PDA

View Full Version : Pick up the phone MIL!

belovedgandp
10-23-2009, 10:29 PM
My DH has a fairly distant relationship with most of his immediate family. He's the oldest and has a somewhat decent relationship with his closest brother; we visit a couple additional times per year, talk/e-mail fairly regularly. His other siblings, one grandmother, and parents we see three or four times a year. I send everyone birthday cards and make DH call his grandmother every once in a while, but otherwise it's Thanksgiving, Christmas and an annual family reunion. They all live within 20 minutes of each other; we live 3 hours away.

They are just not close. We physically live far apart and just live a life completely different than they do.

I am pregnant and just found out we're having a girl. This will be their first granddaughter. We had not told anyone in his family that we were pregnant. The only time we saw family was at a funeral this summer and it wasn't an appropriate time. I actually hadn't told a lot of people I see all the time that I was pregnant - closer friends, my family - but not the world.

Mid-point ultrasound was Tuesday. I post on facebook in the afternoon. Half of the responses on there indicate they didn't know I was pregnant. DH calls grandma and mother on way home from work Tuesday night. MIL still has not called us back. DH hasn't left any details in the messages, just call me. We've now heard from two other siblings that she's pissed off about not being told earlier. Well that's fine and all but why not call us or answer the phone one of the dozen times your son has tried to call since then.

She wonders why we're not close? She ignores the two boys we already have so I feel no compelling need to involve her now. Ugh, not in the mood for drama.

JBaxter
10-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Well Congrats on the baby girl!

Cheburashka
10-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Some people just create drama out of anything they can. Congratulations on the baby girl!

choopi
11-01-2009, 11:03 PM
The message has been deleted.