PDA

View Full Version : How will a consign. store know if my clothes are purchased within the past 3 yrs.

ett
10-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Long story short - I spent the past week and and a half tagging clothes for a consignment sale. But I wasn't able to drop off the clothes because I got sick. So now I need to decide what to do with all this stuff.

So I can either save it until next fall or I can try to sell it to a consignment store. The only think with the consignment store is that they want current styles purchased within the past 3 years and most of my stuff are hand me downs from DS1. So my question is, how do they determine that something is current style? These are all boys clothing which honestly does not look much different than the stuff being sold now and they are all in very good condition. I would have to take all the tags off my clothing to take it to the consignment store so I would hate for them not to take a lot of the stuff.

Thanks.

JTsMom
10-24-2009, 10:33 AM
With a lot of brands, they can just look at the tag b/c they change from year to year or season to season.

clb
10-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Gap kids clothes have a tag with the season and year. I seem to remember seeing another brand with this type of label, but I can't think of which brand it was.

ha98ed14
10-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Gap kids clothes have a tag with the season and year. I seem to remember seeing another brand with this type of label, but I can't think of which brand it was.

Gymbo has copyright years on their tags, so it's a give away. If you have clothes that do not have years on them, I can't think how they would know unless they were crazy about a given store's line, like some of those Gymbo weirdos who research what items were in a given line during what year. (:innocent:) My only normalizing factor is that I buy everything at Goodwill, so for me it is kind of like a scavenger hunt.

ETA: I would just check the tags for dates and then try it. If it doesn't work out, you can always save them til next year. You've got nothing to lose.

JustMe
10-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Hmmn, interesting. I dont know the answer to your question, but I might just try bringing the clothes to the store without changing your sale tags first...just ask them if they are interested in those clothes and if they are I would then change the tags and bring them back.

dcmom2b3
10-24-2009, 01:12 PM
You'd be surprised -- I remember a resale shop in California with a similar policy and their buyers had eagle eyes for details and styles that dated a garment. Stuff that I wouldn't ever have noticed.

With kids clothes, esp. boys', it might be different -- worth a shot at least?

wellyes
10-24-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm in a decluttering phase, so I'd offer them everything and Salvation Army what they reject. Would not be worth it to me to save stuff for a year for items that are as inexpensive, re-salewise, as kids clothes.

alien_host
10-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Were you going to consign at the Parent Talk sale? If so they have another sale in May. If you have everything tagged, I'd save what can be sold in May - typically Spring/Summer clothes but things like pants, tops etc are at all sales (just not winter coats in May and Bathing suits in October).

PM me if you were doing a different sale and I can give you info about this one.

Or sell bundled lots of clothing on Craigslist....I personally haven't done the consignment shop thing b/c they seem very fussy and you don't get that much for it, but I could be wrong.

catsnkid
10-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Carter's stuff has changed the labeling over the years, so that is a giveaway.

Thatchermom
10-24-2009, 08:10 PM
My local store disregards their similar rule for boy's classics/basics. Things like jeans, polos, button downs and sweaters are pretty timeless. It's worth a shot!

ett
10-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone.

alien_host - Yes, it was the Parent Talk sale. Now that I look through my stuff, there is a lot there that I can consign at the May sale and my mom says she has space in her house to store the stuff hung up so I think I'll just do that.

But I'll also check with the consignment store about the 3 year rule with boys clothes, especially the classics/basics stuff.

Melaine
10-26-2009, 09:54 PM
I really recommend at least trying to Craigslist the clothing. The money is SO much better than what you may be offered at consignment stores, IME. Sell a big lot for convenience sake.