PDA

View Full Version : Sharing/Syncing 2 calendars/appts. between 2 iPhones?

BillK
10-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Is there a semi-simple way to share appointments from a calendar between 2 iPhones?

My wife and I would like to be able to sync our iPhone calendars between them so we can share our various appointments. Right now we both use the standard iPhone calendars.

Neither of us really use a PC for our appointments it's all on our iPhones - but I suppose we could start if that would make it easier.

Ideally - someone will release an app similar to Bump that would allow us to exchange our calendar appointments. I've looked around and there doesn't seem to be anything like that right now.

Any suggestions? MobileMe seems to be an option but I'm not really wild about $99/year.

gordo
10-24-2009, 10:07 AM
We use google to do that. I have my personal calendar, my husband's calendar and a family calendar. It all syncs wirelessly. You can add events either directly on the iphone or on your PC for the google calendar. works very well. My only complaint is that you loose the option to have two different notifications for your events.

http://www.ideaexcursion.com/2009/06/17/howto-sync-google-calendar-on-iphone-os-3-0/

BillK
10-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks Nancy. So in order to do this I'd need to convince my wife to switch to a google calendar from the standard iPhone one? She likes the standard calendar so it'll be a fight. :)

egoldber
10-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Hmm. Dh and I keep 3 calendars in Outlook, his, hers and family. We manage to sync it all to both our phones but honestly I'm not sure how it works LOL!!!

elizabethkott
10-24-2009, 11:04 AM
I haven't been able to figure out how to do this either. DH and each have a mac - my macbook which is downstairs and his iMac which is up in his office/attic. We both also have iPhones (I know, we're macnerds). I don't want to plug his phone into my macbook, b/c then he won't be able to sync up with his computer - or at least all the info already stored will be lost.
I'd love it if someone would make an app for this!!!

niccig
10-24-2009, 12:01 PM
DH has an iPhone and I have an iPod Touch. We both sync to the Mac desktop computer. iCal lets us have different calendars - one for DS, one for work, one for home etc. As we put appointments in, we specify which calendar. We haven't had a problem with syncing at all. I think the Mac recongizes the different devices,as I have different applications/music on my iPod and I never get what DH has on his iPhone. I know when we sync, we have options under the "info" tab for which calendar we sync too, we both have all calendars selected. This is the main reason I got an iPod Touch. I like that we both have all our appointments. We do have to remember to sync every day or so. Mostly, I'm the one updating my iPod Touch calendar as I'm the calendar keeper.

We're about to get a Macbook and this is when we could run into problem - syncing 2 devices to 2 computers. I think we're just going to make the desktop computer the main calendar/contacts and always sync to that. I think I'll ask at the Mac store what to do about it.

ETA. Here's a link about how to have 2 iPhones to one computer.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5216813_use-two-iphones-one-computer.html
I think for the calendar, you could have a separate calendar for DH, DW, kids - then you can select which ones you always want to sync. We always sync all of the calendars. I have the separate calendars colour coded, so I can see if hte appt. is for DS, DH or me - actually DS appts are all me too.
HTH

ETA. Here's some info on how to sync an iPhone to 2 different compters -but it says it's only for the contact/calendars - not the music or applications.

ellies mom
10-24-2009, 12:08 PM
We sync through Google too and I love it. I use the calender icon that "came with" the iTouch, so I assume it is the Apple calender. It doesn't look like the google one on my lap top. If you go into google calender, it has specific instructions for syncing with the iPhone/iTouch.

Java
10-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Google calendar.

I love it because I don't have to sync anything. It automatically syncs for me.I never remember to plug my phone into my computer so it was always a hassle to get the most current calendar with outlook. With google, it does it on its own whenever you retrieve data wirelessly.

I can also send invitations and reminders to my husband's work email (he does not have a gmail account). I color code the entire family (5 members) so it's easy to see who's doing what.

pastrygirl
10-24-2009, 12:16 PM
I use Google, too, but never update the Google calendar itself. I update/add/delete on my iPod Touch (and also my Mac, but that's not necessary).