PDA

View Full Version : SO I need a playsilks "commercial"

Melaine
10-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Or something like that. I want to host a playsilk dyeing party for some friends between now and Christmas. I'm just going to shoot out an email to see if anyone is interested but I would be shocked if any of my friends have ever heard of them. Any links that easily show what they are and why they are so great? I just think they might sound crazy if I don't explain it right. I actually looked to see if there was a youtube video of kids playing with them but the only one I saw was Sarah's Silks and it was mostly just the costumes not the regular silks.

mom2224
10-25-2009, 04:13 PM
There are a few videos on Youtube that you could link in your email.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=playsilks&search_type=&aq=f

Edited to ask if you have already seen those? I'll keep looking around the internet...

ourbabygirl
10-25-2009, 04:28 PM
So cute! Thanks for the link!
Melaine, how are you thinking of setting up your play silk party? I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but not sure how to handle costs of the silks (have them r.s.v.p. & say how many they'd like to make, order some plain ones, then have them write me a check the day of the party?)...I don't want to seem cheap, but also don't have the money to host a party and give away the silks for free :)! Are you having the ladies come with their kids, or doing more of a mom's night out thing where they leave the kids at home and come after bedtime? Maybe I'll do that- it would be less chaotic ;).

Melaine
10-25-2009, 05:34 PM
So cute! Thanks for the link!
Melaine, how are you thinking of setting up your play silk party? I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but not sure how to handle costs of the silks (have them r.s.v.p. & say how many they'd like to make, order some plain ones, then have them write me a check the day of the party?)...I don't want to seem cheap, but also don't have the money to host a party and give away the silks for free :)! Are you having the ladies come with their kids, or doing more of a mom's night out thing where they leave the kids at home and come after bedtime? Maybe I'll do that- it would be less chaotic ;).

Well, I haven't totally planned it or anything. What I think I will do is send an email explaining it (may use some of those youtube videos) and then a price per silk. Dharma Trading really seems more $$$ than I remember last time I checked. I'm thinking it may be nearly $5 each if we split the costs of dyes/Koolaid plus vinegar plus the silks. I will definitely collect the money before I place my order, because I can't afford to provide them for everyone. I will be doing it at night for just the mamas and make some snacks and stuff. I don't think it will take that long to do the actual dyeing so I hope there would be plenty of time for chatting and snacking. I know it would be stressful with the toddlers trying to help!
*sigh* The problem is most of my friends really aren't very crafty or waldorf-y so I may not get much interest. But keep us updated about your party as well and we can share ideas!

DietCokeLover
10-25-2009, 06:16 PM
I want to come!!! LOL What a fun idea.:bighand:

Melaine
10-25-2009, 06:18 PM
I want to come!!! LOL What a fun idea.:bighand:

Name your date and I will plan it around your visit. Really. Or I will do it again next time you come!

vonfirmath
10-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah, Dharma's got a message that their prices had to go up. At $5/silk I decided I wasn't going to hassle myself but buy from A Toy Garden.

neeleymartin
10-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Well, I haven't totally planned it or anything. What I think I will do is send an email explaining it (may use some of those youtube videos) and then a price per silk. Dharma Trading really seems more $$$ than I remember last time I checked. I'm thinking it may be nearly $5 each if we split the costs of dyes/Koolaid plus vinegar plus the silks. I will definitely collect the money before I place my order, because I can't afford to provide them for everyone. I will be doing it at night for just the mamas and make some snacks and stuff. I don't think it will take that long to do the actual dyeing so I hope there would be plenty of time for chatting and snacking. I know it would be stressful with the toddlers trying to help!
*sigh* The problem is most of my friends really aren't very crafty or waldorf-y so I may not get much interest. But keep us updated about your party as well and we can share ideas!

i AM doing this.

what kind of silk do you order? there are so many choices on dharma. i am lost. tia

ourbabygirl
10-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Is there something like a 35 x 35?

