PDA

View Full Version : birthday traditions

soontobe
10-26-2009, 12:49 PM
It is ds's bday this saterday and I wanted to start a family birthday tradition that we would do for everyone's birthday each year. the problem is that i can't think of any:) do you have one? can you share some ideas please!!!

Cheburashka
10-26-2009, 12:53 PM
My family didn't have any traditions, really. We got to pick out a birthday meal, and that was about it. I'd love to hear ideas, something to keep in the back of my mind for my own DC.

MMEand1
10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
We did not have any birthday traditions growing up- we really did not celebrate birthdays too much at all, so I never really thought of it as anything other than just another day. Half the time I totally forget about it even on that day! I had one guy at work bring me a gift and cake one year and I could not figure out why, until he reminded me that it was my birthday!

So anyway...what we started doing is either picking up my DC from school and taking them out to lunch, or bringing them a special lunch at school (ie My DD loves sushi, so we will probably bring her some of that up for lunch). Last year we picked up my DS and took him out in town to a seafood restaurant that he wanted to go to. We then brought him back to school to finish up the day. We had a cake after dinner that night.

HIU8
10-26-2009, 01:34 PM
MIL bought us this cake plate that spins around and flashes colored lights and plays happy bday. The kids love it. We use it every year for their family bday celebrations. that is our only tradition right now.

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2009, 01:34 PM
I bake the cake. That is probably the biggest one.

At our family/ close friends' party I have the guests fill out a paper that they are supposed to write a favorite memory with ds from the year, a prediction for the future, a wish for him...something like that. My family groans but I am so glad I have them because it has been fun to look back at all of the ones for ds1.

Birthday kid gets to call the shots on their b-day wrt food and activities as much as possible.

eta- I made a red You are Special plate and I serve the b-day person's cake on it. I also always, always hang our birthday banner up so it is there 1st thing in the morning. We have taken to doing things like filling ds1's room with balloons.

Beth

lizzywednesday
10-26-2009, 01:36 PM
My M-I-L's family used to have a red plate that the birthday child could use because it was special and a sign that it was their special day.

Here's a link to a blog collecting stories about it:

http://redplatestories.blogspot.com/

HTH!

LarsMal
10-26-2009, 01:43 PM
This was the first year we let DS pick what he wanted for his birthday dinner. He said he really wanted to go to Ruby Tuesday (or Tuesday Wednesday as he calls it). What's funny is that he has food allergies and can't eat anything there- other than tortilla chips and french fries. We went, because that's what he picked, but I had to bring his food with us! :)

- I bake the birthday treat and let them pick what they want. (not the first birthday)

- I always buy a mylar balloon or 2 and attach it to their chair (or high chair).

- My kids each have their own PBK anywhere chair, so for the first year I took a picture of them in their chair every month and after that I do it on their birthday. (I only plan to do it until they are 5 I think!)

purpleeyes
10-26-2009, 02:01 PM
For birthday mornings, I decorate their chairs and make chocolate chip pancakes. THey also get to open one gift. The birthday kids gets to eat off of a special birthday plate.

For the dinner, the birthday kids can pick the meal (which I would make) or pick a restaurant.

jgenie
10-26-2009, 02:04 PM
I bake the cake. That is probably the biggest one.

At our family/ close friends' party I have the guests fill out a paper that they are supposed to write a favorite memory with ds from the year, a prediction for the future, a wish for him...something like that. My family groans but I am so glad I have them because it has been fun to look back at all of the ones for ds1.

Birthday kid gets to call the shots on their b-day wrt food and activities as much as possible.

eta- I made a red You are Special plate and I serve the b-day person's cake on it. I also always, always hang our birthday banner up so it is there 1st thing in the morning. We have taken to doing things like filling ds1's room with balloons.

Beth

Beth - did you buy or make your birthday banner? TIA

wendibird22
10-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Growing up we got to pick a restaurant.

DH growing up had a quarter (wrapped in foil) baked into their birthday cake. The person with the quarter in their slice got to keep it. So, DH insists on doing this for us now. Yup, nothing says happy birthday like some metal baked in your cake. In his defense, it was a tradition that his grandma did for his dad and sibs. They had 8 kids and were poor, so finding the quarter was a big deal. I'm happy to let DH carry on that tradition.

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Beth - did you buy or make your birthday banner? TIA

I keep looking at Etsy ones but so far I just have a $6 one from Target.

Beth

karenj2
10-26-2009, 02:12 PM
When we were kids, we would blow out our candles on the cake (making a wish), and a slice would be cut. The caveat was that once we started eating the slice of cake we couldn't talk until the piece was eaten or our wish wouldn't come true. (I think this was started to keep my dad sane, since he had three chatterbox daughters.) :)

It was horrible in our teenage years, because the other sisters would tease us about boys in our grade, and we couldn't do anything but blush... I wized up, though, and always asked for a small first piece of cake so I could eat it quickly, then got a bigger second helping! :p

I made a handpainted plate that says Happy Birthday, so that will definitely be a tradition when our kid is born.

Cheburashka
10-26-2009, 02:20 PM

I love this idea! You could make a lovely scrapbook with the pieces of paper and pictures to accompany it for when the DC graduates high school, gets married, w/e. I'm definitely saving this whole thread, some great ideas here.

KpbS
10-26-2009, 02:26 PM
DH and I wake up the birthday DC in the morning singing Happy Birthday the day of their birthday. The first couple of years we also decorated with streamers when they were asleep so they would have a fun surprise in the morning.

JenaW
10-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Hubby and I decorate the dining room the night before. We hang our "Happy BDay" banner, and blow up some balloons. We decorate the birthday child's chair. DH makes a cute sign with the age on it (which we usually save in their "baby" box). DH goes to work before the rest of us are up, so we usually celebrate in the eve with a birthday dinner (either fav meal at home or go out), cake, and presents. But I like to do something special for breakfast, so I often make a birthday "sundae" - yogurt, fresh fruit, whip cream, sprinkles, granola, and a candle for the birthday child, or serve muffins with a candle.