PDA

View Full Version : Ear re-pierce question

baymom
10-26-2009, 11:48 PM
We had dd's ears pierced at age 7 months and she wore the same pair until her 1st birthday. My parents gave her a beautiful pair of diamond studs for her 1st birthday and that was the first and only time I have ever changed her ear-rings. I have removed them to clean, but always immediately put them right back in.

Well, now she is 3 1/2 and I noticed that one ear-ring had a lot of wax around it and I took it out to clean. Her ear lob looked a bit crusty to me, so I didn't put the earring back in, so her ear could 'dry out.' That was yesterday and today, when I tried to put it back in, it seemed that the hole had closed up. I iced it and tried to apply a bit of pressure to get it back in, but it didn't work. It caused her poor ear to bleed and I'm heart-broken that I did that to her. :-( So, my question is: Do I take her to Claire's ASAP to re-pierce the hole or should I wait a week or so, to give her ear time to heal. Which would be the least traumatic? I'll call the ped and Claire's in the am, but was wondering what you ladies thought. I'm beside myself for letting this happen to her. When I apologized to her for hurting her ear, she said in a tiny voice, "It's okay, Mumma...it will feel better soon." :-(

infomama
10-26-2009, 11:51 PM
I can't imagine her ears would have closed up that fast after wearing earring for so many years. I would focus on healing her ear (if it is infected) and them try reinserting the earring. You may not have had the angle just right.

baileygirl
10-27-2009, 12:27 AM
With my own ears (and friends) I always had a lot of luck inserting the earring backwards and pulling on the ear lobe while putting the earring in.

kransden
10-27-2009, 12:40 AM
With my own ears (and friends) I always had a lot of luck inserting the earring backwards and pulling on the ear lobe while putting the earring in.
:yeahthat:

AshleyAnn
10-27-2009, 04:24 AM
What ever you do DO NOT take her to claires. They are just going to punch another hole through whatever scar tissue/issues are going on in the ear. Its more likely to get infected and have the holes (right to left ear) not match up properly.

Take her to a professional piercing place (might be part of a tattoo shop). They are trained in handling infections and issues that come up from letting a hold partially close. They KNOW piercings - much more than position gun and pull trigger - and they are used to people taking the rings out and then not being able to get it back in. They can help you even if its just a matter of getting the hole to line up for the ring to pass through.

The girl who pierced my belly button had taken more classes and held more certifications than you would believe. She had nearly 2 dozen certificates in infection control and other health stuff on top of her piercing courses. I trust her more than I trust my doctor when it comes to my belly button ring.

Wife_and_mommy
10-27-2009, 08:19 AM
A big :yeahthat: to all PP's esp. AshleyAnn. The hole would not have closed that quickly. I'd clean it and reinsert the earring.

FWIW, my DD was pierced at 5 months but hasn't worn earrings from 3-5.5 yo due to allergy issues. I periodically squeeze the "gunk" out of them for maintenance. She definitely still has the piercings.

Hugs to your DD. What a sweetie. :)

Cheburashka
10-27-2009, 08:33 AM

That's how my mom would do mine, when I had issues with my holes. Ice it for a few minutes, then stick it back in.

Also agree to go to a piercing place. They can give you good tips on what to do if her ear gets crusty again and tips on how to prevent it.

ILoveLucy
10-27-2009, 08:40 AM
That happens to me all the time, and I've had mine pierced for 28 years, so obviously they aren't closing. In my case, I get a crust over the back of my earlobe and makes it next to impossible to get an earring in.

IMO they don't need repiercing, it is probably just a little infection or dermatitis or some other skin reaction. I'd try some antibiotic cream or call her doctor for advice and/or some ointment to clear it up.

AnnieW625
10-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Her ear is most likely infected. Squeeze it a bit and see if puss comes out. I have had my first holes done 22 years ago at 10 and everytime I wear my earings too much this happens. Also try a dull needle like a tapestry needle or one of your hoop earings. I have done the backwards thing too and sometimes that works.