PDA

View Full Version : Party to celebrate 2nd baby

lowrioh
10-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Friends of ours are expecting their second child in Jan and I was thinking of throwing them a baby "sprinkle" rather than a full blow shower. There is a six year age gap between their kids and I know that they gave most of there stuff away. I am lending them a bunch of gear but they are going to have to replace of lot of stuff. I was thinking about sending out an evite to our close friends and suggesting that guests bring the little necessities (onsies, receiving blankets, burp cloths etc). I generally don't like full blown showers for second and third children but I was wondering what people thought of this type of celebration?

Cheburashka
10-26-2009, 11:29 AM
I think a "sprinkle" is a cute idea. It might also be nice if guests brought something small for the first child - someone in another thread mentioned big brother/big sister books, and I think that's a fabulous idea. I've been to showers for second, third, fourth children, and most of the time, it's just for friends to get together with the mom to celebrate another baby. Little gifts were appreciated, but not asked for. One shower, one of the moms brought a cake that looked like it was pulled from cakewrecks (hers was intentionally bad though, she was laughing before the new-again mom even opened the box to see it). Thankfully, I've never been to a second or later shower where the mom had a giant registry with all-new everything a short time after having a baby. Those just blow my mind.

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2009, 11:51 AM
I have a 5.5y gap between kids and my friends (pretty much an all new social group since the 1st baby) threw me a sprinkle. It was lovely. They got me and the new baby small gifts. They also all went in on a nice diaper bag for me. It was small and easy- just a nice celebration of the new baby. eta- the sprinkle was at a local restaurant that has an afternoon tea.

Beth

MoJo
10-26-2009, 01:45 PM
I'd love to attend a "sprinkle" (and have attended full blown showers) for a second child.

Thanks for being such a good friend!

Tondi G
10-26-2009, 08:18 PM
I think it's a really nice thing to do for your friend! I had a shower for #2... it was more of a sprinkle though. No big gifts... just some clothes and blankets etc. I feel like EVERY child should be celebrated in some way.

citymama
10-26-2009, 08:39 PM
That's a really nice idea!

new_mommy25
10-26-2009, 09:02 PM
I think it is a great idea! In my circle, we love a party, and sprinkles are the norm for second, third, etc. children. Quite often, if we don't want to do gifts, we will all go in a get a gift card for Target or something similar so the mama can pick up the goods that she needs.

Kitten007
10-26-2009, 09:16 PM
I think that celebration is a PERFECT idea! I was sad when no one celebrated my second little one. No little tiny gifts or anything. So I bought him his own gifts. I think just because the baby is a second child (or third..or so on...) that they don't deserve presents and a celebration too. I always spoil everyone! Everyone deserves to have fun and feel special!

deannanb
10-26-2009, 09:22 PM
I was given a "sprinkle" for DS3 - I had created a registry for what I actually needed (or thought I might need based on experience) - I did not go crazy like I did with DS2. I put a britix car seat on it - and was SHOCKED when it showed up on my front door.

I had about 10 friends take me out for dinner - and everyone paid for themselves.

so super nice idea for your friend!

newg
10-26-2009, 10:03 PM
I love the idea of a "sprinkle"..........I just attended a neighborhood sprinkle and we all pitched in towards the group gift card or brought a pack of diapers.

HannaAddict
10-27-2009, 01:14 PM
I think a sprinkle is a great idea. But I would not suggest what to bring or say anything about gifts unless, of course, guests ask. I was invited to a sprinkle for a friend's second baby and requested to kick in $50 or more for a Phil & Ted double stroller by one of the hosts who I didn't even know. I actually replied I already had my gift (I did). I thought the ask was rather rude and I did not appreciate it, maybe since I had just had number 2 and boughty my own strollers!!

lowrioh
10-27-2009, 01:25 PM
I think a sprinkle is a great idea. But I would not suggest what to bring or say anything about gifts unless, of course, guests ask. I was invited to a sprinkle for a friend's second baby and requested to kick in $50 or more for a Phil & Ted double stroller by one of the hosts who I didn't even know. I actually replied I already had my gift (I did). I thought the ask was rather rude and I did not appreciate it, maybe since I had just had number 2 and boughty my own strollers!!

Thanks everyone for your input. I just asked a couple of close friends about the idea and they want to help out so we are going to start planning it.

Good point about not requesting gifts in the invite. The only reason I was thinking about putting it in there was so that people didn't think that they would be "expected" or feel pressured to buy a traditional baby shower type gift. I'm going to know everyone who is coming so maybe I will just casually mention the basket idea when I chat to them.