PDA

View Full Version : Bed Lounger for night-time nursing

Krisrich
10-25-2009, 08:15 PM
I was browsing a Frontage catalog this evening and came across this: http://www.frontgate.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=24379&fromNewSearch=true&mercadoResultId=0&nrpAltSearch=false&altText=null
Basically, it's an upright pillow with arms (also massage, night-light and storage pockets.) I think it might make my life easier with DD2, due in January. I had difficulty getting comfortable nursing DD1 at night in bed- I could never get the pillows just right and I have a bad back. Am I crazy? Has anyone used anything similar for nursing? Any cheaper alternatives?

hellbennt
10-25-2009, 09:06 PM
I actually did buy this (if not this, something very similar- no massage or light features but pockets!)
for nursing ds2!
It helped me sit up-right to nurse in the beginning and it was great
for pumping and watching TV, lol
I actually slept w/ it too, in the beginning-
when my milk was coming in those first few nights I slept propped up w/ a heating pad on my boobs!
I still had to use pillows w/ it to prop myself up to get cozy...

another thing I liked using for ds2 was a nursing nest pillow- It really helped me nurse lying down almost from
the get-go...it's a very short-lived item...I bought one used from thebabywearer.com

Katigre
10-25-2009, 09:14 PM
That does look like it would be nice for nursing b/c of the arm rests.

If it works for you, nursing laying down is also a life-saver in those early weeks (and later weeks and months too...). It seems like my mom friends who are well-endowed have trouble nursing laying down b/c of the size of their breast vs. a newborn's head, but my friends who are smaller chested (D and below) had an easier time making this work from the beginning.

citymama
10-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Great idea - let me know if you find anything cheaper! I definitely don't need lights and massage, but a basic upright pillow with arms is great for nursing (or reading) in bed.

becca_g
10-26-2009, 05:09 AM
I'm considering buying this Bed Rest Pillow (http://www.target.com/Bed-Rest-Pillow-Tan/dp/B000M8GZHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&frombrowse=0&node=1038576&keywords=bed%20rest%20pillow&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=30&id=Bed%20Rest%20Pillow%20Tan&field_availability=-2&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Cta rget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=relevancerank&searchPage=1&field_keywords=bed%20rest%20pillow) from Target for the same purpose. Haven't seen it live yet so can't give any feedback.

citymama
10-26-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm considering buying this Bed Rest Pillow (http://www.target.com/Bed-Rest-Pillow-Tan/dp/B000M8GZHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&frombrowse=0&node=1038576&keywords=bed%20rest%20pillow&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=30&id=Bed%20Rest%20Pillow%20Tan&field_availability=-2&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Cta rget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=relevancerank&searchPage=1&field_keywords=bed%20rest%20pillow) from Target for the same purpose. Haven't seen it live yet so can't give any feedback.

That's more like my budget! Thanks!

ThreeofUs
10-26-2009, 03:37 PM
I have it and would definitely not buy it for nursing at night. It's too hard (and, frankly, uncomfortable) for me. Something like it, though, would be great. I propped myself up with pillows, and folded pillows under my arms to ensure I was stable and not hurting the c-section, kwim? It would have been nice to have what we used to call a "husband"; or a pillow to keep me upright with arms on both sides.

Like this, maybe:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M8GZHW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000P9TSQ8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=175E68ME1KKN4C3P6DX8

happymom
10-26-2009, 06:44 PM
NAK

I have a "husband" pillow from my pre-baby years. I always used it for reading in bed, and now I use it whenever I nurse sitting up in bed (I nurse lying down very often too). I have an inexpensive one from Bed Bath and Beyond and it def does the trick. One thing to keep in mind is thatu'll prob be throwing it on the floor when you go to sleep. That might be hard to do with a fancy one that has lights and massage....

lks
11-03-2009, 10:56 AM

I have the Bed Rest Pillow from target and it's great! I will be a first time mom in a few weeks, so I haven't used it to nurse a baby, but I love it for sitting upright in bed. It keeps my back from hurting and it's super soft comfy!