PDA

View Full Version : "wow" gift for 6 year old boy?

nicknack
10-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Sorry if there's a post for 6 year old boy gifts already, can't find it!

I think DD will be getting the Playmobil Suburban house and some furniture for it (along with a few other smaller things) for xmas. She'll come out, it'll all be set up, a very WOW moment! However, sigh, it's harder for me to think of something similar for my son.

I do have that Matchbox Space shuttle thing but that won't even be on his list since he probably won't see it in any catalogs (and I might just have a family member give it to him). He'll definitely get at least one Lego set. Possibly a magician's outfit and magic box thing from Melissa and Doug. It's hard for boys! I'm sure I'll spend as much as the gifts for DD but it won't appear that way to him.

Hmm...so any ideas? Anything you're doing? I thought about an air hockey table but we really don't have much room for one.

kristac
10-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Some sort of racetrack? Maybe a slot track? We are possibly getting Blutrack (http://www.blutrack.com) for DS this year- I thought it might be fun to have it wrap around the tree/ other gifts. We are also concidering Darda.

hbridge
10-26-2009, 08:39 AM
DD is 6 and wants a microscope and a metal detector (She's getting both). We already have a telescope that we use often. Also on the list is a spy kit, walkie talkies, and night vision goggles. She also has a digital voice recorder that gets used DAILY!

We were going to do the Air Hockey table last year, but only have room for a table top version and I couldn't find one that worked for us. We do have a pinball machine that's was handed down from a friend....

Jen841
10-26-2009, 10:07 AM
We are getting a good quality table that is durable for the 2 boys.

J is 6 and LOVES his sport guys... baseball and football he has (Baseball Guys by Kaskey Kids) and he has asked for hockey and soccer guys.

We have the M&D magic set, he likes it.

Legos, can't go wrong!

Games - Sorry, Trouble and Blokus are on his want list

Scooby Doo videos - bought Seasons 1 and 2 (500+ minutes!) from Amazon foe $25. Priceless!

Ordering SI Kids for him, 100% sports 24/7 in our house!

They need/want more Magic Treehouse Books

J loves cooking from the Paula Dean cookbook, and there is a new one so he'll get that.

Bella's Mommy
10-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Our 6yo old won a school raffle basket with an ipod and the idog - and to my surprise he absolutely loves it and uses it almost everyday. It became our favorite "special" birthday gift for children in that age group that require a "big" gift... http://www.hasbro.com/idog/ Also, I second the can't go wrong with Legos (and even a gift card for a custom designed lego set would be great for that age).

ohiomom1121
10-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Is he into dinosaurs? Spike Imaginext is a pretty wow toy. There's a red one at Target this year as well. Or a big Quadrilla Marble Run?

Piglet
10-26-2009, 12:13 PM
In our house, Lego has been king for a few years now, especially Star Wars Lego. Be warnde that it is an addiction among 7-8 year old boys and you will be buying it for every birthday, Christmas for a few more years.

Alternatively, my Nintendo DS is very popular with my 8 year old and he would have loved it as a present when he was 6. Again, the nice thing about the DS is that yuo have a built-in guft for years to come (games).

Momof3Labs
10-26-2009, 03:14 PM
I think an iPod with video capability, or a handheld game (Nintendo DS?) would fit the bill. A huge Lego set might, too, but I think that one of the former would get more use in the long run.

Quadrilla is a good idea, too. DS1 got one for his birthday and loves it!

Reader
10-26-2009, 03:35 PM
She also has a digital voice recorder that gets used DAILY!

Which one do you have? I've been looking for one for my 5 yo ds.

citymama
10-26-2009, 03:35 PM
What about the Playmobil Pirate ship? My nephew who is the same age just got it and LOVES it!

hbridge
10-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Which one do you have? I've been looking for one for my 5 yo ds.

It's just a basic Olympus (VN-5000), purchased at Radio Shack. DC LOVES that thing...

bnme
10-27-2009, 04:52 PM
-DS, if you allow video games. My 5 and 6 yo's have been begging for this for over a year. This year Santa will bring them.
-Start Wars stuff (vehicles, action figures. There are some pretty big and pricey ones, like the clone carrier)
-My boys love remote control vehicles of any type. The little helicopters are alot of fun, I forgot what they are called. And Target has micro cars in Mario characters which I know my kids would LOVE.
-Would he be into a real train set? My kids love DH's Lionels and I think this will grow into a hobby/collection for them all to share. They are already asking when we are going to set them up.

new_mommy25
10-27-2009, 05:46 PM
I think an iPod with video capability, or a handheld game (Nintendo DS?) would fit the bill. A huge Lego set might, too, but I think that one of the former would get more use in the long run.

I think this is a great idea!

We bought DS the Sansa Fuze last summer because we didn't want to pay full price for an ipod. It was on sale and we had a Best Buy gift card so it only cost us about $30. It's a great little mp3 player. It can do video, pictures, and music. It's very simple for DS to operate. It's so easy to load. I just drag and drop files into it. DS loves it and has taken very good care of it. :) If you can find a used or refurbished ipod nano that would also be a good option. The new ipod Nanos look awesome too, if you don't mind spending $140.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1202649765792&type=product