PDA

View Full Version : Croup= no preschool tomorrow?

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Just making sure I need to keep ds2 home from preschool tomorrow. He woke up in the middle of the night last night and at naptime today with that awful seal like cough. Otherwise he has been happy, healthy and eating/ playing like normal. Still, it's contagious though and he needs to stay home, right?

It's been a few years since we had to deal with croup. Dr. Sears just says that it's as contagious as a cold and so I'm not quite sure what to do.

Beth

maestramommy
10-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I'd wait at least 24 hours. You just never know when that cough will start up again. :hug:

MommyAllison
10-26-2009, 10:43 PM
I'd definitely keep him home tomorrow. It usually peaks the second night. I wouldn't send him back til he had 24 hours croupy-cough free. Hope he feels better soon!

kijip
10-26-2009, 11:58 PM
I wouldn't send him back til he had 24 hours croupy-cough free.

:yeahthat:

Croup is very contagious and in some kids can lead to complications and hospital stays (T's best friend was hospitalized a number of times with croup).

I hope he feels soon.

egoldber
10-27-2009, 09:20 AM
FWIW, croup is not a specific illness. In some kids, a viral infection produces a croup response (swelling of vocal cords and barky cough). Of my kids, Amy tends to get croup and Sarah seldom does even when they both have the same thing.

If he is fever free and seems fine, I'd send him personally.

SnuggleBuggles
10-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Beth, that is exactly what they said at preschool when I called. They said since he was fever free and his nose wasn't running that I could send him. I did keep him home because I was already on my way to an appointment when I called the school (dh was home with ds2). He'll go Thurs..

Thanks everyone. :) I have both boys home today; ds2 with the croup and ds1 home with a mild fever. Both seem quite happy and healthy and are playing Wii as I type.

Beth