PDA

View Full Version : favorite brand of oatmeal?

slworld
10-24-2009, 02:43 PM
We tried the Earth's Best baby oatmeal a few months ago and did not like it (may be too mushy?). Is there any store bought brand of oatmeal that you/DC like?

Thanks much

ETA - Just wanted to add that I am also looking for instant oatmeal options (just add to bowl, add milk & microwave)

nrp
10-24-2009, 02:46 PM
I like the steel cut oats, so I do a big batch in the crockpot and then eat it throughout the week. DS (16 months) loves it. I use either Bob's Red Mill or the irish one that comes in the tin (Mccain's?).

JBaxter
10-24-2009, 03:11 PM
I have thick cut oats bought in bulk from my organic co op. For the boys I do put them in the food processor for a few second before cooking them. I also toss in a hand full of raisins ( also run in the food processor ) and a finely chopped apple & a dash of cinnamon and a little agave. Makes yummy breakfast

SnuggleBuggles
10-24-2009, 09:01 PM
For prepackaged, just add water stuff I really like Trader Joe's Maple and Brown Sugar one. It has a nice consistency. I usually add the boiling water then cover the bowl for a few minutes so it really gets cooked well (dh just microwaves it). I add a bit of milk and/ or frozen blueberries at the end to cool it off for ds2.

Beth

sariana
10-24-2009, 09:31 PM
We just get the store brand (Albertsons) version of Quaker oats. Even though they're not called instant, they cook in the microwave in about 5 minutes. You change the consistency adding more or less fluid (water or milk works). We add fruit (mashed banana, dried blueberries or Craisins, applesauce) or, rarely, real maple syrup. We haven't tried it yet, but I bet Brother's All-Natural Fruit Crisps broken into little pieces would be good, too.

DS (5) and DD (1 1/2) both seem to like it. I have to admit, they prefer the flavored packets, but DH insisted it was terrible for them (because a story on the news said so :rolleyes:) and told me to stop buying that kind. I am all about what's quick and easy at 6:30 in the morning.

newg
10-24-2009, 11:25 PM
We do the quick Quaker oats......I add a pinch of brown sugar and I cut up some raisins real tiny sometimes too....
DD didn't like the Earth's best oatmeal either.....in fact I still have the box from over a year ago!!