PDA

View Full Version : Should I send DD to daycare? (Urgent, must decide in next half hour)

ha98ed14
10-26-2009, 10:30 AM
DD has impetigo. It has been going around her daycare. When I picked her up on Friday, I noticed the spot for the first time and took her straight to urgent care that evening. (Not a fun way to spend your Friday night!) She has been using the bactoban for the past 2 days. The doctor said she could go back after being on the bactoban for 24 hours, so it has been that long.

My questions is more about appearances, I guess. I made a big stink about the boy who brought this to school. His parents always send him sick. So much so that I *knew* who the "culprit" was when I got the first note in my box that "my child had been exposed to impetigo." I think that the teachers are lax about enforcing the rules about coming sick and I told them and the director. That was a tense conversation. So now my child has it. The doctor says she can go back, but I feel like a hypocrite sending her because I made such a big stink. I could keep her home today, but I really need the time to study. She MUST go tomorrow because I have 2 classes. Another day won't make it go away because the doctor said it takes 8-10 days to disappear. WWYD? DH thinks I should keep her home, but he gets to go to work today...

egoldber
10-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Why don't you call them and see what they say? At ours, if they have been on the medication for the prescribed time, then they can come.

rfeibelm
10-26-2009, 10:39 AM
I would send her, with a note that she began treatment Friday night after being seen by the doctor and was cleared to return after 24hrs.

MamaMolly
10-26-2009, 10:40 AM
So if DD has been on Bactroban for 24 hours+ then she is no longer contaigious? If so then I think you are fine to send her, just make a point to tell them she has the doctor's clearance to go. As for appearances, I think sending her in with a spot that won't infect anyone else kinds proves your point, doesn't it? If Child A's parent's had done the same then DD wouldn't have it.

Impetigo is a PITA. So contaigious and icky. I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

JTsMom
10-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Assuming she's feeling fine, I'd send her with an explanation that, per the doctor, she is no longer contagious.

JustMe
10-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Since she is not contagious, I would have no problem sending her even know that I complained about other kids (they were contagious, different story). If you want to make sure the school understands where you're coming from I agree with the pps, send a note saying she has been on meds for X amount of hours, she is not contagious anymore, and the dr cleared her to go today.

ha98ed14
10-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to send her. I've already been in email communication with the director over the weekend telling her what I did, took DD to doc and what doc said. So I don't feel the need to call. If anything, I would only call if I was not going to send her, but it would be because I was dying on my sword of going above and beyond not to send DD sick.

I know it is not rational, but I can't help but feel annoyed by this kid and his family. He is one of those kids who always comes up and says hi to any adult when they come to drop off/ pick up, so I see him every. time. I know it's not his fault, but it still irks me...

MamaMolly
10-26-2009, 11:18 AM
I know it is not rational, but I can't help but feel annoyed by this kid and his family. He is one of those kids who always comes up and says hi to any adult when they come to drop off/ pick up, so I see him every. time. I know it's not his fault, but it still irks me...

Poor little guy, he sounds like he is needing some attention. Your description, plus knowing he comes in sick makes me sad for him. And you're right, it is totally not his fault. Try really hard to save the irked for the parents. They are the ones with the choices here.

MontrealMum
10-26-2009, 12:21 PM
I know I'm late to this thread, but I would just make a point of demonstrating that your DD has been to the doc, that she has an Rx, and that she's now not contagious.

I don't know whether they're supposed to apply this BActroban while she's there? DS usually needs a dose during the day, so the daycare needs to be informed. I've sent DS several times while on meds and our daycare requires a special form be signed by parents, then filled out by teachers as to when they administered the meds. The medicine has to have a prescription on it, so our pharmacy just gives us two bottles or tubes w/Rx on both - one for daycare, one for home (at the same price :) ) I have also asked for doctors notes too just to make sure the daycare knows that DS is no longer contagious. In the future I'd just ask for a doc note from whoever saw her at the time (about how long until the meds make her non-contagious), and I'd ask the pharmacy about the two bottles.

Like pp said, that you're sending her in while NOT contagious - but she obviously got it from somewhere (hint, hint) - is sending a message, and does not weaken your position IMHO.