PDA

View Full Version : Is a lap desk a good gift?

Melaine
10-25-2009, 08:19 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Lap-Desk-Royal-Blue/dp/B001M7Q432/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1256472633&sr=8-1

I was thinking about getting some of these and personalizing them. (They are cheap at Michaels). I thought they look like they could be useful but we don't have them so I'm not sure.

Melaine
10-25-2009, 08:39 AM
See, I was thinking of painting the names on like this:
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=kd0947

kayte
10-25-2009, 11:01 AM
OUrs has been useful while DD is suffering form the flu.

Melaine
10-25-2009, 11:07 AM
OUrs has been useful while DD is suffering form the flu.

Oh I didn't think of that. Makes sense. I like that they can stack together too. Anyone have older kids that use these? Thinking about nieces and nephews (oldest like 7, down to toddlers). I'd love a gift I could give to all, with different colors and each one with a name.

Also, anyone know what paint would work best on these? TIA!

ourbabygirl
10-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Cute idea! Good for you, coming up with holiday gifts already :)!
It might also be cute to paint the middle section with chalkboard paint so they can use it in the car (or at home) to draw on. You could write their name on with chalk and then wrap it, but include an eraser, box of skinny (versus sidewalk) colored chalk, and maybe some snacks or Christmas candy/ stickers/ whatever in the other little side holder. I think puffy paint would be cute to decorate it, also they have glow-in-the-dark puffy paint (whitish-green) that I used on some little plastic kid containers for my Halloween goodie bags at our party. I wrote their names on with marker, then did the puffy paint on top, and it really did glow- it was cool.

Melaine
10-25-2009, 12:28 PM
It might also be cute to paint the middle section with chalkboard paint so they can use it in the car (or at home) to draw on. You could write their name on with chalk and then wrap it, but include an eraser, box of skinny (versus sidewalk) colored chalk, and maybe some snacks or Christmas candy/ stickers/ whatever in the other little side holder. I think puffy paint would be cute to decorate it, also they have glow-in-the-dark puffy paint (whitish-green) that I used on some little plastic kid containers for my Halloween goodie bags at our party. I wrote their names on with marker, then did the puffy paint on top, and it really did glow- it was cool.

OHHHHH the chalkboard paint idea is awesome.:bighand: I have no experience with it, where do I get it and will it work fine on plastic? Thanks for the suggestion.

kayte
10-25-2009, 12:45 PM
OHHHHH the chalkboard paint idea is awesome.:bighand: I have no experience with it, where do I get it and will it work fine on plastic? Thanks for the suggestion.

We have several things in our house painted with chalkboard paint. IF you ask my husband, he would say too many. lol :innocent:

But for plastic, you'll want to go with spray paint. I think Krylon's specifically says plastics, for sure. THen just tape off the area you want to do and then spray away.

But I will warn you it's addictive....you might find yourself buying Irish oatmeal in cans--the type of oatmeal that is not your family's favorite--and serving it to them over and over --just so you can spray paint the cans for nifty organizers that you can right on with chalk!!! lol!!!!!

After the oatmeal can incident I discovered it works great on the quart sized empty paint cans they sell at Home Depot. They make adorable art supply holders (I gave DD's teacher a set)

I also have a large area on the wall painted with chalkboard paint across from my kitchen. LOVE it ! (that's with paint in a can though and not okay on plastic)

Gena
10-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Anyone have older kids that use these?

I had one in college and used it all the time. I liked to write my papers sitting on my bed instead of at my desk. (I wrote my rough drafts in longhand and then typed them up afterwards.)

Melaine
10-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Wow Kayte thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to check the prices on these again at Michael's but I think this could really be a great inexpensive gift! I think they were $8-$10 but I would be using coupons :-)

kristac
10-25-2009, 03:02 PM

Chalk board paint would be great I think but puffy paint might be annoying to color/write over, etc

ourbabygirl
10-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the puffy paint would just be on the side holders as decoration (shapes like stars, hearts, dots, happy faces, etc.). :)

Melbel
10-25-2009, 04:08 PM
What a cute idea! DD1 received this lap desk for her 8th birthday and loves it.

http://swoozies.com/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=151091&catId=NULL

With 3 across, this style works better in the car. I have seen similar items for much less that you may be able to personalize.

For more cute decorating ideas, check out this Etsy search: http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=handmade&search_query=lap+desk&order=price_asc&ship_to=

katydid1971
10-25-2009, 04:10 PM
FWIT DS has one that was given to him a while ago that is never used and is always in the way. Its hard to store and just not something we need. I was just thinking if its ok to give it away since it was a gift from my favorite aunt.

KrisM
10-25-2009, 04:27 PM

I wouldn't use it in the car. They're pretty hard plastic and you wouldn't want your child's face to slam into it in an accident. For the car, I'd get something with a softer surface.

reneed
10-25-2009, 07:18 PM
I bought the one from Michaels and used paint pens. DS loves it! He uses it for snacks, to write on, drive his cars on etc.

MommyAllison
10-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Ooh I should get one for DD. She takes her crayons and colored pencils alllll over the house to color, but has trouble finding a good surface in some rooms. I had one when I was little and remember being too tall for it - the angle hurt my wrist when I was writing. For a preschooler though, it should be perfect! Thanks!