PDA

View Full Version : What do I absolutely NEED for a newborn?

todzwife
10-24-2009, 09:26 PM
I don't remember anymore. It's been a while since I've had a newborn. I don't remember what all they require LOL!

SnuggleBuggles
10-24-2009, 09:44 PM
I realized just how simple newborns were the 2nd time around that we had one. They need somewhere to sleep; if they are co-sleeping then you are all set. They need something to eat; breastfed then you need breasts, formula you need bottles, nipples and formula. They need diapers and they need clothes. They need a way to safely get around carseat, stroller and/ or carrier. They don't need anything beyond that. :)

Lots of things make it easier though. Swaddling blankets, pillow to use when feeding the baby, a swing our bouncy seat for baby to relax in, a nightlight for middle of the night diaper changes...

Beth

ourbabygirl
10-24-2009, 10:32 PM
I would say a good supply of *big* burp cloths, some pacifiers if you're o.k. with them, and something to bathe them in (& some body wash). An extra onesie is good to keep in the diaper bag for blow-outs, and our top two toys/ accessories for DD's first 6 months were the bouncy chair (they lay back in it and bounce in it; you can also set it to vibrate & play music) and her 'play mat' to bat at the toys and look at herself in the mirror.
We didn't get much use out of the Bumbo, the Boppy, or another FP vibrating 'chair'- she much preferred to 'bounce' by kicking her feet. Also didn't actually use bottles much or the bottle warmer because I nursed. Did use the pump a lot in the beginning because I was still getting used to the whole nursing thing. We loved our snap-n-go stroller frame and now love our BOB :). I would say to get a couple of good bedtime books, too, to start the bedtime routine. DD & I like "Time for Bed" and "Night night prayer."

maestramommy
10-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Hey congratulations! I didn't know you were expecting! :cheerleader1:

food, dipes, a place to sleep, and right now, clothing that keeps him/her cozy:love5:

*I* OTOH, need a few carriers, for the baby that doesn't want to be put down:p

bubbaray
10-24-2009, 10:49 PM
I realized just how simple newborns were the 2nd time around that we had one. They need somewhere to sleep; if they are co-sleeping then you are all set. They need something to eat; breastfed then you need breasts, formula you need bottles, nipples and formula. They need diapers and they need clothes. They need a way to safely get around carseat, stroller and/ or carrier. They don't need anything beyond that. :)

:yeahthat:

Congratulations!

ThreeofUs
10-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Congratulations! You know, I found the book "heading home with your newborn" by Jana and Shu of immense help as I was trying to remember what to expect and what I needed.

Have a great pregnancy!

JBaxter
10-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Someplace to sleep, somthing to eat, something to ride in something to keep them warm and dry. :) and lots of momma love <3
Congrats!

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Congratulations! You know, I found the book "heading home with your newborn" by Jana and Shu of immense help as I was trying to remember what to expect and what I needed.

Have a great pregnancy!

I forgot about that book! It was great!!

Beth

billysmommy
10-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Totally agree with everything

Huge congratulations to you Shandelle ~ when are you due?
We think of you everytime Benjamin wears his Mater shirt and he still uses his turtle blankie :)

misshollygolightly
10-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Don't forget dipes, wipes, hand sanitizer. We loved having soothing heartbeat CDs and a white noise machine. Also, someplace to bathe baby (in the sink is fine, but a little plastic tub was easier for us), gentle baby wash, and maybe bath thermometer to help regulate the water temp. I love the baby nightgowns w/ foldover mitts to keep baby from scratching. Oh, and maybe nail trimmers and a nose suctiony thing?

I was also glad I stocked up on stuff like easy or frozen meals, toilet paper, paper towels, dish soap, and laundry detergent. Congratulations!

hellbennt
10-25-2009, 03:20 PM
:yeahthat: to all of the above.
ask for (or buy) a cozy hooded towel or two...
if breastfeeding, I happen to adore nursing shirts that are *like* the boob brand ones; shirts w/ an empire waist opening to nurse- this style is great for being discreet and keeping your mama-belly covered:)
I also:love5::love-retry::heartbeat:baby carriers...

todzwife
10-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks everyone ;) I'm due in May w/ #3, but DD is nearly 4 and it's been a LONG time since I've done the newborn thing. We got rid of EVERYTHING when we moved. Swing, bouncy, play gym, car seat...and I'm trying to figure out what I can do without since this may be our last and I don't want to RE-buy it all for 1 kid.

JBaxter
10-25-2009, 08:41 PM
CRAIGSLIST!! seriously tons of stuff on there

mudder17
10-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks everyone ;) I'm due in May w/ #3, but DD is nearly 4 and it's been a LONG time since I've done the newborn thing. We got rid of EVERYTHING when we moved. Swing, bouncy, play gym, car seat...and I'm trying to figure out what I can do without since this may be our last and I don't want to RE-buy it all for 1 kid.

Wow, congratulations Shandelle!!!! I am so excited for you! Well, I'm guessing you already have the diapers, right? As for the swing, bouncy, etc., I would say wait until the baby comes before getting any of those because you don't know for sure which will work. I agree with Beth's first post--their "needs" really are very simple. Personally, I think the swaddling blanket is a big need, but you can usually find miracle blankets on the swap.

daisymommy
10-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Congrats Shandelle! Happy Pregnancy!!!

awoodm
10-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Swaddle blankets
Gowns- easy access for changing, also lightweight for a May baby- layer if needed with a onesie, socks and a cap. - my favorite combo for both DS's. Gymbo has some really soft, roomy ones that we loved.
A sling or carrier is fantastic, especially with older ones- keeps baby close and hands free.

LD92599
10-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Congrats!!

MoJo
10-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Congrats!

I've found a couple of close friends who are done having kids wanted to give me lots of their hand-me-downs - more than I can use, in some cases. Maybe you'll have someone like that. . . . or you can be that person when your new LO outgrows everything.

Certainly not a need, but I loved my exersaucer-type toy so I could have some hands-free time before DD was walking. The activity mat with dangling toys got daily play, too. And once they're sitting, I wouldn't want to live without my shopping cart cover.

If you let people IRL know what you've told us (you don't have anything left from your older DC), I'd guess you'll get some offers for "stuff" or even a shower!