PDA

View Full Version : Kindergarten backpacks - which ones have worked this year?

jess_g
10-25-2009, 09:50 AM
I am wondering which Lands End type backpack everyone bought for their kindergartener this year and if it has worked out for them?

I bought my 6 year old ds a featherlight lands end backpack for Kidnergarten but it seams a bit too big for him. He is having trouble finding things because eveythng kind of falls to the bottom of the bag. I am looking for a smaller one for him and wondered what has worked for other kindergarteners this year? I am looking for one with one main compartment instead of 2 as I think this will make it easier for my ds to find things in it when he is in school. I am looking at one like this:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/BoysPreschoolBackpack~172815_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::COB&CM_MERCH=IDX_00003__0000000389&origin=index

I think Lands End had another one with a big pocket in front but I can't find it on their website. Would something like the above be too preschoolish for a kindergartener? It looks like just the right size for my son.

Thanks,

Jesscia.

Joolsplus2
10-25-2009, 10:10 AM
We got good use out of the original LLBean one up till 3rd grade (by 4th, our school mandates giganto-huge binders that only fit in the larger Deluxe pack) http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=62856&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=504614&feat=504614-tn&cat4=504613

kristenk
10-25-2009, 10:39 AM
DD (in K) is using an LL Bean Junior Original Book Pack that I purchased a few years ago. I think that I might have purchased it for 3yo preschool, so this is her 3rd year using it. DD is not a big kid, so the junior backpack is a good size for her. I was planning on using it at the start of kindergarten and then transitioning to a larger backpack, when necessary. I think that we might make it all the way through K with this backpack and then move on for 1st grade.

Oh, here's the link: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=62855&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=504614&feat=504614-tn&cat4=504613

bubbaray
10-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Just got the LLB Original rolling bp for DD#1 b/c school kept sending home heavy library books, Scholastic order, etc.

We previously had the LLB Original jr bp for 3 yrs.

jerseygirl07067
10-25-2009, 10:57 AM
We got this one, except at the time we ordered it, (early august), it also came in a junior size, which was a bit smaller, and that's the size we got. I can't find that size on their website anymore. We ordered the regular and the junior size to compare them, and the junior size defnitely fit better and still was large enough to fit a folder in it, which the school requested. It also has only one main large compartment as opposed to two.

I wonder if you still might be able to find the jr. size at SEars.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/ClassicClassMateBackpack~146398_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::PRO&CM_MERCH=IDX_00003__0000000389&origin=index

We got one in plain red, and then ironed on some fun decals of puppies, as DD loves puppies!

crl
10-25-2009, 11:01 AM
DS has this one:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/ClassMateSmallHaulBackpack~198918_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::HTZ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00003__0000000388&origin=index

It's working fine. A smaller one would not work for him as he often has his lunch and his jacket crammed in there. Previously he had a small LLBean backpack, which held up quite well, but had terrible zippers. Both he and I were perpetually getting the zippers stuck on the fabric. The LandsEnd one is a huge improvement.

Catherine

jamesmom
10-25-2009, 11:35 AM
DS and DD are using LL Bean backpacks (Original and Junior size) for the second year. The bags have worked out great. Both bags look new, other than the small pin-size holes in the front of DD's backpack from where she dragged it across asphalt. :( Love LL Bean's 100% customer satisfaction though. I plan to return her bag to LL Bean for an exchange during Christmas break.

neeter
10-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Ditto the LE classmate -- works perfectly for DS. We have the featherlight too -- its also too big.

bubbaray
10-25-2009, 11:49 AM
DS and DD are using LL Bean backpacks (Original and Junior size) for the second year. The bags have worked out great. Both bags look new, other than the small pin-size holes in the front of DD's backpack from where she dragged it across asphalt. :( Love LL Bean's 100% customer satisfaction though. I plan to return her bag to LL Bean for an exchange during Christmas break.

A bit of a hijack, but just wondering if this is OK to do? One of my girls dragged her LLB Jr backpack and it has holes on the very front pocket now. I didn't think it was (morally) OK to return it under their guaranty b/c it was something she did to the pack, not a problem or fault in the product itself, KWIM? Just wondering what others thought??

DebbieJ
10-25-2009, 12:35 PM
we have the LE ClassMate Small Haul and it has worked out great.

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Bought the LL Bean junior back for kindergarten and he is still using it for 2nd grade. Works great.

Beth

crl
10-25-2009, 01:28 PM
A bit of a hijack, but just wondering if this is OK to do? One of my girls dragged her LLB Jr backpack and it has holes on the very front pocket now. I didn't think it was (morally) OK to return it under their guaranty b/c it was something she did to the pack, not a problem or fault in the product itself, KWIM? Just wondering what others thought??

Hmm, well the guarantee is unconditional. So, morally, maybe it depends on what you expected when you bought the product? Maybe if you bought the more expensive (compared to Target) LLBean backpack because you thought it would stand up to the abuse, then it's okay to return it when it doesn't?