Melaine
10-26-2009, 07:31 AM
i AM doing this.

what kind of silk do you order? there are so many choices on dharma. i am lost. tia

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1741-AA.shtml?lnav=scarves_silk.html

These are the ones, I believe. I guess I will get the 35 x 35, although it's tempting to go one smaller for the savings $. I also may get some 21.5 x 21.5 and want to get some handkerchiefs too ($5.95 for 12): http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3689-AA.shtml?lnav=scarves.html

egoldber
10-26-2009, 07:38 AM
I think having a variety of sizes is nice. I think our largest are 35x35. Maybe I have a couple 44x44. Most of them are smaller though, probably 30x30.

My kids also love the long rectangular ones (6x24 and 8x54) for sashes and "leashes".

Melaine
10-26-2009, 07:41 AM
I think having a variety of sizes is nice. I think our largest are 35x35. Maybe I have a couple 44x44. Most of them are smaller though, probably 30x30.

My kids also love the long rectangular ones (6x24 and 8x54) for sashes and "leashes".

Thanks Beth....I didn't think of leashes. Need some of that size too then!

vonfirmath
10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
35x35 is the "standard" size you find for sale must places. I've heard the 11x11 are not used as often. And larger than 35x35 is often used for "forts" and such.

No idea about the other sizes.

Seitvonzu
10-26-2009, 10:26 AM
wow. this looks like fun :) i hadn't been on the dharma site in a while, and i'm amazed at all my choices! we love silks here-- have 12 of the "normal" size and then a rainbow set of minis (11x11) from atoygarden.com.

now i want to have a dying party! remind me where the instructions are? anyone have GOOD instructions...like they can guarantee success. i'd hate to have people come over and it doesn't work out. :)

FUNFUNFUN :) i love this board.

MamaMolly
10-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Oooooh! A Playsilks party! What a super duper fun idea! I have a link to the directions somewhere....maybe someone posted on here with photos? I don't remember. Off to search.

Thanks OP for such a great idea for a fun Mama party. :kisscheek:

eta: this isn't the one I was thinking of but I love how dark her silks are! http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/play-silks.html

Seitvonzu
10-26-2009, 11:19 AM
wow! molly- her's ARE beautiful....but 3 packages of koolaid for one scarf? that seems like a lot to me. i better start watching koolaid sales :) we'd need it in bulk :):) i remember from dying yarn that good colors can be hard to find, so i'll have to check multiple stores... fun stuff,makes me want my car back from the shop YESTERDAY (well, everything makes me want that..it's been over a month :( BOO!:(

Melaine
10-26-2009, 11:33 AM
eta: this isn't the one I was thinking of but I love how dark her silks are! http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/play-silks.html

That is one of the ones I was looking at! I like her little intro, too. It's a pretty good commercial actually.

Melaine
10-26-2009, 11:36 AM
wow. this looks like fun :) i hadn't been on the dharma site in a while, and i'm amazed at all my choices! we love silks here-- have 12 of the "normal" size and then a rainbow set of minis (11x11) from atoygarden.com.

now i want to have a dying party! remind me where the instructions are? anyone have GOOD instructions...like they can guarantee success. i'd hate to have people come over and it doesn't work out. :)

FUNFUNFUN :) i love this board.

So would you recomment the mini sizes or not so much? I saw this:
http://kirstencan.typepad.com/kirstencan/2008/02/playsilks.html
They look so cute. I also heard kids sometimes put them in bowls or pots to stir around for rainbow soup, which sounded fun.

