PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Faucet mold?

mamica
10-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I am completely grossed out by this, and I'm hoping someone can help! We've been having reduced water pressure in our kitchen sink faucet for a few weeks or more. In the last few days the water stream has changed to more of a spray (like from a showerhead), and we've noticed a few little stringy strands of black stuff hanging out when the water runs. It makes me think that the faucet itself (the little strainer cap on the end) is actually getting clogged with mold...which is so nasty.

Has anyone ever experienced this? The faucet was installed about 7 or 8 years ago, and we've never had a leak for mold/mildew to build up. It scares me that there could be mold growing all the way back into the faucet, and into the plumbing for all we know.

I'm not even sure that it is mold. Do we call a plumber for this? We want to try to clean it ourselves, but we can't take the cap off the end of the faucet - it doesn't appear to be removable. Should I douse it with bleach or tilex and pump out a bunch of water to make sure it's rinsed well?

Help...I'm seriously getting a little nauseous over this, but I don't know if it's psychosomatic or from bacteria in my drinking water! Thanks so much.

Cheburashka
10-24-2009, 09:33 AM
That is disgusting. I would try to call a plumber and see if you can get someone to look at it today, if you can't figure out how to take the cap off. Also, you'll have someone there in case it is mold who can take care of it.

ha98ed14
10-24-2009, 11:20 AM
This is an easy fix if you have even if you don't have a pipe wrench. I've done it and I am no handiman. Get under your sink and shut the water off. Turn on the faucet to let whatever water is in there drain out. Then, back under your sink, look for the bolts that are holding the faucet on. There are two of them. Unscrew them. Then, back on top of the sink, take a putty knife and break the seal between the faucet base and the sink itself. Remove old faucet. Then clean the sink really well. Count and measure the distance between the holes in the sink. Go to Home Depot and buy a faucet with the specs to fit your sink.

I seriously, seriously doubt that you have mold in your pipes. But faucets get masty. After 8 years, I think it makes sense to get a new one if only for your peace of mind.

Also, a name brand faucet (like Kohler) will come with good instructions. You can also look it up on you tube or a DIY website will have directions. Good luck!

mamica
10-24-2009, 09:56 PM
It is a Kohler, but we are so not handy and I find plumbing to be especially intimidating, so the plumber has been called. However, DH was actually able to get the cap off the end of the faucet, and thankfully it is not a mold issue. I'm hoping it's just low water pressure not due to anything major. So relieved to know that my family and I haven't been drinking contaminated water!

kristenk
10-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Did you figure out what the black stringy things are??? Glad the plumber's on his/her way!

Happy 2B mommy
10-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Hey there! I used to work for Kohler Co about 10 years ago. I worked in the customer call center that helped homeowners with their faucet problems. The "cap" you are talking about is called the faucet aerator. Sometimes there is a washer or gasket (which is black) between the aerator and faucet that can break down. Very often aerators can get clogged with minerals/lime etc. It is extremely unlikely that there is mold in your faucet or water pipes.

If you go onto the kohler website and can ID your faucet, I might be able to help you and save you the cost of a plumber if it's an easy fix.