PDA

View Full Version : carpet cleaning devices?

slworld
10-24-2009, 09:55 PM
So now since we've had a poop & puke accident on the carpet, I think I need to keep some carpet cleaning stuff on hand. So I am looking for any devices that would get decent results - some kind of brush (something like the woolite one?)/device, cleaning solution, etc. Any suggestions for what works for you & how to use it?

Thanks much

slworld
11-04-2009, 07:29 PM
bump ... after another puke accident on the carpet.

niccig
11-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Oh, I need to know this too. I FINALLY got the carpets professional cleaned yesterday and they look sooooo good. They got stains out that I didn't think they could. I've used this company before and they are good, the stains don't return. But it won't be long until DS or the dog make another mess.

I want to keep it looking good. I think you need to have carpets professionally cleaned once a year. In between, I'm thinking of borrowing a friend's carpet cleaner.

For spot stain removal, I've used Natures Miracle with success on pee/puke accidents. The trick is to get to the stain as soon as possible. We had some stains that set before I knew they were there, those needed the professional cleaning. I also bought the spot remover the carpet cleaner uses, I haven't tried it yet though. I asked for advice and he said to spray the stain, don't rub the stain, he said to use a stiff brush in an up/down motion to get the stain remover deeper into the carpet, then he said to get an absorbent towel and stand on it over the stain. keep blotting until there is no more stain colour that transfers to the towel. The back of the bottle says to cover with a towel and then weigh down the area with something heavy and leave overnight if you need to.

HTH.

slworld
11-04-2009, 07:42 PM
I also bought the spot remover the carpet cleaner uses,

Can you please share what the product is?

Thanks

niccig
11-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Can you please share what the product is?

Thanks

The label says "McCalla Company Janitorial Supplies Pro-Spotter High Power Carpet Spotter". It does contain ammonia, so it's a chemical based, and serious stuff. I haven't had reason to use it yet. I'm going to use it only if the nature's miracle doesn't work. Nature's miracle is an enzyme product, and I've had good success with pee/puke. But only when I get to it soon after.

I think his advice to not rub at a stain, but to work it up/down and then use weight to blot it clean, is the way to go. I know I rub and he said that spreads the stain. I think if you can get to a stain immediately, you can get it out.

But after seeing how great my carpets look today, I'm going to be better about having them come out once a year.

niccig
11-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Here's some advice from an older thread about dog vomit... Hope that helps.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=311803