ETA: OOOPS this was the link I meant about "pocket playsilks" http://kirstencan.typepad.com/kirstencan/2008/09/pocket-playsilks.html

Melaine
10-26-2009, 11:45 AM
So here is my pre-invitation to see if any of my friends are interested:

"I have been interested in getting some playsilks for my girls for awhile. If you haven’t heard of them, they are colored pieces of silk for children to use as costumes, as tents, as grass or oceans on the floor, doll blankets, etc. They are really lightweight and “flowy” so the smaller ones can be used for learning to juggle (the “lag” gives you a better chance!) and babies and kids love the soft feel.
If you want to see playsilks online: http://www.sarahssilks.com/
They are traditional “waldorf” style toys which I really admire in theory although our home is far from it. But I know my girls love silky stuff and are getting into dress up more so I think these would be a hit for them. I found a good deal on them, but I thought it might be fun to dye my own.
I have found some tutorials online on dyeing them all different colors using Koolaid and you can buy the white silks here:
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1741-AA.shtml?lnav=scarves_silk.html
Sarah’s Silks run about $10-$12 each and I believe we can dye them for about $5 each (less for smaller sizes).

Here is one of the tutorials if you are interested: http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/play-silks.html

There are also a couple of youtube videos too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzx9SiGMdSU

Anyway, all that to say I just wanted to throw it out there if anyone else is interested I’d like to host a “dyeing party” some evening between now and Christmas. Please let me know if you are interested within the next week. If you are, we can put together an order and figure out how long it will take to arrive and then set a date to get together. If you want to come for the party but think playsilks are weird that would be fine too! ;-) I’ll just make you hold up the wet ones while they dry using your arms as hangers.
And if no one wants to do it I may just get lazy and order them already made, no big deal."

vonfirmath
10-26-2009, 12:26 PM
After looking here there and everywhere *and at least one blog that does seem to think the pocket play silks are worth it* And the dying looks fun.

I'm starting to think I'll purchase the big ones already dyed (the basic ones should start with the basic colors, correct?) And then get some pocket handkerchiefs to practice dying on!

Seitvonzu
10-26-2009, 01:44 PM
i would totally come to the playsilk party -- totally. i'd have a hard time reigning in my order, and we already have quite a few.

and after going to waldorf school a couple times with a friend (just this last week and when lucy was 5 months old)-- i'd say that handdying is worth it. the process of making something for your child and also the uneveness of the handdying- the cool variations... i think that makes it worth doing even if you have some of the "store bought" variety (which we do.)

as for the pockets- the ones we got from toy garden came in a pouch. so far, the pouch itself is the bigger hit than the silks. but i can see lu getting more into the hankies as she gets older, especially as her doll playing gets more sophisticated. i never heard of the "rainbow soup" idea-- that's a great one i might encourage...we love kitchen play! :) nana and papa are giving lucy her birthday/christmas gift at the end of november when they'll be in town-- an elves and angels range/sink and fridge. maybe some silks will find there way into pots at that time :):):)

MamaMolly
10-26-2009, 03:43 PM
OP, the only thing I think you need to clarify on your invite is that this is for an *adult* dying party. If I got your invite I'd plan to bring DD. I think you could say something like 'let's keep this first attempt a mom-only party, and once we've worked out the kinks we can have a mommy and me silk dyeing party.'

I'm sure someone else could word it better, please offer suggestions!

Melaine
10-26-2009, 04:18 PM
OP, the only thing I think you need to clarify on your invite is that this is for an *adult* dying party. If I got your invite I'd plan to bring DD. I think you could say something like 'let's keep this first attempt a mom-only party, and once we've worked out the kinks we can have a mommy and me silk dyeing party.'

I'm sure someone else could word it better, please offer suggestions!

Good point. I will be more specific in the follow-up, assuming I get responses. Sent the email last night and no responses yet.

lovebeingamom
10-27-2009, 02:25 PM
I would so totally come if I were invited (and in the area). I already have 6 35x35 plain white play silks on my dining room table ready to go .... along with colored kool-aid. So exciting.

I read your link on how to dye play silks with kool-aid ... and that is NOT the way I read on another tutorial .... do you think it matters????? I am sure there are plenty of different ways to do it .... however, I would like to know that when I do it - whichever way I choose - will not ruin my play silks.

EDITED FOR ADDITION OF LINK BELOW.

