PDA

View Full Version : Are funtainers worth the money??

Pennylane
10-26-2009, 07:32 PM
I think I am ready to break down and buy a few. I know my DC are getting tired of eating the same thing every day for lunch. Do they really keep the food hot? If I put something like chicken nuggets in them will they be warm 3 or 4 hours later??

Thanks,
Ann

Melaine
10-26-2009, 07:36 PM
I think so. They work well for keeping food warm, especially if you follow the directions about filling with hot/warm water ahead of time. I actually just saw a few on clearance at Walgreens which surprised me. I thought they would have been long gone. You might want to check.

kijip
10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
My 6 year old son has a hard time opening them. I know other kids his age open them, but I have watched him try and it just does not work for him. So ours has, to date, been a waste for him. And now I take soup in the Transformer one that was on clearance. :jammin:

kozachka
10-26-2009, 07:51 PM
I think they are worth the money. Like your DC, my DS was getting tired of eating the same thing for lunch and asking me to let him eat at school. Other incentive was a chance to have chocolate milk, but that's a whole different story. Not only it is cheaper for me to pack lunch for DS but it is also much healthier than what he would eat (or not) at school.

We pack lunch around 7:50-8:00, DS has lunch around 12:30. According to DS it gets colder but is still warm. I have not tried pouring hot water into Funtaner before putting food into it. It should help even more I am sure.

bubbaray
10-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Ditto, worth the money for us.

Tondi G
10-26-2009, 08:04 PM
It has been worth it for us!

DS takes soups, stew, spaghetti, tortillini, hot dogs etc.

My DS is picky about food not being warm ... just started being ok with cold leftover pizza again. He will happily eat from the funtainer thermos!

Pennylane
10-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to get them. It would be nice for the kids to have a hot lunch with the weather getting colder.

Ann

niccig
10-26-2009, 09:37 PM
I put a pyrex measuring cup with about 1.5 cups of water in the microwave and I cook it for a few minutes - until the water is bubbling. Then I pour that in the funtainer and put the lid on, while I cook the food. DS says things are still warm.

His favourite dish is oatmeal in the funtainer. I then put a little bit of maple syrup in a small container, so he can pour it over the oatmeal.

I think DS's teacher helps with opening the funtainer, but he's still in pre-K.

manda
10-26-2009, 09:49 PM
My 6 year old son has a hard time opening them. I know other kids his age open them, but I have watched him try and it just does not work for him. So ours has, to date, been a waste for him. And now I take soup in the Transformer one that was on clearance. :jammin:

My daughter had a hard time opening it, too. She was trying to turn the lid while holding the funtainer like a cup. I showed her that it might be easier if she held the bottom with one hand and turned the lid with the other. She has been able to open it ever since. Maybe that could help?

MMMommy
10-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Definitely worth it for us. I use it for things like chow mein, pasta, fried rice, etc.