(But, honestly I probably wouldn't because I'd figure it was my kid's fault, not the backpack's.)

Catherine

lizzywednesday
10-25-2009, 01:33 PM

Whether it's right or wrong people truly do this all the time. My friend worked at an LL Bean store for a number of years and the stories she told about the shoes alone would curl your hair!

Seeing as how the guarantee is honored whether it's a product fault or a regular use issue, with no questions asked, the ethics get blurry.

Twin Mom
10-25-2009, 02:18 PM
DC both have the classmate junior (not on their site right now) from Land's End. They used them in K and are still using them in 1st grade. I think they'll probably work next year too but I don't know if DC will go for a 3rd year with the same backpacks. Still look new IMO. They do have 2 compartments which I like b/c I can fit the folders in the smaller one and then put jackets/lunch in the bigger one.

westgre
10-25-2009, 03:29 PM
I have had trouble with LL Bean backpacks for DD. I'm very dissapointed since I still have mine from college. Last year I bought her the classic for kindergarten. By Christmas it had a large rip in it. I have no idea how it happened as it happened at school. So, I sent it back this summer for a new one for first grade. BTW, the LL Bean custmore service rep said they are covered for general wear and tear. She basically said as long as you didn't tie it to the back of your car and drive, it was basically covered. No problem with the exchange. Customer service was awesome. But, within two weeks of using it in first grade, the zipper to the main compartment broke. We went to KMart and bought a Wizards of Waverly Place messenger bag on sale for $7. It has held up great. I'm sending the LL Bean back for a refund this time.

hellokitty
10-25-2009, 04:47 PM
The LL Bean Jr would have worked ok, but we ended up getting the little critter one and it is great. He can stuff his jacket in there when it's too hot when he comes home from school on the bus.

Karenn
10-25-2009, 05:10 PM
We have the LE classmate small haul and it's a little too small for my first grader and all the stuff he likes to shove in there. It just barely fits his lunch box, folder & jacket. When we try to fit an extra library book or folder in there it's really tight. In his ideal world, he'd be able to easily fit all of the above things and his soccer ball, but that may be asking too much. :ROTFLMAO:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/ClassMateSmallHaulBackpack~198918_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::HTZ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00003__0000000389&origin=index

o_mom
10-25-2009, 06:07 PM
We have a LE Small Haul and it has been fine. He puts his lunch in it, the school folder and usually stuffs his jacket in it in the afternoon with no issue. He brought home a small pumpkin in it this week as well. :)

I'm thinking this will be big enough for K-2 and then we can get another slightly larger one for 3-5.

inmypjs
10-26-2009, 12:08 AM
We have the LL Bean original and so far it's been just great. I'm glad to hear about the guarantee in case we do have any probs!

mom2binsd
10-26-2009, 12:11 AM
We bought one at the GAP last year, it's been great for K and 1st, also have the lunch kit that attaches by clips to the outside, it has held up very very well. It's about an average size, holds folders etc but not too big.

giavila
10-26-2009, 12:30 AM
The LL Bean Jr would have worked ok, but we ended up getting the little critter one and it is great. He can stuff his jacket in there when it's too hot when he comes home from school on the bus.

Ditto! Bought DD the LL Bean Critter Pack for K and it's really great. Love the size.

jamesmom
10-26-2009, 08:02 AM

I guess I expected more from an LL Bean backpack than a generic character backpack purchased from Kohls, based on the glowing customer reviews on the LL Bean website and some great reviews here. That in large part is why I bought my kids LL Bean backpacks. DS' Diego backpack endured rougher treatment in his 2 years of preschool and has stood up better to the wear and tear of going to school and after school activities, including being dragged on the ground. DD is a lot easier on her backpacks, not least because I usually carry it when I send her to school. She does wear her backpack on the way out though. The damage happened the one time she took off her backpack while walking through the parking lot and it dragged on the ground because she is petite. I caught it quickly but was a little shocked at the amount of damage on the bag. There were pinholes and also some wear around the front pocket from being dragged on the ground for a couple of feet. Maybe it was just that spot on the sidewalk or the way it was dragged or something, but there was certainly more wear and damage from that one incident than I saw on DS' Diego backpack from two years of preschool. That is what I'm not satisfied with. I guess it's all relative.

infomama
10-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Not LE but we bought the LLB rolling critter pack and it is wonderful. http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=rolling-critter-pack&categoryId=47983&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1

jamesmom
10-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Whether it's right or wrong people truly do this all the time. My friend worked at an LL Bean store for a number of years and the stories she told about the shoes alone would curl your hair!

Seeing as how the guarantee is honored whether it's a product fault or a regular use issue, with no questions asked, the ethics get blurry.

I'm sure people abuse the policy, and I'm not saying you think I do, but I am a longtime LL Bean card holder and have purchased hundreds of LL Bean products over the years, and only once before returned something to them for unsatisfactory performance. I think they have done pretty well by me over the years. :) Just want to add that I would not hesitate purchasing another backpack from them, and would wholeheartedly recommend their backpacks to anyone.