PDA

View Full Version : Should I take him?

jse107
10-24-2009, 04:45 PM
DS started with a fever last night: 100.7 at bedtime, 103.5 at 4:30am, none at wake-up (he had Ibprofen at 4:30), 101.8 fever again after nap at 4pm. He is coughing and complaining of a sore throat.

Just had H1N1 vaccine on Tuesday, but it isn't fully effective for two weeks. Peds. office is closed.

So, should I take him to Urgent Care for a swab for flu? He is high-risk due to illness-induced asthma, so if he could get Tamiflu, that would be a good thing (I think). Or, just hang tight and hope for the best?

trales
10-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Even if the office is closed, someone will call you back. It might be worth a phone call, I don't think I would take a kid without a call to my ped's office who knows my kids history, unless of course it were a life threatening emergency.

scoop22
10-24-2009, 06:40 PM
i don't have any definite advice. can you call and ask their opinion? ds had a fever last night. threw up. woke up with no fever and now we are fighting it off and on. the dr. told me to wait until monday since he had no other symptoms. you are in a different situation. sometimes it is better to take them for your own sake. i never know what to do. best of luck. i am not alot of help but wanted to send you hugs! :hug:

goldenpig
10-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Sorry your son is sick. I would call first either to your pedi's after hours line or Urgent care. They may just be able to give you a rx for Tamiflu over the phone (he would qualify since he has asthma). There's not much else out there right now that is giving kids fevers like that (plus cough/sore throat) aside from H1N1. They are not swabbing anymore unless you're hospitalized, since it's so common. They probably don't want you to bring him in and expose other patients, assuming he's only got the fever, and no respiratory difficulties, lethargy, or other serious symptoms. My daughter also had a fever and we were given Tamiflu over the phone (me too since I'm high risk--pregnant). She also had gotten the H1N1 mist a week before she got sick but since kids under 10 need 2 doses, it wasn't enough to prevent her from catching it. Fortunately her fevers only lasted 2 days with the Tamiflu and she's better now. Hope your son feels better soon!

jse107
10-24-2009, 07:12 PM
We went. Negative for flu and strep (according to the quick swabs). Yippee! Never thought I'd be happy for a common cold/virus.