PDA

View Full Version : Gate off sibling's room?

lmwbasye
10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
DS1 just turned 5 and DS2 just turned 2. All bedrooms and the kitchen are on the top floor of our split/level house. The "middle" floor is just the playroom and downstairs is laundry/living/guest bedroom.

Anyway, we are starting to have issues with the boys. The generally play well together but there are times (of course) that DS1 is starting to want to be left alone. Either to play on his own for awhile or relax and look at books...just have some downtime as he is a bit of a spirited child and needs that. He does have 90 minutes of quiet time in his room while the other one naps. Well, the problem is that lately, it has been impossible at other times to keep DS2 out of his brother's room while he is wanting to play on his own. Plus, there are starting to be some safety issues as the older one's toys are getting more complex and can be choking hazards (i.e. Legos).

My question is should I gate off DS1's room or the hallway (blocking all 3 rooms, though, including DS2's. Or i could gate off the playroom but then DS2 would be confined to just the one space and that's not ideal (plus the gate would probably be more of a superyard that DS1 cannot get through to so he can go in the playroom. Or I could just leave as is and try to help DS1 deal with his brother and REALLY keep an eye on the Legos and things (FWIW...DS2 puts EVERYTHING in his mouth still...even at 2).

Anyway, just wanting to see what others have done. I've searched threads, but it sounds like a lot of rooms are upstairs (vs. main living area) and so easier to gate off as a whole.

I've been wracking my brain on this so TIA!!

Laurel
10-26-2009, 03:02 PM
I also have a two year-old and a five year-old. My 5 year-old knows that when she needs space, her room is her sanctuary. Anywhere else in the house, she has to share the space with her brother. If she shuts her bedroom door, I know to keep my 2 year-old out out.

I'd gate off the 5 year-old's room as long as he can work the gate easily.