PDA

View Full Version : 2nd person in DS's class has H1N1

HIU8
10-24-2009, 10:38 PM
and we are not yet vaxed. DS's teacher had it and now a little girl in the class has it. Needless to say we are being vigilant about hand washing and cleaning doorknobs and toys etc... at home (as they are at school).

lilycat88
10-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Good luck! DD was the 2nd (in a class of 14) in her kindergarten class to get it and the day after she came down with it, a total of 7 were absent. By the time it was over, 12 of the 14 kids had it. They were disinfecting multiple times a day and washing hands like crazy. Still spread like wildfire.

mecawa
10-25-2009, 07:53 AM
Good luck! DD was the 2nd (in a class of 14) in her kindergarten class to get it and the day after she came down with it, a total of 7 were absent. By the time it was over, 12 of the 14 kids had it. They were disinfecting multiple times a day and washing hands like crazy. Still spread like wildfire.

Yikes!!!!!

DD2 has been vaxed (thank god)!!! But DD1(no serious health conditions) has not, and is in K full time, her school has been okay so far, but many of the schools around us are starting to have major outbreaks. My ped will offer the vax, or should, to the rest of the population in November, and I am hoping her school will be spared until she is vaxed.

To the OP, good luck, I hope you guys are spared.:hug:

g-mama
10-25-2009, 08:23 AM
A friend of mine teaches at our elementary school and told me that she thinks we may be close to reaching a point where our school will be shut down for 1-2 weeks due to huge absentee rates because of H1N1. There were numerous classes last week where more than 50% of the students were out sick.

HIU8
10-25-2009, 07:41 PM
They won't tell us the number of kids out sick, but it's a preschool with 2-4 yr olds and one K class. I call twice weekly to listen to the message at the peds to find out if/when they will have more vax so that I can bring in DS and DD. Plus, I would eventually like to be vaxed as well. DH will b/c he works at a hospital (although not in direct patient care).

amldaley
10-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Do they ACTUALLY have it though???

My friend took her 2.5 yo to the Dr for fever and not eating or drinking. We have H1N1 cases here and also a rampant steak of strep throat going around. But we also have another bug, just a fever and sore throat with exhaustion, which has been going away after 3 or 4 days.

Her dd has Downs, so can't really speak anything more than my 15 mo can, though she is great at signing. She signed that her throat hurt and her ear hurt and that she was tired.

The Dr's office declared she has H1N1 without even testing her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She had just had the flu mist 3 days before symptoms started.

My friend questioned the diagnoses, then they "also" discovered an ear infection. She questioned again and they admitted that while some places are testing and tracking, this place, a VERY large military hospital, does not test or track.

Can I tell you how many cases in our community would be determined by this one facility?

So, before assuming ALL of these kids have it, is there any way to check to see what clinics or hospitals or labs in your area are actually testing for it?

tmarie
10-25-2009, 09:38 PM
The Dr's office declared she has H1N1 without even testing her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dds both have been sick in the last two weeks. Dd#2 has been tested by my ped 3 times for h1n1. All came back negative. They didn't declare her as an official case, but they did say that the flu test is less than 80% accurate in detecting h1n1, so she could still have it. (She had ALL the symptoms, including a fever of 104-5 for five days straight). I've heard of other peds in our area just declaring cases based on the symptoms BECAUSE the test is so insensitive.

tmarie

amldaley
10-25-2009, 09:43 PM
My dds both have been sick in the last two weeks. Dd#2 has been tested by my ped 3 times for h1n1. All came back negative. They didn't declare her as an official case, but they did say that the flu test is less than 80% accurate in detecting h1n1, so she could still have it. (She had ALL the symptoms, including a fever of 104-5 for five days straight). I've heard of other peds in our area just declaring cases based on the symptoms BECAUSE the test is so insensitive.

tmarie

But there are other illnesses that could cause those symptoms.

And her daughter did not have the high fever for 5 days straight.

I don't want to suggest that people should be less vigilant in caring for sick kids, but I don't buy in to the "national emergency". I think there are alot of cases that are being "declared" that are not actually swine flu.

HIU8
10-25-2009, 09:53 PM
We got an email about the little girl from DS's class, from her mom. She had over 103 for 5 days and her mom took her to her ped thinking strep. Her ped tested and it wasn't strep, but did say it looked like H1N1. The ped didn't test for it, but the ped is treating it as H1N1.

I was so worried about DS who has been sick for over a month already that he has been to the ped 3x in 1 month. He has been complaining of his ears hurting and his throat. He does not have an ear infection and 2x the strep culture came back negative (the last time DS had strep he had no symptoms and was positive in the rapid strep test). I'm worried about DS getting sick on top of this cold thing that he can't seem to kick. It took DD about 2.5 weeks to get rid of it and DH still has it (although I'm finally no longer sick).

DrSally
10-25-2009, 10:49 PM
30% of the elementary school across the street from us is out with "flu like sx". Granted, we don't have school age kids, but that's a lot.

lilycat88
10-25-2009, 11:21 PM
5 of the cases in DDs K class were confirmed as type A flu. Pretty safe to say that the other 7 were as well. It swept through her class over 3 weeks ago at this point. DDs ped was still testing for flu at that point but I think they aren't now just due to the sheer numbers. At least in Indianapolis, 3 weeks ago there were cases but it wasn't like it is now. According to her ped, the test could give false negatives but if it's positive...it's positive. They are only keeping actual counts of cases at certain places, not every case detected is being reported somewhere.