PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone bothered by the fact that American Girl Dolls are made...overseas?

jerseygirl07067
10-25-2009, 11:19 AM
I love the concept of the AG dolls We already have Bitty Baby, which was a gift. Recently, we've been getting the AG catologues in the mail, and Sammy and Julia are obsessed with them, looking at the catalogues for hours and hours!

So I'm thinking of getting them one for the holidays but I have issues with the fact that they're made in China. I mean, it's so ironic, given the concept that they showcase American history. But the price? OMG, it's really bothering me to spend that much on something made overseas. If it was made here, or in Italy, Germany, etc. I'd be more okay with it, but they are so expensive as well as the accessories.

But I'm still thinking about it anyway, though a bit conflicted, lol.

kayte
10-25-2009, 11:29 AM
They were originally made in New York, then in Germany by Gotz.

clb
10-25-2009, 11:48 AM
I got the catalogue in the mail the other week. I knew the dolls were expensive, but I couldn't believe the prices on the accessories. And all the matching girl/doll outfits....yikes.

Glad DS isn't into this.

kransden
10-25-2009, 11:49 AM
They are owned by Mattel now.

egoldber
10-25-2009, 11:55 AM
FWIW, I think very few girls have all the accessories. Sarah is content to just have the nightgown. She likes to look at the other things, but is not into collecting every single item.

jerseygirl07067
10-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Interesting...I did not know they were originally made here. I called the company a few weeks ago and I was told they were now made in the far east region. When I asked if they were made in China, they told me, yes.

The irony is funny to me...American Girl doll...manufactured in China....It still bugs me to spend $100 bucks on the doll. I secretly hope my girls will move onto something else they're interested in, lol.

egoldber
10-25-2009, 05:13 PM
I think I love the AG dolls more than my girls do. ;)

ourbabygirl
10-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Well, DD is only 1 so obviously not into AG yet, nor any other dolls for that matter. My friend and I went through one of the stores last spring, and I think they somehow got me on a mailing list, so I got a catalog a week or so ago, which I promptly recycled because I don't even want the temptation. Even though they're expensive and MIC, I'd still prefer them over Barbies and Bratz!

Melaine
10-25-2009, 06:19 PM
I think I love the AG dolls more than my girls do. ;)

:yeahthat: MIC is not a deal breaker to me. I would appreciate AG making their products elsewhere, but I still :heartbeat: them.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-25-2009, 06:23 PM
DD is too young yet. But I do not buy Mattel, minus one Holiday Barbie per year, as I had those as a child. So I will not spend $100 for something MIC, especially by Mattel. It REALLY bugs me! I am really stubborn an opinionated though.:waving4:

katydid1971
10-25-2009, 07:03 PM
I just spent way too much money buying Kirsten stuff for DD, she's 18 months old but I've always wanted Kirsten for her (long before she ever was;)). I'm putting them away for another 5 or 6 years for her. I can't believe how much money I spent on them but they do keep their value and I like them so much better than Barbie or Bratz like pp said.

hbridge
10-25-2009, 08:24 PM
As with all of this type of thing, I guess some of it depends on your families philosophy about dolls. While most of DD's friends have A LOT of baby dolls, DD has one Bitty Baby. My thought is that we only need one and DD loves it! This doll is well loved, not one of many.

Same with the 18" dolls. We just acquired her ONE. It's a historic doll and the only accessory we purchased that's "goes with" this doll, was a pair of skates. That being said DD loves ALL the stories and we are collecting the books and movies. In fact for Christmas she is getting the Kaya book and the Playmobil Native American Family so she can "play Kaya".

My philosophy is to only have one, so for us, it's worth the money to have the quality and the customer service. I LOVE the fact that I can get the doll repaired if something happens to it.

PS We also only have one Barbie... Just don't ask about Playmobile, it's taken over :)

randomkid
10-25-2009, 08:35 PM
The irony is funny to me...American Girl doll...manufactured in China....It still bugs me to spend $100 bucks on the doll. I secretly hope my girls will move onto something else they're interested in, lol.

Hey Marcy!

We get those catalogs in the mail, too and I know I never signed up for it. I let DD look at one once and she wasn't all that interested. Since then, I have pitched them in the recycle bin before they even make it into the house. I just can't imagine spending that kind of money on a doll. DD REALLY plays with her dolls and the Wizard of Oz barbies that I got for her definitely show it. Fortunately, I bought those on eBay for a good price. Can't imagine seeing her play with a $100 doll the way she plays with her others. She's not irresponsible with them, but she isn't especially gentle either. I figure she has enough dolls and I have no plans to buy anymore - inexpensive or otherwise.

I had no idea they were MIC.

citymama
10-25-2009, 08:55 PM
My DH did some research on them - they're all made in the same factory in China. He was researching whether there had been any labor or health violations and investigations against them. He thinks the irony is just immense, in his words "oh great, Chinese kids making American Girl dolls for American girls." I pointed out we have no proof there are any kids involved in making the dolls and he just rolled his eyes. I will let you know if his research shows up anything about the factory - good or bad!

egoldber
10-26-2009, 07:33 AM
I let DD look at one once and she wasn't all that interested.

Again FWIW, the suggested age for the 18" dolls is 7 or 8. I think that is accurate. The dolls and their stories are meant for older children. They are designed to appeal girls who are the age of the "dolls" in their books, which is age 9/10.