OK ... so here is the link to the tutorial I plan on using for dying play silks. It states that vinegar does NOT need to be used with kool-aid because kool-aid has enough acid on it's own - we shall see.

http://raisingolives.com/2009/05/make-your-own-playsilks/

vonfirmath
10-27-2009, 03:22 PM
I've heard that the vinegar is not necessary. And others say they use it anyway, just in case.

Melaine
10-27-2009, 03:25 PM
It seems like maybe vinegar is not necessary, but will still help it hold up better in the wash with less fading. There do seem to be a lot of different methods though....would like to know the most reliable way also!

Melaine
10-28-2009, 07:03 PM
I think my playsilks party is going to be a big bust. Only one person has responded so far and she said "no".

ourbabygirl
10-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Awww... maybe people are strapped already with buying holiday gifts and don't have time or money for something they might consider "frivolous" like kids' toys. Do you have a different group you could invite, or could you do a set for your own girls and use them at your next play date (that you host), and if someone asks about them, just casually say that you made them and that you're planning a party in the spring or summer if they're interested in coming and making their own? :)
Don't take it personally- I did a mommies afternoon get-together before DD was born, to try to learn from other new moms and share tips, etc. Invited about 15 people, and only 3 or 4 came, but we still had a good time. I also didn't get any takers on a Bachelor-watching party, but I'm going to try again :tongue5:!

Seitvonzu
10-28-2009, 10:46 PM
oh man... your friends just don't "get it" eh? that's a bummer :( i think people are busy these days too...it's hard to get anyone to commit to anything, and add in that it's a pre-holiday thing and that they have to get you money ...urgh. still, i think it's a totally cool gathering and i'd be there in a heartbeat! i'd be at the "mommy wisdom" gathering pp mentioned too. esp if these things were sans-kids and in the evening with snacks :) that sounds like my kind of recharge!

*sigh* i hope some other people are just slow responders but like the idea. keep us posted! even if it's just one other mom it might be fun to do the activity together. i have a friend that ordered some wool felt/batting and we planned to make waldorf toys...we still haven't had a chance and it's been over a year :) our girls are still little though- so maybe someday :) we laugh about it from time to time "maybe we should make our toys... " :)

vonfirmath
10-28-2009, 11:40 PM
And with the fears of H1N1, I think that is also causing people to want to be indoors.

m448
10-28-2009, 11:46 PM
I hate to be a downer but in my experience the koolaid method washes out in the first or second wash (even with vinegar). The ones that last and are bright are made with procion dyes.

Sorry that you're not getting a great response. A friend of mine hosted one a while back that involved the kids and it was super messy but pretty fun.

vonfirmath
10-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Were those playsilks, m448? Cause several of these folk with the instructions have said things like surprisingly, they have survived being washed. Etc.

m448
10-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Were those playsilks, m448? Cause several of these folk with the instructions have said things like surprisingly, they have survived being washed. Etc.

Yes, my friend bought them through Dharma Trading. However if Melaine is doing them with adults only then it's pretty easy to use procion dyes. And you won't have to buy through Dharma Trading as I've seen the Jaquard dyes locally at AC Moore.

Melaine
10-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Well, I got three replies saying "yes" and at least one person HAD heard of playsilks and is very excited! So the two of us will spread the enthusiasm to the rest of the group and hopefully we will have a fun time!

Seitvonzu
10-31-2009, 11:54 AM
yay! great update.
that seems like a completely managable group too :) have a blast :)

lovebeingamom
11-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Melaine - Will you please post your results (and which method you used) with dyeing the playsilks? I would be very interested to know how everything turned out, especially before I dye ours. :)

Melaine
11-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Melaine - Will you please post your results (and which method you used) with dyeing the playsilks? I would be very interested to know how everything turned out, especially before I dye ours. :)

Absolutely. We haven't even placed the order yet, so it may take awhile.

MamaMolly
11-06-2009, 11:04 AM
I just wanted to send you a big fat THANK YOU for this great idea. I placed an order for silks last night, and am really looking forward to doing the project with DD. I feel like I need to do it once to get the feel of it, then I will host a party.

