PDA

View Full Version : False negative pregnancy test?

siri
10-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi all,
This is my first post, but I have loved reading the various threads for months. I expected AF 9 days ago and so I took a HPT yesterday evening but it was negative :((I was really disappointed). I have a 11m BF DS and AF returned when he was 7m old and it has been a regular 28 cycle since its return. I have some sx of pregnancy like tiredness and inc urination (self-fulling prophecy?) I am wondering if the HPT could have been a false negative even though I took it 9days after i expected AF.

On a side note, when I was pregnant with my first DS, my first HPT was negative, but I took it only 1 day after I expected AF. It was positive when I took it 7 days after I was late (hence the reason I waited over a week to take a HPT this time around).

Any one else have similar experiences? I am dying to take another HPT today but wonder if I should wait another week.

Tondi G
10-26-2009, 12:22 PM
did you test with 1st morning urine? If not do that tomorrow morning.

edurnemk
10-26-2009, 12:29 PM
A close friend had several false negatives with HPT, She was 6 weeks pg when it finally came out positive, this is very common.

MoJo
10-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Welcome, siri!

I agree with Tondi, try again in the morning.

I also had a false negative (though not over a week late) with this pregnancy, before I got my positive. I was pretty sure I was pregnant anyway - and I was!

Hope you get the same result!

AnnieW625
10-26-2009, 12:38 PM
I had a very faint line on the first HPT I took almost two months ago before I was actually due to get my period, but my boobs were already sore so I though, just maybe. I went to the drs. office the following day, but the test still said negative. So I took another test on the day after or so that I was suppose to get my period and it was instantly two bright pink lines, and then went back to the drs. office again and took their test and it was positive. So I would try again in a few days. I got my period back with DD when she was 3 mos. old and still EBF but also went on the lite mini pill so my period was back to normal within a month or two, but I have heard that it can take a couple of months to readjust. Good luck!

siri
10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the replies! I am starting to feel better. The HPT box can be very intimindating with its 99% ACCURACY boldly printed on the box. It is good to hear that other people have had false negatives also. Since I have to go out and buy another test, does anyone recommend a particular brand they really liked or do you think it doesn't matter?

I will keep you posted.

AnnieW625
10-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Except for one generic test I bought at a Kaiser pharmacy (across the street from work), which was accurate (got my period a few hours later) I have had the best luck with First Response. I did get some EPT ones a long time ago because I had a coupon for $3 off or something crazy like that, and they came out negative (and I ended up with period later), but they took forever and the one digital one I got free didn't work.

MoJo
10-26-2009, 02:15 PM
I think I've read that they are really all the same.

I used Answer because I was already using their OPTs and they were inexpensive.

Snow mom
10-26-2009, 03:40 PM
It seems with home pregnancy tests positives are positives but negatives could be positives. Wow, that doesn't make any sense but hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say. It seems a bit odd that you are so late and the test came back negative. Usually if you are late and pregnant the test will show that. False negatives are common when you test early. Try testing first thing in the morning when the hormone is most concentrated in your urine. Maybe you should try a different brand too. I know lots of people here like the dollar store tests.

Fairy
10-26-2009, 03:43 PM
My understanding has always been that a good approach is that a positive is a positive is a positive; a negative is a maybe.

Twoboos
10-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Just wanted to say that I got two negatives that led to two babies!! :) GL!

Tondi G
10-26-2009, 03:45 PM
I had good luck with the early first response brand!

Indianamom2
10-26-2009, 04:09 PM
I've always had good luck with First Response.

That being said, DS #2 was a negative test after I was late. Then a couple days later...it was positive.

Good luck!

Christina

siri
10-27-2009, 01:43 PM
So, I took another test and still negative. It is just odd that I been having clockwork 28day cycles since my son turned 7m and now I am on day 40! With two negative tests I have pretty much given up hope that I am pregnant. Maybe BF is just playing havoc on my cycles. I will probably test again in a week if I still have not gotten my pd.

MoJo
10-27-2009, 01:56 PM
I was wondering about you this morning!

I would do the test again in another week for sure, and if you still don't have AF or a positive, I'd call the doc. There are other things besides pregnancy that can stop your normal cycle. For me, several years ago, that was a tumor on my pituitary (which was treatable with medicine and is now completely gone).

tmarie
10-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Yes. I had a false negative on the first day I could take the test. The next day I took another first thing in the morning and it was positive. GL!

babybunny
10-27-2009, 02:28 PM
I too had pretty stable cycles and then went one cycle that was 40+ days this summer. I went through mutiple tests that were negative. (I was kind of hoping they would come out positive). I finally figured that maybe my recent return to working out (more like boot camp!) could have influenced my cycle. My OB/GYN agreed. Back to regular cycles now and less workouts.

MamaMolly
10-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Hmmmm at 40 days I agree I'd make an appointment just to make sure everything was OK. They could even do a blood test to be sure about the negatives.

siri
10-28-2009, 12:40 PM
I made a Ob/Gyn appt for Friday and AF came this morning. I guess I will be canceling the appt. Disappointing. I guess DH and I will have to try again:wink2: I hope this 41 day cycle was just an anomaly because it will be harder for me to track ovulation. Thanks for all the support.

MoJo
10-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Sorry it didn't work for you this time. I know how disappointing that is.

I have had great success with the Answer Ovulation Predictor strips. They say you should test every day, but I have a long irregular cycle/ovulate late, so I usually wait 'til day 14 to start testing. Then I can use the strips for two cycles (they expire about a month after they are opened.)

HTH!