PDA

View Full Version : Accountability is a good thing

infomama
10-26-2009, 11:45 PM
I want to go PT and it means trimming the fat. DH and I agreed to go into a trial income phase where we would budget/live off of my projected PT income while I am still FT and see how it 'feels'. I am writing down everything I spend and I have to say for the first time in years I trucked through Target without making any unplanned purchases. I don't miss what I didn't buy and I am pretty proud of myself for sticking to my list. I am planning ahead more (packing snacks and drinks for longer outings vs. buying them out and making weekly meal plans) and I know that these seemingly small changes (ever heard of the latte factor?) are going to make or break this plan.
I think I can....I think I can.....

baymom
10-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Good job, Infomamma! I know you can, I know you can.... :)

KpbS
10-27-2009, 12:14 AM
You can totally do this. It will take self discipline, but your goals are within your reach. Go for it!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Stay away from the bargain board!:ROTFLMAO:

doberbrat
10-27-2009, 07:43 AM
weird isnt it?

I'm prepping for an unpaid maternity leave so for the past few months, my mantra has been "Fiscal Responsibility" I avoid Target, slickdeals and the bargain board!

I've even switched some of my rx so I dont go to Target b/c its too hard to just run in and get the rx - there's always $100 woth of stuff that falls into my cart!

Snow mom
10-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Stay away from the bargain board!:ROTFLMAO:

:yeahthat: Nice job! Keep it up.

wellyes
10-27-2009, 08:10 AM
I went PT a year and a half ago. We went from never worry about money to being one of the couples who call each other when we want to spend more than $100. And it is absolutely, postively, unquestionably WORTH IT. Good for you!!

jgenie
10-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Great job! Keep your eye on the prize and you'll be surprised what you can live without. GL

Melaine
10-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Bravo! Sounds like something we should all be doing.

egoldber
10-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Good for you!! I found cutting out treats and recreational shopping was hard at first, but once I did it, I really never missed it.

And I agree about avoiding the "bargain" board. It's not a bargain if you didn't need it or want it in the first place. I have stopped buying ahead and just looking for deals on what I need when I absolutely need it. I save a lot of money that way which I know seems contrary at first. But overall, we buy less so it works out to be a big savings.

MamaMolly
10-27-2009, 10:09 AM
:cheerleader1: I'm so proud of you! Sounds like you are planning this PT change just right, with your eyes wide open. Recreational shopping, or Retail Therapy as I call it :) is a habit that is easy to fall into, but you can break it. First it is hard, then it gets better, then all the sudden you find yourself thinking of it as a challenge!

The holiday sale shopping is going to be a minefield. Keep your eyes on the goal, and you'll get through just fine. Remember to ask yourself Is it a *need* or a *want*? That is my trick!

PS LOVE your siggy. I'm sooooooo going to keep that in my head!

sste
10-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Congratulations!

If you are looking for more techniques, I always remind myself when I want to buy how much STRESS my stuff causes me - - I will need to store the new item, pick it up and put it away, it will decrease the space in my house and cause more clutter/claustrophia. I visualize the new item in a cluttered area of my house, hemming me in, cutting off my "mental" air space!! By the time I am done visualizing this I am practically running emptyhanded from the target aisle breathing sighs of relief that I didn't buy anything. . .

karenj2
10-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Way to go! I've got to do the same thing - got about 4 months 'til "Nemo" arrives, and I'd like to have a plan in place.

One thing that has helped me (until I lapsed) is using a program from www.youneedabudget.com. We currently live off of last month's salary, which gives us an automatic buffer, plus when I was using the program I actually was able to set aside a pretty good amount towards our emergency fund (which won't be touched unless we lose a job), plus the Christmas account, and another savings account to repay the loan we took out to go through IVF.

I've never had issues with "retail therapy" - the stores I like are too far out of my way - but between the IVF, our recently departed dog, and buying stuff for the baby, I've let the budget slide, and it shows in our accounts.

Anyway, congrats again and keep up the good work!

infomama
10-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Congratulations!

If you are looking for more techniques, I always remind myself when I want to buy how much STRESS my stuff causes me - - I will need to store the new item, pick it up and put it away, it will decrease the space in my house and cause more clutter/claustrophia.
Thia is so true. Thanks for that reminder.

SammyeGail
10-27-2009, 06:44 PM
One thing that has helped me (until I lapsed) is using a program from www.youneedabudget.com. We currently live off of last month's salary, which gives us an automatic buffer, plus when I was using the program I actually was able to set aside a pretty good amount towards our emergency fund (which won't be touched unless we lose a job), plus the Christmas account, and another savings account to repay the loan we took out to go through IVF.

I've never had issues with "retail therapy" - the stores I like are too far out of my way - but between the IVF, our recently departed dog, and buying stuff for the baby, I've let the budget slide, and it shows in our accounts.

Anyway, congrats again and keep up the good work!

I just want to say AMEN Sister, LOL on the IVF, it wiped out our savings and equity in the house we sold, we did 2 cycles with extra procedures done (first one didn't work). Needless to say, we have some very expensive babies, but totally worth it all!

I do have issues with therapy shopping : (.

To the OP, way to go!! Huge pat on the back to you! :boogie: Our small town has a Wal-Mart, Target is 45 minutes away. I would love to have a Target closer (I hate Walmart, lol), DH even runs in sometimes when he picks DS up from his special school, he told me the other night 'now I get it about Target, its really great in there!' ROFL!!

Keep up the good work, I have to hault my therapy shopping, but it is so true about those little things we really don't need.

Sam

bigpassport
10-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Yay for you!!!!! That's awesome. I try to ask myself, is this more important than staying home with DS? Usually, the answer is NO! Keep up the good work!