PDA

View Full Version : s/o: Stethoscope for me

desertmama
10-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Reading the nursing thread reminded me that ds's allergist and pulmonologist have both separately recommended that I get a steth for home to monitor ds's wheezing/breathing. I saw the brand recommended in that thread and wondered if I should splurge on it just for my home use or if there's a reasonably good less expensive brand I should check into. It will be solely for monitoring ds (17 mos) so I assume I should get the peds one?

Thanks so much!

carolinamama
10-24-2009, 10:25 AM
I would say, but of course it is up to you, that for simply listening to lung sounds to determine if there is wheezing or not, you will be fine with one that isn't so expensive. I work in an ICU where we listen to heart and lung sounds all the time. We don't even use our own stethoscopes anymore to help control the spread of all the nasty resistant bugs. The pulmonologists usually use the "Fisher Price" ones that we keep in all rooms now too. (Not really FP, but they are semi-disposible and not super high quality, thus their nickname).

lizzywednesday
10-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Get a good-quality one and it's money well-spent. Seriously.

With a stethoscope, the initial layout may be high, but it will pay off in a few years if you're using it regularly.

That said, I don't know if I'd spring for a ped's only one, though. Talk to your DS's docs about what you should do in this case, but don't cheap out.

(I know a little bit about stethoscopes because my mom had to buy one for nursing school. I know she spent quite a bit on it, but it was worth it because it's lasted her almost 20 years now.)

hellokitty
10-24-2009, 10:57 AM
I would just get a regular one. A ped one IMO is more for heart sounds. Litman is a good brand, but really just for lung sounds the $10-$15 one at a nursing supply store will suit your needs just fine.

shilo
10-24-2009, 11:30 AM
I would just get a regular one. A ped one IMO is more for heart sounds. Litman is a good brand, but really just for lung sounds the $10-$15 one at a nursing supply store will suit your needs just fine.

yeah that. i do have a trained ear, so maybe i'm biased... but a plain old cheap sprague from a nursing/uniform supply type shop would be fine for occasional home use. not that i don't like my litman (purchased while in grad school for a health profession), but honestly, unless you're going to be sticking it in your ears regularly, i just don't think you'd feel like you got your monies worth, you know?

as far as getting the pedi size - i don't think it's necessary for breath sounds at all really. i've never had trouble listening to DS's with a standard one.

ellies mom
10-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I got the girls a $15 one from my college bookstore and it works great for what you want. I spent $40 or so dollars on my school one and that works great too. I listen to my kids all the time with no problem. Check out the bookstore of your local nursing school and scrub shops sell them too.

desertmama
10-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks, all. I'll check out the scrubs shops, etc and see what I find there. Come to think of it, I have several nursing students in the class I'm teaching now. I'll have to ask them where to go.

Thanks!