PDA

View Full Version : What skiing resort to visit?

bluestarfish18
10-25-2009, 09:23 AM
ILs want to treat us to a Xmas vaca with them. Yahoo! We're looking for somewhere we can ski/board/spa/swim...the works. Has anyone been to a resort they love? Kinda like the one in Park City on JK+8. A condo we can rent out for 6 plus kids would be perfect. We're willing to fly our to the Rockies.

TIA!

bubbaray
10-25-2009, 11:03 AM
WHISTLER!!! But you knew I was going to say that! ;)

elliput
10-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Have you considered Montana? Big Sky (http://www.bigskyresort.com/) or Whitefish Mountain (http://www.skiwhitefish.com/)
Or Idaho? Schweitzer (http://www.schweitzer.com/) or Sun Valley (http://www.sunvalley.com/SunValley/Index.aspx)

I've been to Big Sky a couple times for skiing- I lived close to there so day tripped only. I worked for a ski area when I was in college (none of the above mentioned), and have heard positive things from the die-hards about each of them.

bubbaray
10-25-2009, 11:22 AM
DH and I were just talking about this.

I found this site: http://www.familyskiresorts.net/best-family-ski-resorts.html

He said if he was planning a family ski trip in the US, he'd pick one of the UT resorts probably.

bluestarfish18
10-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Melissa..Whistler? Really? What a stretch! :wink2:

I'll check out all those sites and get back with any more q's...Thanks ladies!

We'll see if I can stand being with the ILs for a week.

nfowife
10-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Breckenridge would be great! They have 2 different ski schools, childcare as part of the ski school, very relaxed atmoshphere as well. Lots of condo options too. We had a great time there!

StantonHyde
10-27-2009, 01:52 PM
I can't believe I didn't see this!! Utah is the way to go for families. (Big Sky is BUTT cold)

J&K+8 went to the Canyons. It has tons of terrain and condos right there. It is not walkably accessible to Park City. You can take a shuttle into Park City if you want to. Park City resort has lots of great facilities, is right in PC, and you could do Vacation Rental by Owner for a slew of condos in PC (thus probably getting a cheaper rate). (Even if you go to the Canyons, search VRBO--some of those condos are not owned/run by the resort itself and I know friends who have had very good experiences with it.)

The Cottonwood Canyons have MUCH better snow but they are really isolated--no towns, just the resort itself. If you want something a bit quieter like that, then Snowbird is great and it has an awesome spa. I just think Park City would give you more variety for a large group of people.

Deer Valley is really, really luxe--but no boarders allowed. You are really catered to but I just bristle at the crowd that skis there. Plus, if you can ski, skiing with people who are CLUELESS is really annoying. (somehow there are way fewer of those folks at PC and the Canyons)

Ski resorts are giving out some great deals now--so check those websites for ski packages.

kcampbell
11-05-2009, 09:08 AM
All of the ski resorts in CO are awesome. We have a 3.5 and a 5 year old and have skiied every year with them. We have done Vail, Breckenridge, Copper and finally Keystone. You can't wrong with the mountains, ski school and other options for recreation. The snow is almost guaranteed to be amazing anytime of the ski season. We actually bought a place out in Keystone, PM me if you would like to see the link to it or have any specific questions about skiing with little ones. Have fun!

mrspeachykeen
11-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Whistler or Steamboat. I love Whistler. Park City is a favorite of ours, but we don't like Deer Valley or the Canyons (too flat here). We love Snowbasin out there but it is too much of a drive for kids.

Both Whistler and Steamboat are very contained towns and great for families.

bluestarfish18
11-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Whistler or Steamboat. I love Whistler. Park City is a favorite of ours, but we don't like Deer Valley or the Canyons (too flat here). We love Snowbasin out there but it is too much of a drive for kids.

Both Whistler and Steamboat are very contained towns and great for families.

DH saw Steamboat on Travel channel and is now obsessed. Looks like the contains-everything resort we're looking for: tubing, skiing, boarding, spa, sleighrides, the works!

Thank you everyone! I'm sure I'll be back to ask what to pack for our big adventure!

karenj2
11-06-2009, 05:53 PM
I really enjoyed Beaver Creek in Colorado... I'm not sure how family friendly it is, since we went with another couple and had no kids, but I certainly saw a lot of kids around!

If I ever get back west for skiing, that's definitely where I'd go again!

arivecchi
11-06-2009, 06:09 PM
WHISTLER!!! But you knew I was going to say that! ;):yeahthat: Heaven on Earth.

lchang25000
11-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Utah is advertised as having the best snow on earth. :D It's even on the license plates.

AngelaS
11-07-2009, 11:15 AM
We love Big Sky and Schweitzer as well. I was in the Canyons in Park City this summer and REALLY want to go back in the winter to ski. :)

Melbel
12-29-2009, 09:41 AM
How did it go???? I am contemplating a family trip too. My DC have not seen snow (well DS did at age 1 but of course he does not remember).

bluestarfish18
12-29-2009, 12:42 PM
How did it go???? I am contemplating a family trip too. My DC have not seen snow (well DS did at age 1 but of course he does not remember).

We ended up going to Cancun! ILs decided that they were sick of all the cold weather up in Washington, so they treated us to an all-inclusive resort. We had a blast, both kids loved it and I'm still recovering from all those free drinks and sun :)

WatchingThemGrow
12-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Wow - unexpected!!! I was thinking you'd say you had a great time at Steamboat, LOOOOOVED the hot water slides in town, had great childcare, and you went down my favorite slope - Tomahawk. Glad you had a nice warm vacation. You deserve it this year!!!

AnnieW625
12-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Glad to hear you had a great time, maybe there will skiing next year!:) My dad has been to Steamboat Springs a number of times and has loved every trip there, even the one where he tore his ACL trying to ski the moguls like he was 15 yrs. old again (he was 32 at the time!). And FWIW both Squaw Valley, and Northstar at Tahoe are very nice for California skiing. Lots of variety in runs for beginners to advanced. No clue about child care as I was at least cross country skiing by the time I was 4 (and little bro was 18 mos.) with my parents as I don't think child care existed in those days.