PDA

View Full Version : Which Dyson Animal?

Indianamom2
10-26-2009, 03:54 PM
I have thin, old (16 years) Berber carpet and ceramic tile downstairs and regular (16 year old) nylon pile carpet upstairs. We have 2 cats and a German Shep. shedding dog.

Which Dyson Animal (preferably not a ball version) would you suggest. I will almost certainly be buying refurbed. Is it worth the extra money to buy a newer/later model or will an older one be just as good?

Thanks,
Christina

BillK
10-26-2009, 04:13 PM
The "Animal" - or any other verbage with Dyson only indicates what accessories are included and where that model was/is sold. For example there are like 10 versions of the DC14 (animal, ultimate, costco, target, sears etc) - each one ships with different accessories - but they're all the same exact machine other than the color of the unit itself.

So a Dyson Animal isn't going to pickup any better than a Dyson Costco version if they're both a DC14 - one is purple one is white - both have different accessories included - same machine.

That said - our DC14 is still going strong probably 4 years later - that's the non-ball version. I think the DC15 was the ball version during that time period.

I'd personally buy one at Costco if you have one close - the "forever" warranty is more than worse the extra cost imo.

Indianamom2
10-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks, but no Costco nearby!

I'm thinking of buying a refurbed one from Ebay that has a 3 yr. warranty from an authorized dealer. The prices range from $280-$330, depending on the model, with free shipping. Is that a good deal? (This would be for the non-ball Animal, either DC-15 or 17.)

Christina

BillK
10-26-2009, 05:00 PM
I think the DC17 at Costco was $399 last I noticed when I was there. So I guess $280 is pretty decent.

AnnieW625
10-26-2009, 05:10 PM
I paid $440 for my DC 14 from Costco 18 mos. ago new. I would only buy a refurbished product directly from the manufacturer and it looks like Dyson can meet that $280 to $330 price range, and you can get a Dyson ball for just under $400!
http://www.dyson.com/specialOffers/gradedSales.asp