I also think that the moms who know about Playsilks will be over the moon to get an invite, and the ones who don't come are going to be eating their hearts out once they realize what a fun opportunity (and great toy!) they missed. I see your SECOND party being huge! :)

FWIW I'm going to go with the Kool Aid, and I'll post how it goes. I plan on doing this around Thanksgiving.

shawnandangel
11-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I wanted to thank you too Melaine! I'm going to place an order and make some for my nieces for Christmas. I'm super excited!

lovebeingamom
11-06-2009, 03:47 PM
I just wanted to send you a big fat THANK YOU for this great idea. I placed an order for silks last night, and am really looking forward to doing the project with DD. I feel like I need to do it once to get the feel of it, then I will host a party.

I also think that the moms who know about Playsilks will be over the moon to get an invite, and the ones who don't come are going to be eating their hearts out once they realize what a fun opportunity (and great toy!) they missed. I see your SECOND party being huge! :)

FWIW I'm going to go with the Kool Aid, and I'll post how it goes. I plan on doing this around Thanksgiving.

I would love to hear the feedback from anyone who is dyeing their own and the method they used.

As I mentioned before, I have read soooooo many tutorials on how to dye them using kool-aid. They all vary ... .... some use vinegar, some do not; others only use 1 kool-aid packet per 35x35 playsilk, while others use 3 kool-aid packets per 1 35x35 playsilk. I guess it will just be trail and error, right?!?!?

annasmom
11-06-2009, 04:09 PM
I dyed my own silks a few years ago. I wish I still had the "recipe" I used, it was on my old computer. I used the Wilton food coloring, and I think it was pretty straight forward if I remember correctly. I am pretty sure you really need to use the vinegar with the Wilton dyes.

Iirc, you dissolve the food coloring in hot water on the stove top, add some vinegar, add the silks, let it sit until it looks the shade you want.

I had bought a rainbow of silks previously, and only dyed 3-4 building silks. They are all in great shape, and gets used a ton.

We constantly have kids over the house, and they are used as super hero capes, dresses, head scarves, forts, etc.

Good luck!

lovebeingamom
11-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Is this how you did it using Wilton????

http://www.ehow.com/how_5149352_dye-playsilks-wilton-icing-colors.html

vonfirmath
11-06-2009, 06:55 PM
How would you give a playsilk as a gift to another child? would you print out how its supposed to be used?

I know she's getting a baby doll and so would like to highlight the "doll sling" potential

Snow mom
11-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Is there a downside to using the Wilton dyes?

kayte
11-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Is there a downside to using the Wilton dyes?

Mine dyed with Wilton dyes two years ago are still going strong.

annasmom
11-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Is this how you did it using Wilton????

That sounds about right. I think you will find that it is more trial and error - the silks take some colors easier than others. So, it isn't an exact science.

I did mine at least 2 years ago, maybe 3, and they still look great. I see absolutely no downside to using the Wilton dyes. And, the good thing about the Wilton dyes is that you can buy an individual color, or a box of colors. I think I bought a box of eight colors for about $10 at Michaels.

Seitvonzu
11-06-2009, 10:28 PM
eileen-- what size did you use for "building" silks? we also have a rainbow (plus) of the 35x35 size... and the 11x11s... i'm looking for the most useful "off" sizes :)?

lovebeingamom
11-13-2009, 04:30 PM
OK ladies ..... I tried it!!!

I used the Wilton Dye approach (see attached link below) and it worked beautifully :thumbsup:.

DD chose purple as the first color to try .... it turned out blue. That's okay though ... we wanted blue anyway :).

Here is a picture of it drying over the shower. Now off to dye another one .... I think we are trying *red* this time.

OK .... *red* done ..... turned out to be a copper-brown color. It is a beautiful color - just not red, or even pink. I am a little disappointed about this one.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the color situation I am having??????