PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Eve

Raidra
10-25-2009, 03:09 PM
I know this is still a ways off, but I was just talking to a friend the other day who said that when she was little, a few families would get together on New Year's Eve for a little party - they would put a TV in the kids' bedroom along with sleeping bags, air mattresses, etc, and let the kids stay up or fall asleep as they liked, while the parents all chatted in the living room. The kids would be in their PJs, obviously, and after midnight, they'd all go home to bed.

I thought that sounded like a lot of fun, and I'm just wondering when might be an appropriate age to do that? I think Colwyn (6) might be able to stay up, and a few of his friends are a little older and maybe able to, as well. I think the kids would think it would be fun to have an almost-sleepover, without the worry of parents being gone. But all the kids have younger siblings, so I don't know how that would work.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2009, 03:13 PM
We used to do that to though I never remember my parents trying to get us to sleep during the party. :) My 5.5 stayed up til midnight and did it again last year. I think it would be fine to do it with younger siblings present and just have a room really designated for sleeping. If it isn't working for a family then they can always leave early, right?

Beth

ourbabygirl
10-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I think this would be really fun, too- especially to rent some hotel rooms in a row (at a hotel with a pool/ waterpark) or even some cabins at a lodge up north... I was thinking it would be cool for my siblings and us since we have 4 kids.
Do you worry at all about having people drive home with drunk drivers on the roads after midnight and possible poor road conditions? (We can have major snow and ice here on New Year's.) Not to rain on your parade, but that sort of thing worries me and makes it so I'm not excited to be out and about on New Year's :(- I'd rather stay over somewhere and drive home in the morning.

amldaley
10-25-2009, 07:51 PM
We used to do that to though I never remember my parents trying to get us to sleep during the party. :) My 5.5 stayed up til midnight and did it again last year. I think it would be fine to do it with younger siblings present and just have a room really designated for sleeping. If it isn't working for a family then they can always leave early, right?

Beth

:yeahthat: I seem to remember this at about 3 or 4 years old.

swrc00
10-25-2009, 07:58 PM
I think this is a great idea. We just attended a friend's birthday party and all of us brought pack and plays for the little ones. The kids were scattered throughout the house. They slept just fine.

WitMom
10-25-2009, 08:10 PM
That sounds so fun! We are newer in our town, and so far haven't met any "close" friends that we would want to do this with. Boo:( Maybe next year.