PDA

View Full Version : It would be really bad to call my pastor at this hour right?

DeeEast
10-24-2009, 02:37 AM
Without going into detail, I really feel at such a loss of faith. But I think that if I called my pastor at this hour, no matter how bad I feel at this early/late hour, I would feel like an ass.

niccig
10-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Do you think you can wait until the morning??? I think it's a good idea to call him, but maybe around 8am your time...

DeeEast
10-24-2009, 02:40 AM
I agree. I would actually be an ass to call him at this time. But tomorrow I will probably talk myself out of it.

kijip
10-24-2009, 02:41 AM
Since you are having a hard time, and with needing prayer and support about your child's health, I would not imagine your pastor would be upset if you called. If he/she is not available, they will have a message system set up. I have a number of friends who are ministers or priests (a surprising number of my high school friends have gone into the ministry) and they sort of expect to be available for health crisis situations. I am sure your pastor will want to support you in this time of need.
:hug::hug:

niccig
10-24-2009, 02:42 AM
I agree. I would actually be an ass to call him at this time. But tomorrow I will probably talk myself out of it.

No don't do that. Call him. You feel like your need to talk to him, so there's a reason you need to make the call.

ha98ed14
10-24-2009, 02:44 AM
Send him an email and ask him to call you at his convenience! He would want to know if someone in his congregation was suffering. I think sometimes people don't call their clergy because they don't "bother" them. But that is what they are there for. To lean on in a moment of crisis, spiritual or otherwise. I know from talking to one as a non-parishioner. FIL is a priest. Seriously, email him.

DeeEast
10-24-2009, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the support. I just hate to call him and wake him. I know that he lives with his extended family next to the church. And I really don't feel like myself. If that makes any sense. Oh I guess the bottom line is that I just feel out of myself. And I know that doesn't make any sense.

niccig
10-24-2009, 02:51 AM
I do agree with calling him, he would want to speak to you. You need to reach out to people that can give you support - spiritual, physical, mental, emotional.

spunkybaby
10-24-2009, 02:52 AM
Please, just call him. I have been following your posts and want to send you great big (((hugs))) for all that you've been going through. My pastor told me that I could call him at any hour of the night if I needed to. If your pastor doesn't want to be disturbed, he will have the ringer turned off. Praying for you and your family and hoping that you receive the support and encouragement that you need at this difficult time.

DeeEast
10-24-2009, 02:53 AM
I just sent him an email and even feel embarrassed about that.

niccig
10-24-2009, 02:57 AM
I just sent him an email and even feel embarrassed about that.

Don't feel embarrassed. His calling is to help people. We all need people to lean on, we can't always be the "strong one". Talking to him is a very very good idea. As is being honest with yourself...you feel this need to talk to him, listen to that.

katydid1971
10-24-2009, 03:15 AM
If you feel uncomfortable calling him right now try a crisis hotline. My FIL mans one every week and most of the calls are in a nature like yours. All the people have a lot of training and most come from a religious background. It might help you get through tonight and then call your pastor in the morning.

Thatchermom
10-24-2009, 03:29 AM
Sitting next to my pastor husband, so I asked him. He says he wouldn't be upset by a call at this hour if it was what you really needed - really. Neither would I, if you were worried about his family! He also would be glad to get the email, knowing that if he didn't hear from you tomorrow he would certainly then call (therefore not letting you chicken out!) We kind of all sign on to this job knowing there will be days and nights of out of the blue phone calls. Life is just like that in ministry. We don't get into it for a calm, scheduled, normal life. Wish we knew you - you could call DH - he's up!

Thatchermom
10-24-2009, 03:31 AM
He also said to mention calling the church line at this hour. Ours gives instructions what to do after hours to reach someone. We always have a pastor on call who is expecting the late night needs. Just a thought.

DeeEast
10-24-2009, 03:46 AM
Sitting next to my pastor husband, so I asked him. He says he wouldn't be upset by a call at this hour if it was what you really needed - really. Neither would I, if you were worried about his family! He also would be glad to get the email, knowing that if he didn't hear from you tomorrow he would certainly then call (therefore not letting you chicken out!) We kind of all sign on to this job knowing there will be days and nights of out of the blue phone calls. Life is just like that in ministry. We don't get into it for a calm, scheduled, normal life. Wish we knew you - you could call DH - he's up!

I called. He was very sweet and didn't make me feel bad at all. I think I am glad that I called.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Good. I hope you are able to sleep tonight! Glad to hear you feel a bit better.:hug5:

Thatchermom
10-24-2009, 03:49 AM
I'm glad it went well! Otherwise, we might have had to find out where your church was and call...jk. I hope he was able to share some peace with you and that you are able to get some sleep tonight. Praying for you-

DeeEast
10-24-2009, 03:52 AM
Its still almost 4 here. About the time that I've gone to bed for a while.

dcmom2b3
10-24-2009, 05:22 AM
If your pastor is anything like mine, he'd be upset if you didn't call him. At whatever hour.

WitMom
10-24-2009, 06:40 AM
I'm glad to hear you called. I hope you can get some peace and rest.

blisstwins
10-24-2009, 07:42 AM
When my father was sick and I had to make hard decisions and I was alone I called in the middle of the night and asked for the parish to send a priest to the hospital. They did and no one thought it was at all unreasonable. They knew I needed cousel and honestly, I think they were glad I turned to God when I needed to. I am glad you called and you need to reach out for help and support whenever you need it. You should know there is a whole community already praying for your son's good health.

wellyes
10-24-2009, 08:26 AM
What are pastors for, if not late night phone calls when you're in need?

Everything else he does is useful and good, but his real job is being there when you need him most.

DebbieJ
10-24-2009, 09:29 AM
When I had an emergency C-section and our son was whisked off to the NICU, I called my pastor at 4:30 a.m. I called his cell phone and left a message and he called me back less than an hour later. He was glad I called.

Call your pastor! He won't be mad!

carolinamama
10-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Glad you reached out for support. It is so important to let people know when you need it so you don't get too overwhelmed. Take care of yourself so you can care for your DS.

niccig
10-24-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm glad you called. It sounds like it helped.

MommyAllison
10-24-2009, 07:44 PM
He also said to mention calling the church line at this hour. Ours gives instructions what to do after hours to reach someone. We always have a pastor on call who is expecting the late night needs. Just a thought.

I'm glad you called! I was going to say the same thing - DH took the emergency phone home on a regular basis. Totally fine to call at any hour.

BabyMine
10-24-2009, 08:55 PM
I am so relieved you called. I wish I was with you and could just give you a hug. :hug: