PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone *not* avoiding H1N1?

LarsMal
10-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Not that you (and your DC) are *trying* to get it, but not really doing anything to avoid it?

DH and I were talking about it last night and he made the comment that he "kind of wishes the kids would just get it". He thinks it would be better if they got it so that they'd have some antibodies or immunity built up in case it continues or gets worse in the future. He pointed out the older people who are not high risk because of the antibodies they built up decades ago when there was something similar.

I've been on the fence about getting the vax or not, but for VAX reasons- not because I can't decide if I WANT my kids to get sick or not! I'm still planning on getting the vax (for now), but I thought he had a valid point. I'm certainly not going to go run out to any H1N1 parties, but I haven't really changed our routine much to avoid it either. We wash hands or use Purell when needed, and I don't plan on hitting the germ pit anytime soon. I usually avoid those during cold/flu season anyway.

I'm posting this here in case any of you can tell me getting it (H1N1)/not getting it really won't impact antibodies/immunity OR if any of you are on the same page with him! Or...if you think he's absolutely crazy for thinking that (I'll take that opinion, too!).

infomama
10-25-2009, 09:24 PM
We are what we can to avoid getting the flu however my Ped did mention that some are taking to the idea (exposing Dc on purpose) and likened it to pox parties.

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm of your dh's thinking. The boys will get the seasonal flu shot but I don't currently plan to do the H1N1. We haven't changed any of our habits either- still go to the same places, wash hands when warranted but really don't go out of our way to avoid getting sick.

Beth

Cam&Clay
10-25-2009, 09:25 PM
I know how you feel. DS1 had it last week, and I feel like I'm just sitting here waiting for the other shoe to drop. I teach in a school that had almost 100 students absent on Friday. DS2 is in daycare with 2 kids who were sick with it last week. I just want us all to get it and get it over with. I feel like it's inevitable, so let's get it done before the holidays, ok?

Although, since my DH is only here on weekends, it would be nice if DS2 and I did NOT have it at the same time. That would be a nightmare. He's a full-time job even when he's not sick.

bubbaray
10-25-2009, 09:26 PM
I wanted them to get it in the summer and would have taken them to an H1N1 party then. Now, not so much. The cold and rain are upon us and colds/flus hit us (me in particular) hard now. I'm super sick right now (again) and while its unlikely H1N1, I just have the feeling like I'll be sick constantly this winter. :(

Melaine
10-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Not that you (and your DC) are *trying* to get it, but not really doing anything to avoid it?

DH and I were talking about it last night and he made the comment that he "kind of wishes the kids would just get it". He thinks it would be better if they got it so that they'd have some antibodies or immunity built up in case it continues or gets worse in the future. He pointed out the older people who are not high risk because of the antibodies they built up decades ago when there was something similar.

I've been on the fence about getting the vax or not, but for VAX reasons- not because I can't decide if I WANT my kids to get sick or not! I'm still planning on getting the vax (for now), but I thought he had a valid point. I'm certainly not going to go run out to any H1N1 parties, but I haven't really changed our routine much to avoid it either.

We are pretty much in the same boat. I remember thinking in the summer when people got it that I would be relieved if we had gotten it. We aren't doing the vax (at this point in time). We are being a little more stringent on the Purell while we are out and have made it a habit to wash hands immediately upon getting home. Really, nothing particularly different than any other flu season though.

billysmommy
10-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Thinking the same here.

We're still undecided on the vax but have no idea when it will even be available. I'm actually kind of surprised we haven't had it yet as DH and I have had quite a few people come through the office with it over the past couple months.

And other than being a little more diligent about hand-washing and using hand sanitizer (which we never used before) we're not changing our routines at all. We've actually added a few more activities for the boys.

But none of us are in high risk categories and we all tend to bounce back quickly from illnesses. Otherwise our view would probably be a little different

shawnandangel
10-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Well, we have a different situation with FIL going through chemo and radiation, and possibly needing a blood transfusion to up his white count.

We are desperately searching for the vax, but nobody has it. We found out the health dept. had some but by the time we knew about it they were gone. For the whole freaking city of Nashville our health dept only got 2500 doses.

LarsMal
10-25-2009, 09:42 PM
But none of us are in high risk categories and we all tend to bounce back quickly from illnesses. Otherwise our view would probably be a little different

The only one I'm worried about is the baby. She'll be 6 months this week so I still consider her in the high risk category for babies under 6 months. That's my main concern, but I guess I'll just keep doing what we're doing and deal with the vax decision when/if it becomes available to us. I've decided I'm not chasing it down. I will be getting her the regular flu vax.

Making decisions as a parent can be so hard sometimes!

Fairy
10-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Honestly, Julie, I'm on the fence, too. I want DS to get the vax, but it's not available here yet, and the flu shot wasn't available at his checkup (he had 3 other shots, anyway, so that's fine). It is going to be such a nightmare getting him back to the doc to get his two flu shots that I'm not sure it can be done. The way I see it is that I don't want him to get H1N1, but we're already doing the very best we can. So, we're not doing anything different than we did before. We wash hands when we enter daycare, every tiem we go to the bathroom, I carry purell 24/7. And that's pretty much what we've been doing since DS was born 5 years ago -- other than the washing hands when enterign daycare, as taht's a new policy this year. I really hope none of us get it, but I'm kind of resigned to the fact that we probably will. I got my flu shot, when H1N1 comes out, I'll get it, but if we get the flu before that happens, so be it.

tmarie
10-25-2009, 09:56 PM
I WAS thinking the same thing--not that we would go out of our way to get exposed, but that we would skip the h1n1 vax. Now that I have been home in bed all weekend, I tend to feel differently. DD had a suspected case last week. Thankfully, she is doing well now. I on the other hand, just spent the last two days in bed...like I literally didn't have the energy to get out of bed. My head was pounding and my body ached. This is the first time in days I've had energy to look at a computer screen. I felt too sick to walk never mind take care of my family. Thank goodness it was the weekend and dh was around to help. Anyway....I now think we will be getting whatever flu vaccines become available to us. That said, I understand the line of thought that it might be worth just getting it and building up the immune system. Most of the cases I've heard of haven't been that extreme.

tmarie

vludmilla
10-25-2009, 09:57 PM
I am thinking like your husband too. No flu shots for us here (except DH who got the seasonal flu shot on his own at work). I would consider the H1N1 flu shot under some circumstances but for now, I don't intend to get it.

kayte
10-25-2009, 10:00 PM
This had been a big conversation in our house. FIL is an immunologist and is of the mind that natural immunity often offers something better than a vax (even though he has worked on vax and antibiotic development). We were never going to vax for H1N1.

Then DD got diagnosed last week. I am quite certain I will get sick, for two straight nights DD slept on me, breathing heavy, coughing and sneezing in my face. I wasn't avoiding it to begin with, but there is really no way to tell a 3yo they can't curl up and sleep on their mama when they feel like crap.

DH has been avoiding the two of us because this week is his last at a client and he starts a new job on the 2nd. Otherwise he would rather be sick too.

I am honestly relieved that DD has gotten it... and hope that the next week is complication free (secondary infection).

The future of H1N1 is what bothers me, especially after talks with FIL.

(I also feel that as a population, we are better off if many get it mildly now, the mutations are likely to spread less in the future)

LD92599
10-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Turns out DS could have gotten the seasonal flu shot on Friday at the ped's but he was there for a cold, etc so no-go. Maybe this week?

Neither DH nor myself have gotten the shots but i'm tempted to this year since i stop to see my mom daily at a short-term/long term facility, hospitals, etc. DS has to accompany me to the surgical waiting area on Election Day for several hours (5+). Hopefully i can get his flu shot before that!

KpbS
10-25-2009, 10:25 PM
I feel like it's inevitable, so let's get it done

This is my take on it. DN had it last weekend--her fever spiked as she traveled here w/ my sister's family for a visit over fall break. My DC were barely recovered following a terrible stomach bug that lasted over a week. I would have taken my chances and let the kids play together if my two had not been dehydrated for days and really low following their illness. Bad timing all around.

I am nervous about my DC getting it during the winter. I feel like they will be more susceptible to pneumonia and other secondary infections during that time.

essnce629
10-25-2009, 10:29 PM
We are non-vaxers so no H1N1 vaccine here. I also believe that it's better to get sick now when it's most likely mild and build up some immunity in case it ever comes back stronger. That's why they're not recommending the H1N1 vaccine to those over 60-- they most likely already have some kind of immunity protecting them. I'm thinking that
DS1 had H1N1 two weeks ago-- he had all the symptoms, but it only lasted 24 hours. None of the rest of us got sick, but I'm sure we were exposed so maybe we've gotten some immunity. We haven't changed anything in our daily life. We still go everywhere we went to before and just wash our hands. We also have a 5 month old in the house and honestly, I haven't worried one bit.

JustMe
10-25-2009, 10:34 PM
I am on the fence about the mist, which is the only thing available to dd right now...no, though, I am not of the mindset that I want her (or me) to just get it now when it is not so bad....I don't understand saying that it is not so bad now...there have been lots (I dont know the numbers, so lots will have to do) of cases of kids dying or being on respirators for a significant amount of time...I know lots more have gotten the milder form you talk about, but many parents have lost children or had their life in such a scary place while their child was on a respirator for weeks. I am not judging anyone else's decision.

FWIW, my friend's advice nurse said that we don't know if you are immune to it once you have it...so, according to this nurse, if you get it that doesnt mean you won't get it again...I dont' know if there is any truth to is, but that is what she was told when she called to ask if her son, who most likely had H1N1, should get the vax...I also can see that they may just being way overly cautious by saying this...

kayte
10-25-2009, 10:43 PM
FWIW, my friend's advice nurse said that we don't know if you are immune to it once you have it...so, according to this nurse, if you get it that doesnt mean you won't get it again...I dont' know if there is any truth to is, but that is what she was told when she called to ask if her son, who most likely had H1N1, should get the vax...I also can see that they may just being way overly cautious by saying this...

The current CDC stance is to vaccinate even with a likely case unless it was typed (which now usually takes a hospital stay). The reasoning being getting as much of the population immune and not miss persons who in fact had something else. It will not hurt to be vaccinated if you already have had it.

I imagine most medical professionals will be reiterating vaccinate anyway to patients.

MontrealMum
10-25-2009, 10:53 PM
They have only just OKed the H1N1 vax in Canada. It was on the news a few nights ago. I hvae yet to make my way through the French-only booklet that we received thru the door on Fri, but I imagine it's all about free clinics and first-come first-served line-ups. DS' annual checkup, as well as mine (we have the same doc) is this upcoming week so I will discuss it with the doc. We will not do the regular flu shot, but I have not yet decided about H1N1. FIL is basically living at the hospital still because he still needs to receive so many meds, and has been there since mid-July, so this is a consideration. He cannot receive either regular flu or H1N1 as he is allergic to eggs.

The last time I asked about shots for DS in our GP's office, rather than the CLSC, I was stonewalled by his doc. He has a new one now and she's MUCH better :) They do give shots to adults on Wed. when they have a nurse in specially to do blood draws and shots. So, if we do decide to get it, there is a possibility of reserving a shot rather then doing a non-appointment clinic thing like they usually do with the seasonal flu shots here. Hearing Angelina's story is not reassuring at all!

Julie, I don't think I answered your question at all - sorry! I'm hoping we had it this summer, but since DS is in daycare and FIL's health is precarious, we are considering doing the shot. But we haven't made up our minds yet. Having had full-blown influenza twice now myself, I am not considering taking my chances w/ a H1N1 party. There is no way to know how severe the illness might be, and there is no way that I would be able to take care of DS if I was as sick as I've been w/ the regular influenza. I also doubt DH could continue to go to work, or if they'd want him there. He has 5 remaining sick days.

kijip
10-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Well, it's most likely a moot point for us as we have all had, at different times this year, the flu (T, and me and J in the summer and F in October). Still our life is disrupted and miserable by getting things like the flu and I really don't wish for it. Also, we are able to stay home when we get sick, many are not, I would be avoiding this like crazy if I had no sick leave and needed the pay or would lose my job for missing 5-7 days. That said, I am glad we all presumbably built up some protection. I am certain that whatever we all had was the same because the second time around, only F got sick with the flu and he was the only one that did not catch it in the summer. I had a cold which was similar symptoms but came and went fast and was not as bad as the flu.

My husband got the vaccine already at work, it's not optional at his hospital. And the boys are getting vaccinated this week and I will get it when doses are available for healthy, non-pregnant women who don't work in healthcare.

ha98ed14
10-25-2009, 11:02 PM
I got DD the H1N1 Flu Mist, so I am hoping it works and she doesn't get it. I am also trying to avoid other illnesses, but with daycare, it is somewhat inevitable. I understand why people are afraid of the vax. I did it with a lot of trepidation, but ultimately I was more afraid of the virus than the vax.

Even if I had chosen not to get the vax, I don't think I would go seeking it out. That does sound a but nutty to me, but only because this things seems so unpredictable. It's true that most people get it, it's manageable and they get better and life goes on. But for a few random, normally healthy individuals, they are dead in the space of a week and no one knows why. The "underlying health conditions" that usually make you vulnerable don't seem to be much of a risk factor. If I could have gotten the vax for myself, I would have.

MMEand1
10-26-2009, 12:52 AM
It's the "underlying health problems" that scares me most about the H1N1. I work at a hospital and have had several patients come that were on contact precautions for it. My DS was in the hospital last year for almost 10 days with kidney failure and that is my main concern. He had a fever this past week for three days, but no other symptoms, so I'm not sure what that was about. He is doing fine now and back to him normal little self. Hopefully it will not affect him too terribly.

We are not expecting to have the H1N1 vac even available to us here until late Oct to early Nov for hospital workers and then December for family members.

MommyAllison
10-26-2009, 12:58 AM
FWIW, my friend's advice nurse said that we don't know if you are immune to it once you have it...so, according to this nurse, if you get it that doesnt mean you won't get it again...I dont' know if there is any truth to is, but that is what she was told .

That confuses me. Is there any virus that you are not immune to after being sick with it? I can't think of one. And if having the virus doesn't create some level of immunity, how would a vaccine even work for that virus?

To answer the OP, I think my kids have already had h1n1. We are not out looking for it, and I am being very slightly more careful (ie I'm leaving the kids at home with DH while I run errands to reduce their exposure - but really it's more for my sanity! Running errands with them is madness). We are not getting the vaccine.

gatorsmom
10-26-2009, 01:00 AM
I was thinking like your DH last week when the boys had some of the symptoms but they seemed to be doing a little too well for H1N1. I thought that if this is a weaker strain the boys are experiencing, then I"m going to make sure I catch it as well as the twins. Well, the tests came back negative for any flu so apparently they just had some random non-flu virus.

However, I was only willing to do our family's own H1N1 party because of the mildness of the boys' symptoms. Now that I know they didn't have it, I"m really trying to keep them from catching it. I'm simply afraid that if they get it, they will get a severe strain. And although I do worry about the boys, it's the twins I'm most worried about. They are so tiny with very little meat on them. I'd hate to see them suffer from a severe form of it. I plan to get them all vaxed as soon as it's available here.

I know I'd worry a lot less if the boys were 10yo or older. Well, maybe I'd worry less. :wink2:

caheinz
10-26-2009, 01:05 AM
That's risky thinking.

This is a mutated flu virus. It jumped from one species (pigs) to another (humans). It might (or might not) have a higher-than-usual rate of mutation. And the more people who actually get it, the more likely it is that it will mutate again (simply because the more people who get it, the higher the total number of flu virus particles produced). And one fear in the public health community is that it will mutate into a nastier (deadlier) form of the flu...

Chicken pox is relatively stable -- it is not constantly mutating into new strains (as evidenced by only being able to "get it" once). Flu isn't, which is why there's a new seasonal flu shot every year, and why you can get the flu many times, each time with a new strain.

traciann
10-26-2009, 02:05 AM
My dh had H1N1. He is a teacher and many of his students have had it as well. I will say it was pretty bad for him. He hasn't felt that sick in a long time, and was down for 3 days in bed barely moving. He took another 2 days to recover and he still wasn't 100% then. I believe my dd1 also got it based on her symptoms, but they were not as extreme as his. DD2 and I did not get sick.
That being said I am not going to do an H1N1 shot for either dd based on we have been exposed to it already and it is such a new shot. I am not even sure if my ped has any yet.
We do get the flu shot every year because dh is a teacher and is exposed to so many germs and brings it home to us.

egoldber
10-26-2009, 07:20 AM
It's the "underlying health problems" that scares me most about the H1N1.

This is my main concern. Because Sarah has asthma, I plan to get her vaxed. Although I KNOW she has been exposed because Amy tested positive for it and it is rampant in her school right now.

But honestly, we are not going out of our way at all to avoid it. I mean really, what can you do? Sarah has to go to school and Amy has to go to daycare. We can't be hermits for the next 6 months. For MOST people, it is a mild respiratory illness.

Melaine
10-26-2009, 08:01 AM
I am far from the overly active soccer mom, but I don't understand WHAT people mean when they talk about avoiding public places. Do they really mean staying in ALL flu season? Because even the most basic of outings is going to expose us, like the grocery store. I have been cringing at the thought of the library the last couple weeks but no way will we really avoid it. I guess what I am saying is, are there people staying home all the time, really?

MoJo
10-26-2009, 08:15 AM
I don't know what other people are doing, but my mom works at the library, and says LOTS of sick people have been showing up there to get books and videos so they have something to do while they are home sick!

The library may be the next worst place to the doc's office/hospital.

We're living our lives as usual, not pursuing the vax or the illness right now.

The only big thing we are doing (or not doing) is that I was considering trying daycare. I really need to work more hours than what I'm getting by going to work after DH comes home to watch DD. I was advised by a friend and NICU nurse that DD would be sick a lot, and then I still couldn't work. I don't have sick time, so I'd end up losing my job and we'd all be worse off.

So far, there has only been one vax clinic in a 12-county area, and people lined up at 4:30 a.m. to get the vax. Nope, not doing that. If my midwives have the vax and recommend it, I'll get it. If my ped gets the vax and recommends it, I'll probably get it for DD.

Snow mom
10-26-2009, 08:15 AM
That confuses me. Is there any virus that you are not immune to after being sick with it? I can't think of one. And if having the virus doesn't create some level of immunity, how would a vaccine even work for that virus?

To answer the OP, I think my kids have already had h1n1. We are not out looking for it, and I am being very slightly more careful (ie I'm leaving the kids at home with DH while I run errands to reduce their exposure - but really it's more for my sanity! Running errands with them is madness). We are not getting the vaccine.

I went to a nice talk on H1N1 by a scientist who studies flu dynamics (she's working closely with the CDC and funded by NIH if that gives her any rep.) She said that she's spoken to several doctors in town who have sworn that they've had patients with two confirmed cases of H1N1 (once during the summer and once during the fall.) This is really wonky (and she said so) but they insist that they've had two confirmed cases in the same patient. Generally, if you actually get the flu (not just the vax) one season you'll have a general immunity to the different flu strains for a period of time and that's why you don't get the flu more than once a season, although there are many different strains circulating. It's unclear to me whether there is really something strange going on with H1N1 or whether it is even driving otherwise reasonable doctors a bit into panic/not thinking clearly mode.

To answer the OPs question: DD goes to daycare and that's the single biggest exposure she's going to have (I'm convinced even licking the shopping cart handle wouldn't be worse, not that I let her ;)). We aren't actively seeking out flu and when the vax becomes available we will get it (because of the previously mentioned daycare situation) but we also aren't in a panic over it.

kristac
10-26-2009, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't be so worried about it except I am currently 8 months pregnant and then will have a newborn in the house so now is not a great time to get sick. Otherwise the vax scares me more then the flu. (ETA- I wouldn't be going to a flu party though.)

Asianmommy
10-26-2009, 09:01 AM
We just got our nasal mist vax yesterday at the health dept. Otherwise, we're going about our business as usual. We usually try to stay away from sick people, anyway. & wash our hands before each meal, etc. I could never hibernate in our household--too much to do!

doberbrat
10-26-2009, 09:03 AM
we're not looking for a flu party or anything, (unlike CP!) but I'm still out there living my life.

had a big discussion w/dh about it on Sat. Maybe I'm the crazy one being nearly 9mo pg w/asthma, chronic bronchitis and other health issue and a preschooler in the house but I just dont think its the big deal everyone's making it out to be.

maybe I'm a little more careful... we took the hosp tour of hte birthing floors yesterday and I actively avoided touching anything in the hosp and used sanitizer as soon as I got back inot my car but thats it.

mommylamb
10-26-2009, 09:05 AM
I would love to get DS the vax-- if we could find it anywhere-- but so far, we have not been successful.

Other than that, our lives have not changed. Just trying to make sure to be congnisant of washing my hands and using purell as much as possible. Life goes on. Both DH and I have to work, and DS has to go to daycare. We're fortunate that his daycare is pretty small (just 8 kids).

hellokitty
10-26-2009, 09:15 AM
The one I am worried about the most is DS3, since he's only 3 mo old. The good thing is that at least he is BF. DS1 and DS2 are both in school. So, other than promoting good handwashing techniques and healthy nutrition, I feel like there isn't much that we can do to control the situation. Last wk, 100 kids were out sick at my sons' school. I did not know until another friend whose kids go to the same school told me. Sometimes I think that, assuming this is your typical virus, where you are immune once you contract it, I think it would be easier just to get it over with now before winter really hits. Both of my kids were sick toward the end of summer and sometimes I wonder if it was swine flu. They have stopped testing for it in our area, so who knows what is going around. I have had a, "cold" that has lasted for almost 3 wks. I never had a fever, so don't think it was h1n1, BUT I have friends in other parts of the country who had the same symptoms that I have had AND no fever, and their docs dx them with h1n1. So, for all I know, it may have already been through our household and so far, I am the only one who has been sick, everyone else has managed to stay healthy.

caleymama
10-26-2009, 09:57 AM
We have no plans to get the H1N1 or seasonal flu vaxes. DDs are otherwise fully vaxed but have never had a flu shot/mist. DH has not had a flu shot in the time I've known him and I haven't had one as an adult. DH and I and DD1 have had the seasonal flu (one memorable occasion was one week post-partum with DD2! Fun! NOT!) in the past, but none of us have any conditions like asthma to complicate things. I do worry some about secondary infections and the like with H1N1, but no more than I worry about complications from other illnesses. DD1 was hospitalized for 3 days at 2.5 during a GI bug b/c of dehydration and a subsequent UTI. She didn't *walk* for an entire week she was so sick. This from the kid with the energy of a hummingbird.

We are pretty much doing our normal thing, but I *did* amp up our use of hand sanitizer gel and wipes when out and about and am making sure they are washing hands (thoroughly!), eating/sleeping well, getting fresh air and exercise, and taking their vitamins. This is not for H1N1 specifically, but just to keep us healthier in general. Younger DD is a thumb sucker and older DD is a finger sucker and has loose teeth, so it seems like their hands are always in their mouths. I feel like a broken record reminding them to keep their hands away from their faces. I am now keeping a container of Wet Ones anti-bac wipes in the van and when they get back into the car after being out we all wipe our hands good, in addition to the wipes/gel in my bag to use whenever. I also have made sure I have a good supply of Tylenol and Motrin on hand and I picked up a big pack of Oscillococcinum (http://www.oscillo.com/)at CVS the other day.

The past two years DD1 has had a lot of little colds/viruses and a couple of doozies last winter/spring that kept her out of school for a week each time. I actually suspect that one last spring may have been H1N1 based on her symptoms, and it was around here at the time, but no testing was done. DD2 doesn't seem to catch as many things as DD1 but DD2's seem to linger longer and turn into secondary bacterial infections - a cold will end up as an ear and/or sinus infection after a couple of weeks. So far DDs have not missed any school yet this year, which is a record for DD1 (2nd grade).

Fairy
10-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Honestly, these H1N1 threads just make my head hurt with speculation. The fact is that I cannot do any more than I'm already doing short of staying in 24/7. I just have to hope it's enough.

Puddy73
10-26-2009, 11:33 AM
We are definitely trying to avoid it. A 4 year old girl in our town died from complications of HINI, despite the fact that she had no identified underlying health concerns. I realize this is an isolated incident, but it scares me.

ett
10-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Honestly, these H1N1 threads just make my head hurt with speculation. The fact is that I cannot do any more than I'm already doing short of staying in 24/7. I just have to hope it's enough.

:yeahthat: I'm doing what I can but I need to go out and get stuff done. DS1 needs to go to school. DH needs to go to work.

almostmom
10-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Haven't read all the posts, but here's my take:

I never get the seasonal flu vax, because I just don't think it matches up that often with the flu that goes around. Also, with healthy kids, I'm not so worried about extreme effects of the regular flu.

But with H1N1, I just heard the surgeon general speak the other day. And the thing is that kids are actually reacting worse than adults. The number of children that have died from it already this season (meaning this fall I believe) is the same as the number of deaths they usually see over an entire winter. He did say that 2/3 of the people who have died had underlying issues, but that means that 1/3 did not. So if they have a vax that can actually prevent my kids (and me, but mostly the kids) from getting that flu, I'm going to do it.

That said, my FIL has lukemia, so it's even more important for us to get it, and specifically the shot. We are now on a short list at our ped, and hopefully we'll get called when they get some in.

Also, even if my kids (or me) aren't at high risk, if they were to get it, and then be out at the store, around a friend with a baby, or an elderly relative, at a playground, etc., then I am putting these people at more risk.

I am SO not a fear person, and as I said, never get the seasonal vax. But I think H1N1 is a bit more dangerous. Definitely not something I would seek out!

wellyes
10-26-2009, 12:15 PM
We are definitely trying to avoid it. A 4 year old girl in our town died from complications of HINI, despite the fact that she had no identified underlying health concerns. I realize this is an isolated incident, but it scares me.

I've heard a couple stories like this one.

I'll go against the grain here. I know that less than 50% of people intend to get vaxed for H1N1 and that frustrates me so much, because it obviously increases the risk to my child -- who WOULD get vaxed if we could, but she's too young for the mist and the shot isn't available here.