PDA

View Full Version : At a loss, could use your advice

ShayleighCarsensMom
10-26-2009, 04:20 PM
I could really use some advice reguarding a bad case of mommy brain.
Almost a month ago I sold a costume on ebay. I was in such a hurry to pack it up that I accidently threw my only full set of keys in the box with the costume.
I realized this within hours of the postman picking up my package.
I emailed the buyer, explained what happened, she said she'd let me know if she got them.
A few days later she emails, said "I have your keys, give me your address and I'll drop them in the mail".
I gave her my address and told her that I would gladly refund her $20 for her trouble as soon as the keys arrived back here. Well it's been almost a month, no keys. I've emailed and emailed and called and called....all with no response.
I've thought about mailing out a self addressed stamped envelope...but I'm at a loss.
Anyone have any helpful tips?
Thanks

Claki
10-26-2009, 04:21 PM
I would change my locks!

Indianamom2
10-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Wow, I'm pretty sure I'd change my locks too, even though it's probably overkill.

I'm inclined to think that the buyer probably fully intended to mail your keys right back, but got busy and forgot...however, it's a little disconcerting that you can't get in touch with him/her anymore.

I'm not sure what else to suggest. Good luck!

Christina

MamaMolly
10-26-2009, 05:14 PM
It is the no response thing that is so weird, you know? I can understand her forgetting, but not with so many reminders. If she sent it parcel post it could well take a month to get to you (it would be the cheapest). Hmmmmm. I'd be tempted to write it off, but I really wish you'd get a reply. When you call is there no answer, or does she just not pick up? If there is no answer she might have moved or something.

kozachka
10-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Change locks, or at least one lock and be sure to use it EVERY time. There are so many scammers out there that it is simply not worth the chance. You don't have to replace the whole lock, just the insider part of it. Check out Home Depot or Lowe's, chances are it won't be much more than $20 that you'd have to refund to the buyer for mailing the keys to you.

blisstwins
10-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I would change my locks. It happens and don't be hard on yourself. Even if she returns the keys she could have made copies and she has your address. I just could not be comfortable with that. Overkill I am sure, but better safe than sorry.

ShayleighCarsensMom
10-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Ugh...y'all are telling me exactly what I don't want to hear, but yes, I agree!
I would like to think that another mom wouln't drive clear accross the country to rob us, and I can tell you, she'd be sorely dissappointed, unless she's looking for toys!
Thanks everyone!

Snow mom
10-26-2009, 09:45 PM
You can just have the locks you have rekeyed. Call some locksmiths for quotes.

TwinFoxes
10-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Honestly, if she's on the other side of the country, I can't imagine her putting in the effort to rob you. Crooks like things easy (although having a set of keys is pretty easy!) She probably just hates going to the post office like the rest of us. And I never answer my home phone, that's where all of the telemarketers call. Friends and family call my cell.

So, good news, she probably isn't going to rob you. Bad news, I doubt you'll get your keys anytime soon. :(

nrp
10-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Honestly, if she's on the other side of the country, I can't imagine her putting in the effort to rob you. Crooks like things easy (although having a set of keys is pretty easy!) She probably just hates going to the post office like the rest of us. And I never answer my home phone, that's where all of the telemarketers call. Friends and family call my cell.

So, good news, she probably isn't going to rob you. Bad news, I doubt you'll get your keys anytime soon. :(

I agree. As long as she doesn't live anywhere close, I honestly can't believe she'd try to use your keys to rob you. I think maybe I'd try the SASE route to give her one last chance, to make it as easy as possible.

lchang25000
10-26-2009, 11:49 PM
I would change my locks regardless just for a piece of mind. I recently discovered that my housekey was missy from my keychain and I knew there was no way it could have fallen off by itself. I then remember that I had my car washed, serviced, etc. recently and couldn't get the thought out of my head that someone must have taken it. I immediately called the locksmith to have all my locks changed. It was overdue since we just moved into this house a few months ago and I meant to change the locks anyways. I will NEVER leave my housekey on my keychain when I hand my keys to someone ever again!!

SammyeGail
10-27-2009, 02:18 PM
I could really use some advice reguarding a bad case of mommy brain.
Almost a month ago I sold a costume on ebay. I was in such a hurry to pack it up that I accidently threw my only full set of keys in the box with the costume.
I realized this within hours of the postman picking up my package.
I emailed the buyer, explained what happened, she said she'd let me know if she got them.
A few days later she emails, said "I have your keys, give me your address and I'll drop them in the mail".
I gave her my address and told her that I would gladly refund her $20 for her trouble as soon as the keys arrived back here. Well it's been almost a month, no keys. I've emailed and emailed and called and called....all with no response.
I've thought about mailing out a self addressed stamped envelope...but I'm at a loss.
Anyone have any helpful tips?
Thanks

I am so sorry this happened, that she even emailed you and said she had the keys! first I would send her an email thru ebay stating that it has been a month, a reasonable amount of time, you have not received your keys, the refund of $20 is no longer being offered. That way you are protected, you have sent her a mssg thru ebay, kwim? Have you tried that already? It might get you a reply from her....but from what you have said, probably not.

Lossing keys is a huge PITA, my step-daughter stole mine (I am convinced ;)) when we were letting her practice driving on our dead-end street, cost me $90 to get where I worked re-keyed, luckly it was a small lawyers office. I mostly hated loosing the remote to my car!

I would just have to suck it up and get the house rekeyed. It doesn't sound right that she's not contacting you. At least you have the $20 refund to put toward it ;).

So sorry this has happened. I hope everything goes smoothly with the rekeying and all. Even if she lives 1/2 across the country, you never know if she has family/friends in your area. Better to be safe than sorry.

Samantha