a water bottle might be appreciated.

You could also call her nursing school and ask there. They might have requirements that she'll need in grad school that you could buy; or they'll have good ideas for practical, nice gifts.

icunurse
10-23-2009, 08:59 PM
While a stethoscope is a nice gift, there are a lot out there and people can be a bit picky about what style they want (cardiology vs pediatrics vs standard adult; colors; length). Littman is pretty much the brand and you can find good deals online. If she doesn't already ahve one and you decide to buy one for her, please try and get her a name label for it, too...lots of docs ask to "borrow" your stethoscope and never return it!

Nurses Station is an online store that is dedicated to all nursing gifts, so you might get some good ideas there. Prices are fair, too.

If she is just starting out for nursing, other ideas might be a good drug book, a medical dictionary, or a subscription to a nursing magazine (AJN, Nursing).

VClute
10-23-2009, 09:29 PM
YES, a stethoscope is a lovely idea, but it can be pricey. My favorite one (a splurge to congratulate myself on a year as a nurse) was $150 and walked off one day, and I'm almost certain it was on the neck of a doctor! (The docs at my hospital never have their own stethoscopes.)

A good drug guide would also be great. And I LOVE the idea of a nice watch with military time on it. If you're not used to it, military time can be tricky!

ellies mom
10-23-2009, 09:45 PM
If she has a PDA or iPhone/iTouch, a subscription to some of the software would be nice. I love the Davis Drug Guide and Tabers Medical Cyclopedia on my iTouch. Mosby's Lab and Diagnostics test is nice too. I'm looking to get the Merck Manual next. Personally, I like having both the software and the print versions. So if she has one, maybe you could get the other. My clinical instructor is a Nurse Practitioner student and she swears by the Merck Manual.

A gift certificate to a place like All Nurses or the Nursing Station would be nice too. Another thing to think about would be gift certificate for coffee shops, places with free wi-fi or maybe a spa treatment.

tnrnchick74
10-23-2009, 09:57 PM
If she has a PDA or iPhone/iTouch, a subscription to some of the software would be nice. I love the Davis Drug Guide and Tabers Medical Cyclopedia on my iTouch. Mosby's Lab and Diagnostics test is nice too. I'm looking to get the Merck Manual next. Personally, I like having both the software and the print versions. So if she has one, maybe you could get the other. My clinical instructor is a Nurse Practitioner student and she swears by the Merck Manual.

A gift certificate to a place like All Nurses or the Nursing Station would be nice too. Another thing to think about would be gift certificate for coffee shops, places with free wi-fi or maybe a spa treatment.

that's what I was going to suggest...

elephantmeg
10-23-2009, 11:58 PM
a litmann stethescope or a pair of dansko clogs. Smaller items include a pair of bandage scisors, a penlite and coffee to get yourself going in those early am's! My college required a certain color/type of scrubs so YMMV there-most here are white pants and something though.

AmyZ
10-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Thank you so much!! Tons of great ideas. :bighand: