PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't anyone use soap to wash their hands?!!

ett
10-25-2009, 03:44 PM
How come every Sunday morning when I'm in the church bathroom, 4 out of 5 people that washes their hands do not use soap. They turn the faucet on for several seconds and that's it. Children, adults, all the same! With all this talk of H1N1 and proper hand washing, why is no one else doing it! I've always been a fanatic about proper hand washing with our whole family, and even more so now in light of all the sickness going around. But what use is it if no one else around is bothering to do the same thing!!!

Melaine
10-25-2009, 03:45 PM
ITA. It baffles me when I see people "rinse" their hands in the bathroom. That's NOT washing!!!

ett
10-25-2009, 03:50 PM
ITA. It baffles me when I see people "rinse" their hands in the bathroom. That's NOT washing!!!

At least they bother to stop at the sink to rinse. I won't even mention the people who don't even do that!

Melaine
10-25-2009, 03:51 PM
At least they bother to stop at the sink to rinse. I won't even mention the people who don't even do that!

They may be skipping the entire thing and use hand sanitizer upon exiting. I have done that once in awhile. But I think it's just wishful thinking....I think a lot of people just don't wash.

lizzywednesday
10-25-2009, 03:53 PM
They just did a study on what would remind people to wash up after using the restroom and found that a flashing neon sign outside the door would help remind women best, while gross messages would remind men best ... but handwashing rates are still disgustingly low.

If I'd observed what you'd observed at my church, I'd stop shaking hands for the sign of peace!

ett
10-25-2009, 03:58 PM
They just did a study on what would remind people to wash up after using the restroom and found that a flashing neon sign outside the door would help remind women best, while gross messages would remind men best ... but handwashing rates are still disgustingly low.

If I'd observed what you'd observed at my church, I'd stop shaking hands for the sign of peace!

And the thing is, the pastor has even mentioned on the pulpit about how with the H1N1 going around they have now put hand sanitizers at the welcome table, people should stay home if they're sick, and all that.

AnnieW625
10-25-2009, 04:05 PM
I am allergic to Dial soap (it is a side effect of Accutane I took in my late teens 14 years ago) so if there is yellow soap in the bathroom I just don't use it. I do wash my hands with warm water and always try to remember to keep some Purel in my purse when we are out. I'd rather wash with soap too, but in a pinch it works.

alexsmommy
10-25-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm very allergic to most soaps in public places. From all I've read, most of the cleaning comes from the scrubbing and rinsing action so I often do that w/o soap in public washrooms and then use non-alcohol sanitizer or wet-ones on my hands.
I do dobut 4 out of 5 people are allergic so that does not explain it for many people, but I know someone has had to wonder about me here and there - I'm not gross! Cracked bleeding hands are worse and more a health hazzard IMO.

ett
10-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh, I totally understand that some people are allergic to the soap but I'm guessing that is not the case for most people. And there's definitely not much scrubbing and rinsing action going on if they only have the water on for a few seconds. This is all in the women's room, I don't even want to know what happens in the men's room.

lizzywednesday
10-25-2009, 04:33 PM
And the thing is, the pastor has even mentioned on the pulpit about how with the H1N1 going around they have now put hand sanitizers at the welcome table, people should stay home if they're sick, and all that.

I would gently suggest that health posters are put up in the restrooms then, seeing as how the pastor's reminder from the pulpit didn't seem to do much.

At my office, we have posters on our mirrors with reminders on how to wash (period) and for how long ... basically, if you can sing through the alphabet or 'Twinkle,Twinkle Little Star', you've scrubbed long enough.

I've found the posters to be effective reminders in addition to being a bit anxious about germs in general now that I'm pregnant!

dotgirl
10-26-2009, 02:14 AM
My DS has extremely sensitive skin and can't use the soap found in bathrooms or he will wind up with a horrible rash. So we rinse well in water, then dry, then sanitize.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
10-26-2009, 02:51 AM
tell me about it. dd1 got a terrible rash on her forearms when I was in the hospital with dd2. the automatic soap dispenser with foam was just to cool to refuse. And sure enough she washed with it so frequently that she reacted to it. Dry,itchy skin. Red bumpy rash the who 9 yards.

I personally find the soaps kind of harsh myself and usually carry around trial size moisturized soaps.